We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two more sleeps...which garden to see??

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
586 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Two more sleeps...which garden to see??

Can't wait leaving on Tuesday for 17 days!!! on Kauai...Sandy Beach House, hula pie, crowing roosters, pizza in Kapaa, Banana Joe smoothies, north shore beaches, Smith's, canyon, Hanapepe art nights, Koloa Plantation DAYS!!! doin all the regular stuff...but wondering which garden would be best...if we only took in one...Allerton, McBryde, Limahuli?????

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two more sleeps...which garden to see??

I love Sandy Beach House!!! Since you are right there (I assume it's the same house on Lawai Road), I would opt for the Allerton Gardens tour. We've done this tour a couple of times and have always enjoyed it. You can also do the self guided our at Limahuli when you are touring the north shore.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,179 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two more sleeps...which garden to see??

We picked Limahuli because it focused on Hawaiian plants and those that the original people brought with them in canoes. The location is spectacular too. If you're more interested in flowers, choose another garden. The 52 page book you're given is worth the $15.00 on it's own. We took 2 hours, pausing in the shady spots and rather hurrying through where it was sunny. I wore my ill-named reef shoes, but flip-flops would have been fine. You need sunscreen, bug spray (they have some at the visitor center, free) and an umbrella. There’s drinking water stations along the way.

3Chihuahuas

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
586 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two more sleeps...which garden to see??

Yes, allerton and mcbryde are across the street but it is a substantial time committment and by schedule and we just have a thing about tour guided experiences. Limahuli sounds enticing. You say its about two hours and self-tour? Flowers are nice but we want to see trees and plants that we would never see in OH. More into trees and larger plants than anything else. Thnx for the replies .

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,179 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two more sleeps...which garden to see??

Allerton is the only one that requires a guided tour. Limahuli is all we've done, so I can't compare, but even my hubby who is not into plants, enjoyed it. The beginning of the path starts in a 700 year old terraced kalo (taro) garden. I don't think that's something you'll see in Ohio, lol! Here's the website for the NTBG.

http://ntbg.org/

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two more sleeps...which garden to see??

Just googled Sandy Beach House - I am at a loss for words- it is spectacular!! Have a wonderful time - how could you not? LOL

California
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two more sleeps...which garden to see??

We've done the Allerton tour three times, and last year we did the sunset tour. We love the setting, plants, and story. We've also done the Limihuli self-guided tour which is very different from Allerton but just as beautiful. Go to both if possible.

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
586 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two more sleeps...which garden to see??

I'll have to check out the sunset tour. Hopefully we are not too late for reservations...we probably wont do it until the upper twenties of July.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two more sleeps...which garden to see??

I've seen enough gardens to last a lifetime (mostly in Europe) so maybe by the time I got to Limahuli I was over the whole thing. With that in mind, our party (including 2 Brits) found it a bit on the dull side. Partly because a lot of what they have is what we planted in the yard. Partly because not much was in bloom, the place looked a bit ragged etc. The view is nice, but you can get better on the NS for free. I'd walk up to the visitor's center and have a look 'round before I paid if I were you.

I think the NTBG on the south side is better. Different strokes.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 02:37
tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two more sleeps...which garden to see??

We loved Limahuli- even my usually non-garden going brother- and were a little disappointed in the McBryde Garden as so many of the plants and trees (it was more like an arboretum to us) weren't labelled. If I were to ever do McBryde again I would definitely go on a guided tour, if they have them.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two more sleeps...which garden to see??

You know how to kick a girl when she's down don't you ... I am just sooo jealous reading of all those things ... I forgot about the roosters!

You just wait when I am going, I'll make you green with envy.

Have a wonderful time ... why do I say that, when I know you will?

Look forward to a trip report.