We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Trip Report

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Trip Report

My wife and I were fortunate enough to spend three days in Kauai for our honeymoon after having spent a day in Seattle and six days in Maui. My trip report for Maui is in the Maui forum. As I had mentioned there, a big thanks to all of the individuals who facilitate the forums-- when planning our honeymoon, I was a long-time lurker. Your advice and enthusiasm were instrumental in helping us plan our trip!

Day 1 in Kauai

I hate to choose sides in the Maui-Kauai battle… but IMHO Kauai is the clear winner. We had the privilege of staying on the North Shore in Kilauea. The beauty of the island is just indescribable.

Right after touching down in Lihue, we drove over to Wings Over Kauai and had ourselves another little plane ride. I can’t recommend Wings Over Kauai enough. They were friendly and made us feel very safe. And we actually lucked out—turns out, the day we flew was one of the clearest days Kauai had experienced in a while.

I really appreciated seeing everything from the air before actually seeing it on the ground. A few times throughout the trip we were like—“oh wow, I remember seeing this from the plane!” A plane or helicopter ride is a great way to experience the Napali Coast and the Waimea canyon if you’re only on the island for a short time.

After the plane ride, we stopped at Safeway for provisions and then to our cottage rental. When we “checked in,” I felt like we struck gold! Our place had a wrap-around porch that had views of the mountains (the property backed up to a nature preserve) AND the Pacific. It had a gourmet kitchen and bathroom- everything in cherry wood and stainless steel. They even left us champagne and chocolates b/c it was our honeymoon. We honestly felt like king and queen—for $129 a night!

Kilauea Fish Market for dinner. Great food and very chill.

Day 2

We spent the day at Hanalei Bay. I seriously think this beach is underrated. It’s stunning. I wanted to just set up a tent and beach-bum it for good!

That night we went to the Dolphin restaurant in Hanalei for dinner. They have a great sushi bar. Very friendly staff!

Day 3

We went to Tunnels Beach nice and early to do some snorkeling. I had read numerous times on this forum that you need to get there early to get a spot. Unfortunately, I drove right by the parking for Tunnels and wound up at Haena Beach Park. No biggie—we just walked over to Tunnels. It’s really not THAT far—especially if you’ve packed light. I’m still glad we got there early though—so much snorkeling to do!

We saw some great fish and I got to test out my underwater videocamera. No honu, though!

We got plenty sunburnt—just in time for our trip back to the mainland!!!

Thank God the people we rented from had the foresight to include Solarcaine in their first aid kit ☺

Thanks again for the advice, everyone! Next time I think maybe it’s Kauai (for much longer!) and the Big Island. Mahalo!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report

Great report.

Can you give more info on your cottage rental? What company did you use & how did you find it?

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
925 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report

So glad you enjoyed Kauai, now you know why we all Love it so much, IMO Kauai is the most beautiful Island and the North shore the best part of the best Island, We also flew WOK last September and totally agree, you cant beat the views from the Air, Congrats on the Wedding.

California
Level Contributor
9,659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report

"We spent the day at Hanalei Bay. I seriously think this beach is underrated. It’s stunning. I wanted to just set up a tent and beach-bum it for good!"

Shhhh! Hopefully, it will stay uncrowded for several more years. I feel like I'm in heaven every summer when I'm fortunate enough to stay there for a few weeks.

Glad you had a great time. I'm also curious about where you stayed--sounds wonderful!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report

I agree with you about the beauty of Kauai! Just read your Maui report also. We love Maui....especially the snorkeling and the wide variety of everything there. BUT the north shore of Kauai has us obsessed! Next summer will be our 3rd summer in a row and I already want to plan our 4th summer! Glad you had a fabulous honeymoon.

california
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report

Sounds perfect, I'll have to read the rest (beginning) of your trip report on the Maui forum.

Where was your rental, I'm curious too. Since I'm already planning my 2nd trip to Kauai even though my first one doesn't happen until next summer! Ha!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,228 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report

Ah . . . so glad you had a good honeymoon! I spend a few days strolling along Hanalei Bay . . . makes you want to pinch yourself because it is so beautiful! Congrats to you both! :)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report

We love Honeymoon trip reports. Sounds like yours was great. Yes, it's hard to pick the best, after all, it's all Hawaii!

Thanks for the report.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report

Yes, we had a fantastic time! Here's where we stayed:

http://www.vrbo.com/375969

9. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 September 2012, 01:35
Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
679 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report

"I hate to choose sides in the Maui-Kauai battle… but IMHO Kauai is the clear winner."

....that's what I've been saying all along!

thanks for the report.