We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo Rental

DFW, TX
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo Rental

We usually rent through Avis, but found a great deal through Alamo for a 9 day rental. We got the impression from Alamo that their "economy" rentals are all Jeep-Wranglers . . . Does anyone know if this is true and/or has anyone had bad experiences with Alamo?

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo Rental

A Jeep Wrangler as an economy car doesn't sound quite right. They're usually pretty pricey ($45 - $75 per day depending on the time of year) and a lot of people want them.

I have heard some complaints about companies substituting a "similar" vehicle when people thought they were getting a Jeep.

Maybe Hula4me can weigh in on this since she has experience with car rentals.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo Rental

I just went to Alamo and Dollar on the web for a Jeep at Alamo they quoted me at 54.90 a day Dollar was a little better at 48.86. I haven't seen where you can take rentals off road, but if you want the open air feel I also checked convertibles. On these they were pretty much the same price of about $28 a day both showed the Sebring as the car.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo Rental

Sorry - didn't see this thread - but since my name was mentioned - I'll pipe in.

I also would doubt that the Jeep Wrangler would be the economy car anywhere. Jeeps are usually priced about the same as a convertible. Sometimes websites have the wrong picture or description, which can be misleading. Often if you reserve an economy car, they'll upgrade you to a compact, but to upgrade to a specialty vehicle usally costs another $10-$25 per day.

During my years dealing with rental car reservations, I never dealt with Alamo, but they are very reputable, similar to Avis in their policies and service.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo Rental

Hulajake,

None of the major rental car companies are going to condone taking their vehicles off-road. Now, sometimes you can't help it - like the dirt road to Polihale, etc., but I would highly recommend NOT doing any recreational "off-roading" with a rental Jeep or truck. They just aren't cut out for it. You'll see local off-roaders, but you'll also notice that they have altered their vehicles to accommodate the deep ruts on the off-road trails. If you get stuck out there in a rental vehicle, you'll be paying damages to the rental car company. Best to stick to hiking to see those out-of-the-way places.

DFW, TX
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo Rental

They quoted me at approx $35 a day. I called the Alamo desk at Lihue direct and they made it sound as though all of the economy rentals were Jeep Wranglers . . . Too good to be true?

SLC, Utah
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo Rental

Hula: LOL!! Unless you rent from Island rentals. Poor Phil got a call at 3:00am from some idiot who got stuck in the sand after surfing. Phil went out the next am to pull him out and just shrugged it off and went back to the rental place.

although these cars are NOT like the usual rental cars from the usual car rental places.

They certainly are not for everyone.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alamo Rental

We just got back yesterday from kauai. We rented a simple medium sized car and it had dings and scratches all over. The back seat was stained and dirty. But you know what- who cares-(okay, my husband did for about 10 seconds). My own kids dropped a spoon full or two of shaved ice to add to the "colors", and we certainly brought in lots of that nice red dirt. If the car had been pristine I would have been fretting more. Our rate was really good, we booked through Costco (their web site gives you a code- at the check-in counter they said they didn't need to see my costco card, altho I have one). I'd check them out first on our next visit.

One thing I don't understand about renting supposed Four wheel drive vehicles is that the companys won't cover damage if you are on an unpaved road. What's the point? Don't you rent a Jeep expressly to have the freedom to go off-road?