We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recommendations for family w/older kids

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Recommendations for family w/older kids

Hi everyone, we are visiting Kauai in October, staying in Poipu at Whalers Cove. My huband and I have been to Kauai twice before but over 10 years ago. We are traveling with our 3 kids, ages 11, 8 and 8. We are looking for family-friendly restaurant recommendations for a dinner or two out and they do not have to be in the Poipu area. I've looked at some of the restaurant posts but they are older and we are looking for some updated recommendations. We are looking for a relatively nice place to dine but nothing too over the top.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michelle

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Recommendations for family w/older kids

Keoki's is fun for kids of all ages (my FIL really enjoyed it, but maybe that was the Wrong Island Iced Tea talking). Plantation Gardens is nice- sit on the lanai and the kids can explore the orchid garden and koi ponds while waiting for the food to come out.

I love Wranglers Steakhouse in Waimea - not necessarily the greatest food (though I always enjoy the kau kau tin) but the setting is unique.

The burgers at North Shore Grindz in the Princeville Chevron put Bubba's and Duane's burgers to shame IMO.

Olympic Cafe in Kapa'a and Brennecke's in Poipu are both on the second story and have great views of the world below (main street Kapa'a in the first instance, Poipu beach in the second).

I meant to check out the new Brick Oven Pizza in Kapa'a last year but didn't get to it - it has a buffet a couple nights a week that is supposed to be good and relatively inexpensive.

Of course Puka Dog in the Poipu Shopping Village is worth a stop, and Lappert's Ice Cream at Kukui'ula Center.

Definitely check out a Farmer's Market or two - your kids will get to try crazy new fruits.

I'm sure others will chime with their favorites.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Recommendations for family w/older kids

Not much changes here fast. The old list is pretty much the list today.

Might consider Tortilla Republic on the South Side. Excellent upscale Mexican.

California
Level Contributor
35,525 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Recommendations for family w/older kids

Are you willing to drive?

Duke's is popular. Keoki's is owned by the same company and is very good. Kids do like this place. Every place is "family friendly" but some places are more expensive and you might not want to put out the big bucks. If you do want a nice dinner out, Plantation Garden, Tidepools at the Hyatt and Beach House are good choices. I believe they all have under 12 menus.

There are few new restaurants on the island, but like previously mentioned, the reviews stay pretty much the same.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Recommendations for family w/older kids

blueflamingo and jebett, thanks for the recommendations, they look wonderful and we don't mind driving and spending some $$$ for a dinner or two, we are on vacation. We stayed in Kapaa the last two times but we thought Poipu in Oct would be a area to stay with kids. I am glad to hear that not much changes on Kauai since it is perfect just the way it is and I can't wait to see it again!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Recommendations for family w/older kids

Tortilla Republic would be great. the kids would love the tableside guacamole.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,329 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Recommendations for family w/older kids

<<Tortilla Republic would be great. the kids would love the tableside guacamole>>

My kids are ages 10 and 13 and loved this! So much, they asked to go back a 2nd time. I would definitely check out Tortilla Republic (make a reservation, they are on Open Table). It's also very close to where you are staying. We also had dinner at Plantation Gardens and Keoki's last week, both excellent. But our family favorite was definitely Tortilla Republic!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
165 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Recommendations for family w/older kids

Another place where children were treated very well (at least by one particular waiter) is Casa d'Amici. Were very accommodating to several families with children who were around your children's ages.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Recommendations for family w/older kids

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Probably the most moderately priced family restaurant here in the Po'ipu area would be Keoki's Paradise - at the Po'ipu Shopping Village.

A lovely open air space with ponds and waterfalls - and casual enough for small kids, older kids and everyone else!

The price won't break your budget either! It is popular here with residents and visitors alike for that reason!

I'd also say that Brennecke's Beach Broiler (directly across from Po'ipu Beach Park) would be a fun place for your family (and moderately priced also) - I'd recommend lunch - but I've not had a bad dinner there myself either. Again - very family friendly atmosphere and great for people watching and watching the ocean....

Not a lot of places here on the South Shore that are budget friendly - so thought I'd throw out a couple that aren't too bad in case you want to give them a shot!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,930 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Recommendations for family w/older kids

If your kids are fairly adventurous eaters, I love Josselin's. They have a rotating disc in the center of the table and all the plates go on it to share. Check out the menu at http://josselins.com/menu/ to see if it's something your kids might like. My 10 year old also likes Tortilla Republic. I haven't been blown away, but it was fine.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,329 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Recommendations for family w/older kids

Regarding Josselin's: My 13 year old is very sensitive to loud places. We went to Josselin's in 2010 without the kids and it was extremely loud. I was very grateful the we did not bring the kids along. They'll eat anything but if the noise level is too high, he will not even go into the restaurant. We were "blown away" at Tortilla Republic. I guess that's why we went back there 3 times on this past trip (at my kids' request) and everything was amazing.

<<Probably the most moderately priced family restaurant here in the Po'ipu area would be Keoki's Paradise>>

Funny you mention this, Janet. We actually spent less at TR. But I guess it depends on what you order. :)

<<Another place where children were treated very well (at least by one particular waiter) is Casa d'Amici.>>

We also ate at Casa di Amici and it was fine. If it was not for this one waiter who seemed to be handling the entire restaurant (our waitress was clueless), our experience would have been horrible. Maybe it was the same guy?

Edited: 30 June 2012, 02:10