We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would like a condo as close to the water as possible

Colorado
Level Contributor
250 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Would like a condo as close to the water as possible

Hi...we stayed in Kona on BI last Feb at the Hale Kona Kai and had a unit whose lanai was DIRECTLY over the rocks/water...we practically got wet when the waves came in which is EXACTLY what we like...love the sound of the waves, the louder the better, and love to view the water...actually prefer rocks to sand beach as they produce more wave sound...is there ANYwhere on Kauai that we could find a similar experience? (without, I might add, spending a fortune--our budget is adequate but not wealthy)...I don't know where to begin looking...also...is there still a lot of construction going on?...seems a few years ago I was warned about this...we are a couple in our mid-fifties, four kids grown and gone so we appreciate not being inundated with pools with slides...prefer a condo...looking at one-two weeks and husband will want to golf, but does not need a resort.--he looks for the deals around the island and likes to try different courses (in fact, we're not big on resorts unless we can rent a condo right on the water and that is often too expensive......would love a rental where we could walk easily into town like we did in Kona, but this is not a must--scenery/water takes preference.....any suggestions?...thanks so much, Ana

California
Level Contributor
37,447 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would like a condo as close to the water as possible

Whaler's Cove, Kuhio Shores and Poipu Shores are a few that come to mind. Whaler's Cove and Kuhio Shores don't have a lot of families. They also seem to attract a bit of an older crowd. When are you going? Feb? If so most of the condos at Kuhio Shores book up a year in advance. If you see something, grab it.

This Kuhio Shores condo is one of my favorites:

www.alohagvr.com/vacation-rental-home.asp…

I get conflicting reports back from guests of mine in regard to their Poipu Shores condos. Some like them and others think the circulation is poor and therefore hot. You certainly do hear the waves.

www.summitpacificinc.com/poipushores.html

I really like Whaler's Cove.

suite-paradise.com/poipu-vacation-rentals/…

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,810 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would like a condo as close to the water as possible

Kuhio Shores would be my first choice! To truly get the full effect of the sounds of the ocean, look for a one bedroom that has an up-grade that opens the wall between the bedroom and the rest of the living space. They are typically very beautiful and deliver both ocean view and sounds right to the sleeping area.

KS is very similar to what you had in Kona, but no pool. There is a small swimming/snorkeling beach right next, though.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,238 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would like a condo as close to the water as possible

We've stayed at HKK (213) and it is CLOSE to the water. I think Kuhio Shores is the only complex that's as close as HKK.

3Chihuahuas

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Would like a condo as close to the water as possible

Jebett got it right...... Kuhio shores, Poipu Shores and Whaler's Cove. There are a few others all along Pe'e Road that hug the rocky coastline. Others would be Poipu Palms and Poipu Makai. Both very small developments.

Kuhio Shores and Whaler's Cove are on the western side of Poipu and the rest are on the eastern side. Whaler's Cove is the more upscale of the bunch with prices to match. Lovely oceanside pool. Kuhio Shores does not have a pool.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,774 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would like a condo as close to the water as possible

You did not mention a budget but if I was looking at Kuhio Shores vs.r Whaler's Cove, I think I would pick Whaler's because of the oceanfront pool and the very quiet, residental neighborhood where it is located. My husband stayed in Poipu Palms one time and he thought the units were pretty small for more than a couple. But if a pool is not a priority, Kuhio Shores is as close as you can get to the water's edge.

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/whalers-cove/

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/poipu-palms/

6. Re: Would like a condo as close to the water as possible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 August 2012, 04:37
central cove
Level Contributor
326 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would like a condo as close to the water as possible

Makahuena on Pe'e Road Building 5 unit 201, on the water. We stay here every December.

It is a great condo, it is managed by Parrishkauai.com

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would like a condo as close to the water as possible

I guess you're looking at the south shore? If north shore is a possibility take a look at Hanalei Colony Resort--ocean front or ocean view.

California
Level Contributor
37,447 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would like a condo as close to the water as possible

I forgot to add that I'm not sure what construction you are referring to, Ana. There was some construction in Poipu a few years ago and there is always road construction, but this is the problem with reading OLD posts or people bringing back old posts. They think that information is still pertinent.

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would like a condo as close to the water as possible

Whalers Cove looks to fit the bill, although we stayed down the road at Poipu Kapili. Poipu Kapili is a fantastic property too, and on the rocks. However, there is a low trafficked road between it and the rocks, although the road is used by walkers and jogger traffic probably more than by vehicular traffic. There are twenty four units "ocean front" (the road again), which to us, would fit your bill for the ocean sounds and views. It has the rocks and the thunderous sounds you're hoping for. We loved it. The corner units are the best.