We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a last minute vacation to Kauai - N or E lodging?

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a last minute vacation to Kauai - N or E lodging?

After being unemployed for six months I can let out a sigh of relief and an audible WAHOO that I have just been offered a source of employment. I start just after Labor Day and hope to take a last minute vacation to enjoy the time offer now that I don't feel desperate.

I will be arriving with my husband (we're both in our late 20s) on August 26th and hope to stay through till September 2nd. We went to Oahu a few years ago and really didn't appreciate the "vibe" of Waikiki after about two days - too many kids, too much touristy stuff. For Kauai, we are thinking North Shore might be better since it would be more scenic and a little out of town. That said, we want to make sure we are accessible to all the beauty the island has to offer.

We have given thought to staying three days on the East shore and four on the North (or vice versa) but are concerned at the budget when we see that some of the Princeville hotels are 500+. I would like to keep lodging around 100.00/night and for sure under 150.00/night for the seven days.

Any assistance would be awesome. I've spend hours looking at VRBO but without knowing what town is a good home base, it's been hard to make any decisions. I would also like to spend at least one day on a beach with an umbrella drink to celebrate my new job which makes me lean maybe resort.

As you can tell, I'm a little confused. Help appreciated!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a last minute vacation to Kauai - N or E lodging?

I'd look at Maui -- a much wider choice of condos to fit your budget.

Aliso Viejo
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a last minute vacation to Kauai - N or E lodging?

Have you looked into booking on Travelocity, expeida or any other site like that? If you book a package you can save a lot of $$$. We booked hotel+flight+rental car for 5 nights at the Westin Princeville with Airfare for $2200. Not bad considering airfare alone for two people is about $1400. Just a thought...

California
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a last minute vacation to Kauai - N or E lodging?

Wow, Chisue. Don't think I've even seen so many posts from you telling people not to go to Kauai!

Anyway....Kauai has many budget friendly places to stay. I just booked my mother and father in law in a nice oceanview studio room at Islander On The Beach for under $75 a night. I will private message you the VRBO number when I find it. Though I am not crazy about staying on the East side and MUCH prefer the North, this is a bargain location and one I personally have enjoyed even though I own a place on the island.

On the North Shore your best bet to find inexpensive accommodations is by staying in Princeville. You can find "hotel rooms" at Hanalei Bay Resort for around $99-150 a night, one bedroom units at Sealodge, Pali Ke Kua for around $135-175/nt and of course other choices but sometimes you get what you pay for so do your homework. You might also enjoy the Poipu area. Search through Parrish's website and see if Waikoma Stream might interest you.

Here are some places I see open.

summitpacificinc.com/availability/search.php

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a last minute vacation to Kauai - N or E lodging?

I think Kaua‘i will be just what you're looking for. Forget looking at packages, you can do way better if you're willing to do some legwork. I would stick to one location since most likely there is a cleaning fee for the condos which runs up your total cost. Renting thru an owner or manager where you can choose the exact unit is definitely the way to go. Princeville would be the place to stay North Shore for an inexpensive condo. Find a few you like and post back with the info - there's a good chance someone will have first hand info. jebett can give you all the scoop on the best units at Hanalei Bay Resort.

Have you bought airfare yet? There's been some really reasonable fares out of Oakland and SF, but usually the cheaper fares are Monday-Thurs. Make sure you book a car as soon as you book airfare. An economy car is all you need. Try http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ - highly recommended by lots of us here on the forums. No money up-front and can cancel anytime if you find a better deal.

Make your own drinks and snacks for lounging on the beach. You'll be amazed by the beaches on Kaua‘i - NOTHING like Waikiki.

I'm so glad you found a job (been there with that desperate feeling).

3Chihuahuas

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,893 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a last minute vacation to Kauai - N or E lodging?

I have found/stayed in some very inexpensive condos on Kauai - all in the Princeville area . . . some as low as $55 a night. You cannot find deals like that on Maui, which tends to be more expensive overall. I would stay your full week on the northshore and then drive around - much easier on your lodging budget if you don't mind driving around a bit. Have fun and congrats on your new job! :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,207 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a last minute vacation to Kauai - N or E lodging?

... and reserve a rental car as soon as know dates and can still cancel and rebook if you find better rates if have not paid in advance. You can search this forum for good advise.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,803 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a last minute vacation to Kauai - N or E lodging?

Kaua`i. North shore. Plenty of condos there to fit all budgets. And there's nothing like the surroundings.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
174 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a last minute vacation to Kauai - N or E lodging?

Over the Christmas holidays last year we stayed in a very nice, modern clean condo (3 BR 3 BA) on the North Shore of Kauai in Princeville for $160 per night. Suggest going that route. Private message me if you want the contact info.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a last minute vacation to Kauai - N or E lodging?

The north shore would fit the bill and there are many condos in Princeville where you can spend far less than $500 a night. If you've only looked at resort hotels there that would mean the St. Regis so no wonder you're looking at over $500 !

So look at the many condos there and don't bother with the packages on Travelocity etc. Most of these moderately priced condos don't even partner with Travelocity, Expedia, etc. And you wouldn't be able to pick the exact unit you want even if they did. You can do better on your own than by picking from what those operations offer. Jebett offered the names of some and others here might also. Just be flexible because you're talking last minute. Heck, you'll be on Kauai so what can be so awful anyway.

Before any of that grab a rental car first. There's a shortage of them and you should make sure you can get a car before you lock in airfare and lodging. It can always be cancelled.

Watsonville...
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a last minute vacation to Kauai - N or E lodging?

I am seeing a lot of condo's and studio condo's for under $100 on VRBO.com

Islander on the beach studio's are nice and some are having special's for August. Plantation Hale 1bdrm condo's also @ $100. These are both conveniently located on the East side.

Groceries , restaurants and tons of shopping close by. Kealia beach 10-15 min drive North and Lydgate beach park 10 min South. Poipu and Hanalei about the same distance N & S about 40 min depending on traffic ect.