We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report days 13-15

Upland, California
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report days 13-15

We're headed home now. We're all in agreement that Kauai is our favorite island now and we hope to return soon. All you trip advisor posters really helped make our trip special and I want to thank you for your input. Now the details...

On day 13 we rented kayaks at the Hawaiian Village up the Wailua River. Great option for families or less active people. The trail to the secret falls was so secretive we got lost. After walking for 30 minutes we surprisingly came back to the kayak beaching area, made for some good laughs. So with map in hand we tried again and made it to the not- so-secret falls. The hike was great and I loved hearing my 9 year old say "mommy this is fun" over and over again. It was beautiful but crowded at the falls. We didn't get in the water much.We continued up to Fern Grotto (unimpressive) and the swimming hole. The kids and hubby jumped off the cliff and I applauded and took photos. Now we were seriously starving and we gave bubba burgers a try even though good friends (employed by in-n-out) told us to skip it. We thought it was pretty good.

Day 14 was our last full day and we spent it at Kiahuna beach. It was a beautiful day. I moved our dinner reservation to 8 from 6 so we could enjoy those special early evening hours down at the beach. We didn't want the day to end. Dinner at Plantaion Gardens was okay but boy were we tired, didn't get our food until 9. I was surprised by a few of the charges on our bill but didn't bring it up. Don't think we'll return.

My husband and I were saying what a fun and relaxing trip this was. Kauai has such a relaxed and natural feel to it that we came to love. The Highlights were the Southern star sunset cruise and Kiahuna Beach.

Mahalo!

Salt Spring Island...
Level Contributor
616 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report days 13-15

Glad you enjoyed the KP as much as many of us do!!

Just curious...what charges were you surprised of on your PG bill?

Mahalo!! :)

california
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report days 13-15

I'm

Curious about the charges, too. This restaurant is on my list and I need to be in the know!

Upland, California
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report days 13-15

The charges were in regards to kids meals. We asked for double portions of meat for our hungry boys. Of course we agreed there would be an extra charge for this. We were told the plate came with 3 ribs. Well the "double" portion came as 4 ribs and they charged us double the cost of the meal. They didn't get a double portion of the side dish, so that didn't seem right to me. Also, the kids lemonade was $5. That's steep! So basically for my kids to have 4 ribs, some waffle fries and a lemonade it was $23. I think Beach House was cheaper for them.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report days 13-15

Glad you enjoyed Kauai... we hope to go one day!

Salt Spring Island...
Level Contributor
616 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report days 13-15

I would have brought it to the attention of your waiter that you paid for 'double portion'; but did not receive it for the kids.

The lemonade I am not surprised about..this is a higher end restaurant...still annoying, I know.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report days 13-15

Sounds like a snafu that needed to be brought up to them at PG. We have always enjoyed ourselves there, and found then incredibly accomodating with special orders/changes to plates and not pricey either. I hope you do try it again - I think you would be happier, definitely.

I am not surprised you enjoyed Kiahuna - what a wonderful place!

Mahalo for your TR and aloha until next time!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,129 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report days 13-15

Thanks for your report. Happy planning for your next trip.

8. Re: Trip report days 13-15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 09:17