We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resort in Kauai

Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Topic
Best resort in Kauai

Hello All,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my question. I am booking a trip to Kauai in December and I was wondering which resort to stay at. I was looking at the St. Regis but I discovered that the resort charges hourly rates for their water activities. Examples include snorkeling, paddle boarding, and kayaking. I was wondering if there are any resorts on the island that are clean, have nice service and activities included with the stay. Furthermore, any advice and recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

Best,

Wason

Nani Kai Adventures
Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Princeville Ranch
Kayaking & Canoeing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Hawaii Adventure Center
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Air Tours
Island Adventures
Kayaking & Canoeing, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Sightseeing Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best resort in Kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The St. Regis is the most expensive hotel on the island - but I don't know of any properties here on Kaua'i that offer water related activities free with your stay.

All of the things you mention - snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boarding - are things that you would have to pay a rental fee for at any properties that I can think of.

Maybe others can be more specific...

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
9,915 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best resort in Kauai

I don't know of any resorts that offer those activities free with your stay either. Also, if you stay on the north shore in December chances are you couldn't do any of those things anyway because of ocean conditions. In December, I'd stay in Poipu. Check out the Grand Hyatt, Koa Kea, and the Sheraton.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,801 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best resort in Kauai

Activities are always extra. You are looking for an all inclusive type of resort which Kauai doesn't have any.

For December, I would look at The Grand Hyatt in Poipu. As much as I adore the St Regis (can't wait for dinner there in Sept) the Hyatt would be my choice. Depending on the date in Dec. the only downside to the Hyatt is crowds around the holiday. If early Dec then that is better.

You can rent snorkek gear and go out yourself.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best resort in Kauai

If St. Regis is in your budget I think you will be happiest staying there and paying extra for water activities.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best resort in Kauai

Why would anyone pay a resort a fee to snorkel at an hourly rate? What am I missing? Is this a charge to rent the equipment? If so, you can bring or get your own equipment much cheaper probably and go snorkeling anywhere on island you want. If this is a group snorkeling tour type thing I'm sure it's grossly overpriced. You don't need a tour group for this anyway. There re many places to try beginning snorkeling in shallow water along the shore.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best resort in Kauai

Agree, if you are staying at the st. reggie that you would not have a problem with the general overall island practice of paying for kayaking, or stand up paddle board lessons or rentals.

Snorkeling is free as you walk into the water and snorkel,( except to rent your snorkel gear ). You can bring your own if you wish. Now you would have to pay if you want a snorkel tour which is not really necessary, but sometimes it might be a good plan if totally unfamilar with snorkeling and ocean safety.

As far as we know, there are no INCLUSIVE resorts on Kauai, like you find in jamaica or some other caribbean all inclusive resorts. Just the way it is.

.But, we do realize that we have to pony up the fee for whatever activity. That being said, we have other free snorkel sites, plenty of free hikes, and also free exploring of kauai's special treasures.

There is a phenominal amount of info on most anything that you might want to do in the Ultimate Kauai Handbook...and it will be of great help for you and your familis visit.

You will have fun on kauai, no matter if paid or free activities.

Anyway, yep, the activites are seperate from the cost of accomodations here on kauai, but there are plenty of companies that can help you to find what you and your family wish to experience while here on kauai.

Happily, you will not run out of things to do.

Denny

Edited: 14 August 2012, 21:39
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,915 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best resort in Kauai

The St Regis is not the best resort on Kauai, the Grand Hyatt is.

What the St Regis is charging for in those water activities are the rental of the equipment. I don't know any major hotel in Hawaii that does not charge for the rental of equipment.

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best resort in Kauai

I agree the Grand Hyatt having incredible grounds and a "best resort" feel and might be considered the best resort, but the St. Regis might notch ahead because of location and scenery. I personally would stay at the Grand Hyatt, but that is because it just fits us better, maybe less pretentious than the St. Regis.

Listen to what others are saying, there are no all-inclusives on the island of Kauai, and really, you don't want that. That "feel' of an all-inclusive would stifle you or anyone else. This island will set you free (the eau contraire of an all-inclusive).

Kauai, no matter where you stay or what you pay for or don't pay for will become your cheating lover. Discover her and you will be changed.

There is so much on this island that no resort can be a "supply all". We love Mexico and you won't get that here. You get splendor in it's grandest. Get about the shores, the towns, the cities, the beaches and sense the geologic topography and plant life.

It will change you because you weren't enjoying an all-inclusive type setting. Kauai is way bigger than that. You'll see! :-)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best resort in Kauai

I would not book the northern shores of Kauai or Oahu in December. (Same wind and rain -- and rough ocean -- are likely in Kapalua and Napili on Maui.)

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best resort in Kauai

Unless you have your mind set on staying at a resort, you might want to consider looking into a condo - most of the rentals have a 'beach closet' that's full of snorkel gear, boogie boards, towels, coolers, sand chairs, ect. Granted, it may not be state of the art equipment, but it's there to use at YOUR leisure, not on a resort schedule.