We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing a Football Team to Kauai

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
820 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing a Football Team to Kauai

Hello Kauai folks! Boy am I going to need your help with this one.

Our high school football team has been invited to play a game in Hawaii, on Kauai, in August of 2013. As the leader of the parent club, I've been tasked with planning this trip for about 40 people. We will work with a travel agent for transportation and lodging, but I could use all of the help that I can get planning the rest of it.

We plan to have the kids in condos, well chaperoned, of course, so we will have breakfast at "home" each day. Each condo will be given a box of breakfast foods to last for the week, purchased from Costco.

I am thinking lots of grocery-store lunches, sandwiches, etc. along with coolers full of Gatorade and soda, consumed at various parks and beaches.

We would like to take the boys to one luau while we are there, and I need to figure out some good teenage-boy (hungry, beefy teenage-boy) friendly dinner locations. We are on a shoestring budget - we are still working on fundraising so I don't know exactly how tight our budget is. But we are not from a wealthy town and we are working really hard to raise the money.

I need to get an idea of what costs will be. Average cost of a lunch, inexpensive dinner, so that I have some idea what to budget. Would anyone be willing or able to help me with that one?

Also, although I'm starting to do my research on the island now, if anyone has any recommendations for things that teenage (active, energetic) boys would enjoy I'm all ears. The kids will practice for a few hours each day, but then we will take them to do fun stuff for the rest of the day. Lots of beach time, maybe a few hikes (they are athletes, so they should be able to handle a hike or three, right?). I doubt it's in our budget to take them on a sailing trip, although that would be really cool.

Thank you to anyone able to give me some information.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,485 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing a Football Team to Kauai

How exciting!

My first thought is I would get both breakfast and lunch food for the condo - easy to pack a lunch right after you eat breakfast and it would save you time and money. At least this is what our family does. :)

Have only been to Smith's Luau - they do give you a discount if you book online, but I am not sure about large groups - you can email them about those rates.

I think hiking, snorkeling, maybe surfing would all be reasonable things to do. Maybe rent some kayaks to go up one of the rivers.

Maybe some companies (activities) would offer you some big discounts as a promotional since you are coming here for local football - I would send letters to every activity company I was interested.

If I think of more things, I'll let you know - I am sure others will have some great ideas for you and your group. :)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
820 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing a Football Team to Kauai

Thank you Coalminer!

This is an exciting time for our little football team - we are really excited about coming to Hawaii.......now I just need to go raise the money!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing a Football Team to Kauai

Lisa, having organized 2 trips to Disneyland for 150 band members, I feel your pain! But good for you...it's something you will always remember and take pride in! We'll share horror stories when you return...:-).

We never had the advantage of playing the Costco card and that will be huge for you especially for drinks, power bars and breakfast items...water will be your most important purchase! We always told our kids to allow at least $50 a day for food, remember Disneyland is nearly as pricy as Hawaii and I think that is a good figure to work with.

Does the league hosting the game offer you any contacts for housing and possible discounts on restaurants and activities? Something to look into.

The ocean will be a huge draw and cheapest entertainment for the boys...just be sure they get a good education about ocean safety before you go and pack a good first aid kit! Ha.

Hopefully you have contacted one of the travel agencies that deal exclusively with teen travel. There are a number of them and it will make a big difference in your experience...and sanity level!

Good luck.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing a Football Team to Kauai

Answering as a former teenage boy former football player, my only request would be a beach with teenage girls.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,388 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing a Football Team to Kauai

You do know that in Hawaii, they play with a coconut instead of a football.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing a Football Team to Kauai

Bad boy, Dusty!! Bad boy!

California
Level Contributor
35,832 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing a Football Team to Kauai

Activities they might enjoy:

ATV, tubing, surfing, stand up paddle boarding, kayaking, girl watching and more girl watching.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing a Football Team to Kauai

we ran into some moms whose kides were in a soccer tournament. They were hoping they would lose so they could go snorkling.

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
407 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing a Football Team to Kauai

We just came back from Kauai last week. We enjoyed watching the soccer teams played at the soccer field by Lydgate Park. We stayed at the condo right across from the field.

Just so you know nothing is cheap in Kauia like in Oregon. Breakfast and lunches average $10.00 to $12.00. There are fast food restaurants in Kauai for cheap meals tho.

Our suggestion is to map out the cheap eat with group of 8 and rotates each group so you don't over whelm the place with 40 kids.

Here are few great places to eat that you might want to consider:

Chicken in a Barrel (Kapaa)

Shrimp Station (Kapaa, Waimea)

Kilah Steak (Kapaa)

Pizzeta all you can eat breakfast on Sunday (7am til 11) only $8.00. We ate there once- wholesome food and lots of fruits (Kapaa)

Ono Family Restaurant (Kapaa)

Tiki Tacos (Kapaa)

Paco Tacos(Kapaa)

If they can afford for the sunset sailing/dinner cruise that will be great or zip lining. Either one of this outing will be fun and unforgettable. We paid $110/person for zip lining, and $109/person for sunset cruise if you book on line with Captain Andy.

Good luck and have fun planning! Have fun in Kauai.

Jade

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
407 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing a Football Team to Kauai

Cheap Eats For a Football Team Adventuring on Kauai?

Depending on where you go there are many cheap eat places all over Kauai to take advantage of by your group. Planning will be at a premium so not to overwhelm these plate lunch options. Most plate lunch places will not have the ability to serve 20 let alone 40 people. Smaller groups or calling the night before might work to not overload these popular local good eats. In addition, many of these places keep odd hours being on Kauai time. But they sure are a lot better than the same ole big mac, taco time, or burger king. Be forewarned that cheap eats in Kauai is not the same as in Oregon.

Lihue

Fish Express (across from Walmart): great binto boxes and plate lunches

Mark’s Place (south outskirts across from Community College in industrial park—our vote for best plate lunches on island): Mark’s special with stew is delish!

Kapaa

Chicken in a Barrel: simply awesome barbie hole-in-wall

Killah Steaks: short hours

Shrimp Station: best coconut shrimp on island

Shivalik: East Indian all you can eat lunch for the adventuresome, near Foodland

Bubba’s Burgers, not your cheap drive-in mind you

Ono Café: great breakfasts but not cheap

Kilauea—Light House Area

Kilauea Fish Market is our favorite sit down cheap eats on the island. Fish tacos and pork plates are first rate. Seats about ten.

Hanalei

Mama’s Kitchen: on the road to north beaches, Mexican

Pats Tacos: at Hanalei Pier

Poipu

Home grown cheap eats are far away from the beaches here, so we bring plate lunches, picnics, or fuel post beach at these places:

Puka Dogs

Da Crack: across from fire station south of the hotel corridor--Mexican

Waimea

Kalaheo Café: on the road to Port Allen, good breakfasts but again not cheap

Shrimp Station (original)

Island Taco: great tacos

Have a great time, what a great adventure!

Liam

Edited: 10 July 2012, 06:43