We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air-conditioning

Saint Louis...
1 post
Save Topic
Air-conditioning

We are going to Kauai for thanksgiving . We are thinking of renting a house that is on Moloaa bay 25 ft from bay set up over garage.There is no a/c but sliding glass picture windows throughout house. I don't like to be hot especially at night.

I don't think there are any ceiling fans either. What do you think?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,750 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Air-conditioning

No go.

I wouldn't rent anywhere in Hawaii at any time of year if A/C was not an option -- and we visit Jan. - Feb.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,554 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air-conditioning

I never need A/C while on Kauai but ceiling fans are a MUST. Are you sure there are no ceiling fans? I've never stayed anywhere in Hawaii without ceiling fans. Even in November, you will need to circulate the air.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air-conditioning

We rented in Princeville a couple of weeks ago. We had no air conditioning and no need of it. AS soon as we opened the patio doors and windows the wind whipped through our condo and kept things beautifully cool.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,750 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Air-conditioning

The thing is...the Trades DO die, and you'll be miserable.

The reason you don't see A/C *everywhere* isn't because 'you don't need it', it's the staggering cost of electricity in Hawaii.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Air-conditioning

Late November in the Moloaa area? I really doubt you'll need it. No ceiling fans though? The lack of those might be a deal breaker for me. It's unusual to not have them.

AC...... it all depends on the construction of the building. A typical condo has one entrance and 1 lanai door. Hotel rooms usually have one hallway entrance and a lanai door. In those cases yes, you need AC. There is no air circulation.

The more typical Hawaiian home is built with lots of jalousied windows and openings on all sides. They can get downright too windy inside at times. Odds are in late November in that area you're going to have some rain and strong winds or at least overcast skies. You may not feel the need for AC depending on the house construction.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
678 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air-conditioning

Trust me, you will be fine. Moloaa is wonderful and very breezy. Most places do not have A/C. You will be fine.

California
Level Contributor
36,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air-conditioning

You really want to rent something over someone's garage? Forget the need for a/c (doubtful you will need it then) but I would reconsider your choice of accommodations that time of the year. Just my opinion!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,720 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air-conditioning

You won't need a/c, especially at Moloa`a Bay, which tends to be windy. And the likelihood of the trades dying in November is pretty low.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air-conditioning

No ceiling fan? a deal braker for me. Once on Maui, Kihei, we had a condo with hall way entrance. They had ac and we were glad, no cross breeze.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,720 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air-conditioning

The upper level of a house is unlikely to have a hallway entrance. As long as it has windows on the front it will get lots of breeze at Moloa`a.