We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic in Kauai

Shanghai, China
2 posts
Save Topic
Traffic in Kauai

I will be visiting Kauai for a week starting October 1 and staying in Poipu.

How bad is the traffic north bound from Poipu to Wailua/Princeville on the weekdays/weekends, and also south bound back to Poipu on weekdays/weekends?

There are so many amazing things to do on Kauai I want to make sure I maximize my time doing fun activities. Thank you so much for your help.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic in Kauai

It's trivial compared to most cities. Driving times per the mapping programs won't be far wrong except at the height of rush hour in the AM or PM.

At the moment there are some road works jamming things up in the day time. Might want to allow extra time to the airport, but half the jobs are pretty small and will be done with in a month. The paving between Hanamaulu and the airport will likely go longer so just avoid that at rush hour.

THe big project from Lihue down to Puhi is 99% complete. The look to be grassing and striping so they'll be done very soon. The guard rail replacement at Kealia is virtually complete. Haven't seen the projects west of Princeville so can't comment.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,641 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic in Kauai

Don't worry about it. It's probably not as bad as what you're used to.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic in Kauai

Never seemed that bad, nothing like Oahu if you've been there.

Mike in Tulsa

Kilauea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
687 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic in Kauai

No worries. Even in the worst traffic (usually due to road construction), which is quite laughable compared to So Cal., I have never had a problem.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic in Kauai

Agreed, traffic is nothing compared to what we have here in SoCal. Even if you're stopped on the road, just roll down the window, smell the flowers, turn up the music and gawk at scenery close up. KONG radio - 93.5 is really good about getting road info out. Just leave yourself plenty of time to get to the airport.

Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,382 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic in Kauai

3chi has the right idea. If you are stuck in traffic ... enjoy the view! Turn up the music!

Edited: 31 August 2012, 18:37
Shanghai, China
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic in Kauai

Thanks so much. Really appreciate this info.

8. Re: Traffic in Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2013, 10:18