We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self guided kayak Hanalei and Wailua..where to rent and when

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Self guided kayak Hanalei and Wailua..where to rent and when

Looking at a couple of kayak trips over the course of 12 days

1- Hanalei river and into the bay

2- Wailua river and falls

Suggestions on where to rent and what time of day to go for both?

Mahalo

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self guided kayak Hanalei and Wailua..where to rent and when

solo kayaking

KAYAK KAUAI ( Hanalei ). Entering hanalei town, on the makai side , just past the Hanalei Dolphin Restaurant you will see kayaks. Pull on in, and go into the office. They will sign you in, and set you up with the kayak, paddle, life vest, and dry bag if you need it.

They will stage your kayak on a ramp, and down you slide into the wasters of the narrow tributary that leads to the river. You are on your way. You have the river, and hanalei bay to explore and have a grand time.

WAILUA RIVER: At the river, easy put in, and you will also get all the necessary gear, and a small chart ( map) of where to go. I think it was a about a mile up river to that right fork....then a bit futher up to the eddy out on your left. Haul the kayak up on land and tie the painter ( line ) to a tree.

You are now off on your hike to the falls.

Old tips....current is stronger in the center...so upstream, we elect to paddle next to shore where the current is less strong and whole lot easier. Be sure to stay on the NORTH side ( right going up ) as Smiths barges will be on the SOUTH side.

Also on the way back, we stay more out from the North Bank, to catch some of the boost from the down stream current on the river. And that also keeps us clear of the barges ( oops, excuse me, Smiths Boats ).

There are a couple of kayak companies on the river, and you really cannot go wrong...one is at the river by the wailua bridge, and the other is up kuamo's road at the hawaiian village.

Ceck out the descriptions in the Utlimate Kauai Guide Book. I would recommend reservations......as far as I know, it is still no kayaking on sundays.

Denny

Edited: 01 August 2012, 04:44
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
435 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self guided kayak Hanalei and Wailua..where to rent and when

i used kayak kauai a few months ago and they were really nice. just two people in the rental office, so a bit slow when it was busy (with phone calls and all). but VERY convenient with the entry/exit right at the river. i would rent wtih them again.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Self guided kayak Hanalei and Wailua..where to rent and when

For Wailua River, some TripAdvisor folks have rented from and started at Kamokila Hawaiian Village, located across from Opaekaʻa Falls. You can search for their reports in this Forum.

Below is link to Kamokila Hawaiian Village:

http://villagekauai.com/location.html

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Self guided kayak Hanalei and Wailua..where to rent and when

for Wailua: Wailua Kayak and Canoe. Right at the start of the river. They give you a kayak on a little pull cart and it's about a 100YD walk down to the river. They give you a map on how to get to the falls. Get there right at 7:00am to be ahead of the tour companies. Might want to call ahead and reserve because they sometimes sell out for the day.

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self guided kayak Hanalei and Wailua..where to rent and when

Thanks for the great info.....how long of a round trip are we looking at time wise? We are athletic and will go at a pretty good pace

6. Re: Self guided kayak Hanalei and Wailua..where to rent and when

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 20:15