We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Reception Poipu Beach

Euless, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding Reception Poipu Beach

My Fiance and I are getting married 12-20-12 at the Sheraton Kauai Poipu Beach. We are trying to decide on a reception. We could have one at the hotel, but its really expensive. (Like $100 per person with no alcoholic beverages included in that price) We are not the sit down fancy style dinner kind of people. We are from Texas so we like to party, but in a casual Texas BBQ/cookout kind of way. I know the beaches are public so we could get a permit and have a reception at the Poipu Beach Park for free, and then figure out a way to get food, drinks, etc. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or has any ideas for me. Please let me know.

Thanks!!!!!

37 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Reception Poipu Beach

I too am getting married in Kauai, 4/29/13, and am looking at having our rehearsal dinner at Poipu Beach Pavillion. I read a review that had Brennecke's cater a rehearsal dinner at this location and did a terrific job. You might want to try that? I am wondering though if you can bring in outside alcohol from Costco? That would cut down on a lot of the cost! Happy planning to you!

Euless, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Reception Poipu Beach

We were wondering about outside alcohol as well, and I talked to the county about getting a permit and he told me alcohol was allowed but not after 10:30 pm. So it sounds like it should work. I have just emailed Brennecke's and will see what they say. I am also wondering if I could just rent a tent and have it set up on the beach at the Sheraton since that's where the wedding will take place. I just do not want to spend the kind of money that the Sheraton charges. IF you find out anything else please let me know!!! Thank you so much!

California
Level Contributor
36,095 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Reception Poipu Beach

I'm sure the hotel will charge you a site fee. Most hotels do. You probably need to speak to a wedding planner. They know all those details.

One caterer who is very good is the guy who owns Mark's Place.

http://www.contemporaryflavorscatering.com/

I went to wedding he catered last year and he can do whatever you want.

Girdwood, Alaska
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Reception Poipu Beach

How did you go about renting the Poipu Beach Park Pavillion? I can't find any information on it, and haven't received any response from the State Parks people. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited: 17 March 2013, 03:09
California
Level Contributor
9,457 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding Reception Poipu Beach

http://www.brenneckes.com/appetizer-catering Here's the menu from Brennecke's. I'm sure someone there can answer all your questions. My daughter's friend (who works at Brennecke's) had her wedding reception at the Pavillion a few years ago.

Euless, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding Reception Poipu Beach

I contacted the Recreation permit clerk. His name is Raymond Toguchi. He is super nice and very helpful. It is free to rent the pavilion but you have fill out and fax the request form. There's also a form to fill out to get gate access for the people who cater. Raymond's email address is recpermits@kauai.gov. His phone number is (808) 241-4463. He's very quick at returning emails and calls. The pavilion worked out great for us!!!! We had Brennecke's cater and it was delicious. The guys that helped Dave and Dave Brennecke were really nice!!! I definitely recommend it. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help in any other way.

California
Level Contributor
9,457 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding Reception Poipu Beach

Good info., diving_diva. Glad you saw sgak_23's post. It's nice to hear that you had such a positive experience with Brennecke's and with having your reception at the pavillion.

Euless, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding Reception Poipu Beach

We brought our own alcohol and Brenneckes brought big ice chests with ice for our drinks. It worked out great bc we didn't really want to buy ice chests and ice and just leave it there. We stayed there until 1:00am and no one ever came to check to see if we were still there or drinking etc. they told us 10:30 as well. I am sure you can rent a tent but you have to get a different kind of permit and there won't be electricity unless you find someone to run it from somewhere. The Sheraton charges way too much. Especially if you have a small group like I did. We only had 25 people. Let me know if there's any other questions you have.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding Reception Poipu Beach

Aloha from Kaua'i!

If you do decide to use one of the pavillions here at Po'ipu Beach Park, I would suggest requesting the reservation immediately from the County Office given above....as far out as they allow.

With all the birthdays, baby lu'aus, and other functions that local families do there every single weekend, it gets very booked up indeed.....speed in reserving it would be of the essence.

Most local families use a tarp for a windbreak, but I don't think I've ever seen a large type "tent" there at Po'ipu Beach Park, so don't know if that is allowed at all....and yes, a generator would be used for electricity I believe (which you would have to rent). Bear in mind you will be sharing everything but the pavillion space with all the other folks that use the park as well. Bathrooms, etc.

Just make sure as well that after all the expense of doing this at the park, it is actually less than the site fee that your hotel would charge.....

Whatever you do though.....speed in doing it is important....can't stress how much those pavillions are used by residents here every weekend for parties....

Malama Pono,

Janet

Parker, Colorado...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding Reception Poipu Beach

Does anyone have any photos from a wedding reception that was held at the Poipu Beach Park / Pavilion. We're hearing conflicting stories as to whether it's a good location or not. I would REALLY appreciate any help. My email is bhay@comcast.net. Thank you, thank you.

Reply to: Wedding Reception Poipu Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted