We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 3 beaches

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
110 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Top 3 beaches

If you had to pick the top 3 beaches in Kauai to lay out, swim and play in which would they be. I know some have great views, better snorkeling, better treasure hunting , like Glass Beach but we are looking something more closely related to what you would find in the Carribean or closer to that thought. thanks

Texas
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 3 beaches

Hanalei Bay is my favorite beach to lay out, swim amd play in. It is very scenic with the mountains and the pier.

Kee Beach

Anni Beach

Chisago City...
Level Contributor
452 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 3 beaches

Hanalei Bay, Salt Pond & Anini

California
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 3 beaches

Hanalei Bay

Lumaha'i

Poipu in front of Kiahuna Plantation

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,195 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 3 beaches

Lumahai, Hanalei Bay, Hideaways

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,205 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 3 beaches

Never been to the Caribbean to compare, but these are my favorites for what you ask.

Kalihiwai

Anini

Anahola

California
Level Contributor
35,261 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 3 beaches

Hanalei Bay, Anini and tied for 3rd is Lumahai and Hideaways. Hard to get to but worth the fight. Its sort of like your children. You just can't say which one you love more. They are all unique and different and somedays I love one more than the other.

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
552 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 3 beaches

Ke'e, SeaLodge, and Hideaways

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 3 beaches

Time of year might be important as to which beach you select...also what you want to do.....snorkel, swim, surf, stand up paddle boarding, boogie boarding, water sports, or just lay there in the sun.

Best beach is going to be pretty subjective, and you are going to get loads of different ideas.

However, you are receiving all kinds of favorites.

lots of enjoyment lies ahead for your visit.

Denny

Edited: 23 July 2012, 02:40
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 3 beaches

Denny is right. Time of year is all-important. Many north shore beaches have been listed for you but if in the winter they're a far cry from Caribbean beaches.

If you're talking the warmer and calmer months then I'll say Hanalei Bay would be top of the list. But Hanalei Bay is huge and has more than one official "beach" on it. There's 3 or 4 areas with parking, showers, etc. Don't make the mistake of going to Black Pot Beach which is right by the pier. Go to the pier for photos, etc. but the water quality right there is poor. Head to what is called Pavilions Beach Park on Hanalei Bay or Pine Trees. On a calm summer to September day you will find that flat as glass and shallow water.

While it's rare for south shore beaches to be as flat as glass I still say check them out. Many folks actually prefer having some wave action now and then and if you're going in the winter time it's the better bet than north shore beaches anyway which can be pounding with 20 footers in the winter.

You'll find the beaches are different than Caribbean beaches but that isn't a bad thing. Just different. Embrace that difference.

Edited: 23 July 2012, 05:00
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top 3 beaches

Since I'm not much of a swimmer or into snorkeling, my top three beaches are Polihale, Mahaulepu and Shipwreck's. For my kids, we love the Sheraton Beach for boogie boarding.