We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to save on flights from LAX to Lihue?

Westchester (LA), CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
How to save on flights from LAX to Lihue?

Hi, I visited Westin Princeville in Dec. '11 with vaca ownership promotion and relented to return package which includes 7 nights that needs to be used before Dec.'13. Last time we flew to Maui and between islands for $1,000 (christmas week) but I just checked mid-June '13 and it looks like it will still cost $1,000 per flight! my financial situation has changed-does anyone have tips for getting the cheapest flights possible before I lock in my vacation package dates? I most likely will travel Easter week or June after schools let out, but am afraid to wait until closer for deals in case it ends up costing more. Should I fly out of Ontario, Long Beach or OC to save? will either go with 1 or 2 kids. Thx.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Ontario
Ontario
Canada
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,256 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to save on flights from LAX to Lihue?

I would book flights first prior to booking vacation rentals - sometimes traveling just a day or two different can save hundreds of dollars! It is a bit early to be booking summer flights - I would at least wait until October or so.

The best way to know is to compare . . . compare airlines and compare with different airports near you - it can vary quite dramatically. Look at getting an Alaskan airline credit card - give you an annual companion fare that is like getting two tickets for the price of one. Also, sign up for fare alerts so you know when their are specials going on - whether that is with AK air, Hawaiian or a place like airfarewatchdog, which will let you know about all specials - good luck! :)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to save on flights from LAX to Lihue?

We fly every June to Kauai just after school lets out. I've been waiting until January or Febuary to book our flights. I have not seen it go below $600/pp in a few years. Luckily, these were direct flights. LAX is pretty much your only option to fly to Hawaii. I've used a travel agent in Temecula to book our flights and rental car and she seems to get good rates that I cannot find online. Unforunately, Alask Airlines does not fly out of the LA area. A friend of mine flew to San Jose on points and grabbed a cheap flight from there but that adds an extra day and cost of a hotel to your travel days. I book my condo ahead of time (only requires a $250.00 deposit) and then wait for the airfares to drop. Not sure if your vacation package is flexible in any way. I do remember one TA poster booked her flights from Long Beach to Las Vegas and then direct to Lihue (I think). I thought that was a lot of extra time at airports to save money but it's an option I've seen used.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 22:13
Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to save on flights from LAX to Lihue?

Just checking Alaska Airlines for June. They have a flight LAX-SJC-LIH for $532 but it requires an overnight in San Jose.

Westchester (LA), CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to save on flights from LAX to Lihue?

Thanks! I had not thought about signing up for a cc that would give me a special promotion on flights. Also, I realize I'll need to wait a bit before booking, but have to lock in the 7 days Princeville resort vaca fairly soon or available dates will be gone- however, should I pick a weekday to depart and return, if certain weekdays are traditionally better (cheaper) to travel? If so which one?

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to save on flights from LAX to Lihue?

Sorry, that flight on Alaska is EACH WAY! My mistake!

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
California
Level Contributor
39,771 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to save on flights from LAX to Lihue?

LAX is the cheapest airport to go out of. That would be a pain to fly from LB, go through Las Vegas and onto Kauai. Totally not worth a few dollars in airfare savings in my opinion.

It looks like you bought the timeshare deal at The Westin. June has better weather than April especially North, but April has better airfare.

June should be from $600-700 and April $460-600.

You need to call Westin and see if they honor that promotion during June. Just because it says it needs to be used by Dec doesn't mean they have honor YOUR requested dates. These are timeshares and they might be booked or don't want to use the discount during the busiest time on the island.

I agree with Marti and wait until January to book if you choose June.

Mentioned in this post
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to save on flights from LAX to Lihue?

Mid-week is usually cheaper but we've been flying to/from on Fridays the last couple of years and it did not seem to affect the price.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to save on flights from LAX to Lihue?

Every time I compare the prices of connecting flights out of any SoCal airport with nonstops out of LAX, the nonstops out of LAX are always cheapest by far.

If I were you, I'd wait to book.

I went to Maui last month from LAX and watched fares for quite a while before AND after. I discovered that, at least this year to Maui, late summer fares dropped to lows that mid- and early-summer fares never reached. So I bet you could do better in August than in June.

But even for June, $1,000 for LAX to Lihue sounds way too high. I bet it'll come down. I'd hold out hopes for a while of getting it for $700ish.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to save on flights from LAX to Lihue?

<<But even for June, $1,000 for LAX to Lihue sounds way too high. I bet it'll come down.>>

That's been our experience over the past several years. I usually start looking seriously in January. I've have not had to change my lodging dates in the past 3 years because of airfare.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to save on flights from LAX to Lihue?

Sign up with every airline to get email alerts - the same with airfarewatchdog.com

It's always been cheaper for us to fly from LAX, even when Aloha (now defunct) was flying out of SNA or ONT. The last few years, non-stop flights have always been the best price and believe me, I've tried very creative options to save money.

We always go in Sept or Oct and usually get a fare less than $450.00 booked around Memorial Day or at least no later than 4th of July This year I had to wait until just a week ago before I jumped on the $456.00 non-stop fares - I was beginning to think the fares would Never go down.

3Chihuahuas