We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu house

Boston...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Poipu house

Is anyone familiar with this house:

http://www.vrbo.com/248396

Any information would be appreciated.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poipu house

I'm not familar with this house but it looks like it's either on Pe'e Road or Makanui Road on the Poipu Crater. It's fairly easy to get to Poipu Beach from there but Pe'e Road is steep towards the end. It's about 3/4 of a mile to Poipu Beach Park. A little closer to Shipwreck's Beach but that beach normally not swimable. Great for experienced surfers and boogie boarders. That area is also pretty quiet with a few rental properties and full time residents.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poipu house

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I have a feeling I know which house this is - I drive by it 4-5 times a week.

If it is the one I think it is (and I can't locate an address anywhere for it) - it is on Ho'ohu Road, and is almost directly across the street from the Po'ipu Crater Resort.

It is kind of notorious here locally because it stands far above all the other homes in the area and you can see it from quite a distance away. When it was built (and it is a fairly new home) the people got around the height restrictions for homes here by building up the lot with dirt into kind of a hill - making the house tower above everything around it. It wasn't very popular with the residents, I can tell you that! LOL

However, I'm sure it is a lovely home and would indeed have a beautiful view of the ocean from its promontory.

It would be within walking distance to Brennecke's Beach and Po'ipu Beach Park - via Pe'e Rd., which is a fairly steep hill - so you just have a downhill or uphill climb back and forth.

If you can locate an actual address for it, I will look at it today - but I think this is the correct house judging from the photos and descriptions.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poipu house

<<It is kind of notorious here locally because it stands far above all the other homes in the area and you can see it from quite a distance away>>

Janet, I don't think this is the same house. I know the house you are talking about very well (I remember when it was being built). It has a purplish roof and I remember it being bluish gray in color. It's also a very large home. The house that the OP is inquiring about it a much different color and is only a one bedroom. In the description of the home, it mentions Poipu Kai as it's location. The homes along Pe'e Road facing east are considered part of Poipu Kai (next to Makanui Condos).

Found it on Google Maps. It is on Pe'e Road (1542 Pe'e Road) directly across from the entrance to Poipu Kai homes at Lanai Villas. It is the guest house to the large home called "Bird of Paradise". We drove by it often during our last visit (we stayed at Poipu Sands just down the road).

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poipu house

p.s. LOVE the new street views on Google maps on Kauai. I was able to zoom right in on the address of this house and verify it with the pictures on the vrbo site.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poipu house

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Ah....mahalo for the address - I'll make a point to drive by it today when I'm coming back from town. Thought it might have been the "tower" house, but apparently not!

Lovely area, a longer walk to the Beach Parks, but still certainly doable - especially if you take the greenbelt thru Po'ipu Kai....

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,609 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Poipu house

Koloagirl, it isn't the same house as the one previously dubbed the mammoth white house (until they made the color a bit more subdue). That house you're talking about is on Ho'ohu Road but this one isn't it.

I agree with Martik. At first glance I thought I recognized it as one of the houses on Pe'e Road just down the street from the entrance to The Point at Poipu. Also it has a steeper incline for a driveway which tracks with the homes on Pe'e road

There is a newer home on Ho'ohu Road, across from the big white house that I remember as looking like this one including the steeper driveway incline.

Altogether it sounds like we're all pretty much agreeing on the general area. No matter which one it is they're all close to each other. So this would put the house in an area that is very convenient to both walking over to the Hyatt and Shipwreck Beach AND walking the greenbelt pathway over to Brennecke's and Poipu Beach.

To the OP..... you might want to call and get the exact address so you can google map it.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 20:00
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poipu house

<<Altogether it sounds like we're all pretty much agreeing on the general area.>>

I was able to pin point the exact location using Google Maps street view. I even zoomed in on the address on the house and was able to see the lanai with the BBQ. It's right at the 3rd speed bump coming in from Poipu Road.

Also, the easier walk from that location might be the green belt that goes through the center of Poipu Kai. The house is closer to Hoohu Road than I orginally thought and Pe'e Road does get steep in some places.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 20:23
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poipu house

Aloha from Kaua'i!

So, if we're in agreement that the address is 1542 Pe'e Road - I'll swing by there after lunch today - meeting some TA'ers at the Kaua'i Food Truck for lunch (will be fun to try it out for the first time) - on my way home, I'll swing by that area....better write down the address now.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poipu house

You can the street address on the 1st photo in the VRBO listing as well:

http://www.vrbo.com/248396#photos

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,609 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Poipu house

Martik, pretty creative of you to be able to be able to zoom in on the house numbers on the house itself.

Yes, Bird of Paradise house. I remember someone on this forum posted a long time ago that they stayed there. Not sure if that person is still posting or not.