We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rainforest 4wd vs kayak tour and general itinerary questions

California
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
rainforest 4wd vs kayak tour and general itinerary questions

Hello. Planning a trip to Kauai the first week of December. I've never been to Hawaii. We are trying to decide between a tour offered by Aloha Kauai, a 4wd tour to a hike through the rainforest, vs Island Adventures Hulei'ia river Kayak and hike to the waterfall. Has anyone by chance done or heard of both of these activities? Are they very similar in terrain or close by eachother, reading the descriptions I got the idea they may be close, and don't want them to be too repetitive if we did both. If I did just one, which would you recommend? Also, thinking of guided kayaking Hanelei river(with Kayak Kauai) vs Hulei'ia river, which is the best scenically? Is the Hanelei pretty safe to kayak alone if we chose to do that? Trying to take into account the fact that it's winter. Other activities we are planning are Wings Over Kauai flightsee, visiting north shore beaches(for scenery, not swimming), snorkeling at either Lyndgate(near where we are staying) or Poipu, hiking first 2 miles of Kalalua trail, Napali boat tour if seas not too rough(hubby gets sea sick). Ambiviant about Waimea Canyon, I know it's supposed to be a must see but I am drawn to Kauai for the lushness and maybe we'll get more out of staying with activities East and North if weather permits. Then off to Oahu. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rainforest 4wd vs kayak tour and general itinerary questions

Sorry, I haven't heard of either of the companies mentioned; they do have some good reviews, so I'm sure they're fine. We've always used Outfitters and have been very happy. www.outfitterskauai.com

I haven't kayaked the Hanalei River, but I've heard it's very easy to do by yourself.

You might want to bypass Lydgate; there have been several posts recently that the snorkeling there is not good at all.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rainforest 4wd vs kayak tour and general itinerary questions

I used the ultimate kauai guidebook. For activities it ranges from easy to extreme, but it is reasonably candid about which is which. When the book described it as dangerous, I found that to be true. For me, when he suggests trespassing I skipped because it just did not feel right. Otherwise, it was the best source that I found.

California
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rainforest 4wd vs kayak tour and general itinerary questions

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the conditions at Lyndgate when it gets closer. I did buy the Ultimate Guidebook and have been reading it cover to cover. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but thanks!

4. Re: rainforest 4wd vs kayak tour and general itinerary questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 05:17