We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Kauai

Unknown
Level Contributor
510 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Kauai

Hi All,

This is not our first trip to Hawaii by any means - we usually hang out in Maui!!! However, my hubby wants to try a new island this go 'round, so Kauai it is!

With that said, which side of the island is it best to stay on for foot traffic to local eateries. I know in Maui, we were kinda stuck eating at the resorts, and that right there can do damage to your budget - oh, we are not "vacation cookers" (no disrespect to those that are)... We have three kids, and would prefer to live a life of leisure while on vacation... I digress...

Anywho, we are looking at the Regis, Grand Hyatt, or Kea Koa (sp)... Which property has the most accessibility to off resort eateries. We know we have to rent a car, so that is a no brainer... But if we can explore - walk about a mile or so to dinner, that would be nice... I really cannot wait!! June/July 2013 is our ETA.

Best,

SM

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,131 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Kauai

Probably the Koa Kea. Next, the Hyatt. Not the St. Regis for sure.

BTW, just because your accommodations have a kitchen doesn't mean you have to cook. Are you bringing the kids? You'd have to take 2 hotel rooms. A condo will undoubtedly be cheaper, and you'll have the extra living space. Doing a condo opens up a whole lot more options to you.

CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Kauai

Been enjoying Kauai for 15 yrs. one of the best areas to stay for walking to restaurants and accessibility to a wonderful snorkeling bch is the Lawai Bch Resort in Koloa. With kids, it's perfect. There is a new shopping center behind the resort with Bubba's Burgers, Savage Shrimp ( wonderful take-out or eat-in shrimp scampi, fish & chips, etc. also a Mexican place, Tapas, gourmet hot dog place and Merrimans. You can top it all off with shave ice or Lapperts. Ck out red week.com to rent a condo. Have fun on the most beautiful island in the chain.

Unknown
Level Contributor
510 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Kauai

We are not bringing the lil ones - they stay at home when we visit HI - that is our little piece of the world. Lol

I do not mind a cond... But personally I enjoy a resort, especially if they have spa services. Thanks

Are there any restaurants within wlking distance of KK or the Hyatt?

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to Kauai

KK and Hyatt have more options than the St Regis in walking distance. But, if you have a car the options within a short drive of the St. Regis are bountiful.

I prefer a hotel to a condo because of spa services, more attention to detail, valet parking, room service, maid service daily with nightly turn down service and more. Condo's are okay, but I have had numerous experiences with condo beds not being up to par and on property services being more limited.

I savor clean fresh towels, nicely made beds, quality sheets and a fresh look and feel of a clean room when I return after a day of activities.

You may want to play around with google earth some and see the restaurants near the properties and if they meet your wants, needs and style. You can also pull up walking distances, driving distances and cross reference them with TA and Yelp reviews if you so desire.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 17:01
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,957 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to Kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The property of the three you mention that would have the easiest access to the largest number of restaurants would be the Ko'a Kea Resort.

It is a small boutique hotel, geared more towards couples than families. A small but lovely pool, the beach on the ocean pathway immediately to your right, and a well regarded restaurant at the property itself - Red Salt.

Also, you are within walking distance (very easy walking distance indeed) to Roy's, Keoki's Paradise, Puka Dogs, Papalani Gelato, Starbucks, and Tropical Burgers at the Po'ipu Shopping Center. A short walk away at the Kukui'ula Shopping Village is Merriman's Kaua'i, Josselin's Tapas Bar, Tortilla Republic, Savage Shrimp, Dude Dogs, Bubba Burgers, and Living Foods, which has good (but expensive!) upscale items as well as an excellent deli and breakfast and lunch items.

At the Hyatt you would have the same options, but a farther walk - the closer restaurants would be Brennecke's Beach Broiler, Casa di Amici, Kalapaki Joe's Po'ipu and the hotel restaurants, of which there are several.

At the St. Regis you have the hotel restaurants, but off property restaurants are mostly in the town of Hanalei, which is about a 5-10 minute drive from the hotel down into the Hanalei Valley.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Unknown
Level Contributor
510 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to Kauai

Thank you so much to the previous posters... I too love the luxury of a resort. I love all the niceties that come along with the resort. I will check KK out for pricing and availability!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to Kauai

Yes, the Koa Kea by far has the most in walking distance. And if you like all the niceties and personal services that come with a resor then you'll probably like the Koa Kea very much.

I completely understand your desire to stay in a resort and be waited on while on vacation. I keep telling myself one day I'm going to take that type of vacation.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time to Kauai

I found the food at the Hyatt on the south shore to be the best resort food on Kauai. They have a great sushi/sashimi restaurant there. The St Regis, while luxurious and stunning, is sadly lacking in truly great food. The Sunday brunch at $60 a person at the St Regis is nice...great variety and visually beautiful food, but the restaurant food left me disappointed. Plantation Gardens restaurant in Poipu is lovely and has incredible gardens that you should take the time to walk through. Roy's is a standard for Hawaiian fusion food, but they can be hit or miss. Their chocolate volcano dessert is worth a trip if only for that and coffee. The Beach House Restaurant is a tourist favorite because of the view of the spectacular sunsets there...the restaurant is open air to the sunset side...the photos you take home from there is worth the trip to the restaurant. It is resting on it's laurels as far as food goes...expensive and not so memorable. Merriman's fish restaurant in the new shopping center in Poipu is great. Pat's Tacqueria truck at Hanalei Pier (close to the bridge) serves up the best fish tacos on the island. My favorite grocery store is in Koloa..Sueoka's grocery store and snack shack. It specializes in Hawaiian products and the snack shack has great loco moco's and other inexpensive fare (macaroni salad is great too!). Kauai is by far my favorite island. Slower pace, fewer tourists and it still has that old time Hawaiian feel...especially in the Princeville and Hanalei area.

Unknown
Level Contributor
510 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time to Kauai

Thank you for sharing.. I will pass on Roy's we have a few of them here... No need to go on vacation and eat at a familiar spot.

Still a toss up between Hyatt and KK... I will make my decision soon. Personally I love big resorts.. We usually take two days to do nothing but people watch, eat pool food, and just chill. I am just happy to know we do not have to drive 10 miles to get to some good non-resort eatieries. :-)

Unknown
Level Contributor
510 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time to Kauai

Napaguy you will have one of those vacays... I am believing in it for you! :-)