We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 5 & 6 of 15

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 5 & 6 of 15

Kauai Vacation Day 5

Day 5 we are moving to the West Side. We are leaving the Wiapoli, but first have to do some things in town. Elverine from Heavenly Haku’s delivered my haku for my wedding renewal tomorrow. Amazingly beautiful and smelled divine. Best $20 spent this trip so far!

We used an old suitcase at the last minute and had hoped it would make the whole trip before hitting the dump – unfortunately it had enough and we had to replace it. I had seen one at the thrift store the day before for $20 so we headed there…of course it was gone so we went to wal-mart and bought a new one for $57…sure wish the $20 was there. Oh well, decided to eat at No 1 BBQ, we have eaten there before, it is not fine dining but it is A LOT of food for cheap. Way too much food actually…we had leftovers. Once we were done in town we headed west making a pit stop at Kauai Coffee Company. Then we stopped at the first lookout of Wiamea. Although the check in was 3pm the cleaners weren’t done…no worries…we’ll go to JoJo’s! Came back and watched the sunset across the street from the Akioloa Cottage we are in. All in all a great moving day.

The cottage is clean and comfortable and very close to Wiamea. Very pleased with our choice.

Pics can be seen here www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly…

Kauai Vacation Day 6

Day 6 started off great….we decided to head to town and grab some Yumi coconut pies. Whenever my husband mentions Kauai when we are home, he always mentions these pies, so they are a must! We weren’t sure on the opening time and were there at 6:30…they open at 7:00. We walked down to the Big Save and got some milk and stopped to take some pics and smell some flowers along the way. After getting our pies we went back to the cottage and woke the kids up for some breakfast. What kid isn’t happy being told to wake up and eat pie for breakfast! Then it was time to get wedding ready. The preacher Wes Cronk arrived a bit early and all was going very smoothly. We made our way up the canyon and got to the Wiamea Lookout. Leo set up the video camera and we went on with our wedding. It was wonderful… I couldn’t have asked for a better ceremony. People gathered and looked but for the most part were very respectful that we were taking up the best spot on the platform. It was a wonderful way to re- commit my undying love to my best friend of the last 12 years. We took a bunch of photos then went on to Kalaheo lookout for some more. We then changed our clothes and went a bit further up and went on the short hike. This was a big thing for me – the last 3 trips I was too afraid to do it and watched from the top as my husband went down and took pictures. I toughened up my fear of heights and did it this time. I loved it and am very happy I did it. We headed down the canyon and rested for a while before heading to Wranglers for steak and lobster for dinner. The steaks were better than I ever imagined they could be….although a bit pricey, still very good and I consider worth it. All in all a very awesome day.

Pics can be seen here www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly…

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 5 & 6 of 15

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Glad that Elvrine did such a nice job for you - knew she would! Her haku are award winning and amazing - most of the flowers, ferns, she sources from her garden and that of her mother. And as you said, the price is unbeatable!

Couldn't see your photos (log in?) but I'm sure they are fabulous and you sound as if it was a perfect vow renewal - congratulations for the 2nd time!

Malama Pono,

Janet

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 5 & 6 of 15

Thank you so much for her number- it truly is a Heavenly Haku !

Maybe this site will work fir the pics.

http://txgal.shutterfly.com/

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 5 & 6 of 15

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yep, that link worked! Lovely photos - it looks like you had a very special vow renewal - so glad that it all worked out for you - including the weather!

Are you staying at the "West Inn" in Waimea? I'm curious how you find it, since it is very new and I've not spoken to anyone who has stayed there yet. It is a great location - and I'm so glad you find the West Side to be a "special place" here - as I do!

Isn't Yumi's fabulous? I love the place and when you can get in there without the High School students overwhelming you (lol) - the food is fabulous! Their coconut pie is indeed pretty famous and amazing!

Your haku looks very pretty - such lovely colors! Looks like it was a very special day for you - as it should be!

Mahalo for sharing your photos! I'm seeing Elvrine's Mom in about 1/2 hour and I'll tell her how happy you were with your haku!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 5 & 6 of 15

It looks like a very special day and pie for breakfast. Yum.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
669 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 5 & 6 of 15

Awesome thanks so very much. Now if I can just find the time between work, wife, and baby to get the rest of my trip report up!

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 5 & 6 of 15

Janet,

We are staying at the Akialoa Cottage in Kekeha. Right now its a little worrisome - the fire on the mountain is just a block down the road. The firemen think the river should stop it from coming down this street - but they are having problems getting it out.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Day 5 & 6 of 15

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, I have been hearing about the fire there - hopefully they will get it under control and away from the homes!!

I can't believe it is that close to the ocean!!!

Malama Pono,

Janet

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Day 5 & 6 of 15

I know it ! Scary stuff ! So far the firemen said they will let us know in the next hour or so of what we should do.

9. Re: Trip Report Day 5 & 6 of 15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 04:16