We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Flight via Hawaiian Air- Baggage?

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
International Flight via Hawaiian Air- Baggage?

Help please! We are traveling to Bangkok. Wondering about baggage. We have booked separate flights. LIH to HNL via Hawaiian Air. Then HNL to BKK with United Airlines.

My question:

1. Is Hawaiian Air going to check our bags all the way through to Bangkok?

2. Or do we gather our bags in HNL and haul it through to international and check in at United Air?

3. We are Pualani Gold with Hawaiian Air and am wondering if they accept our bags all the way to Bangkok if we get the luggage perks?

I have read many different answers on TA and wondering if anyone has current information.

Mahalo~

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: International Flight via Hawaiian Air- Baggage?

If you're getting conflicting answers on TA why not just call Hawaiian Airlines and ask them? They're your source for the most accurate info.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Flight via Hawaiian Air- Baggage?

Thanks Napa Guy. Not sure if you realize when one calls Hawaiian Air the calls are routed to Manila as part of Hawaiian Air outsourcing work. (Thats another whole subject!)

So the folks in Manila who take the calls often don't know the answer, such as this was the case!

So, if anyone has done this travel route recently I would appreciate some first hand knowledge. Thanks...

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,668 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Flight via Hawaiian Air- Baggage?

I'm sure you know according to HA's website, they will not check bags thru to another airline unless it's all on one PNR. I've been following this discussion on Flyer Talk, seems about a 50-50 chance they will still check them thru. I would definitely plan on retrieving your bags and re-checking them, if you don't need to, go celebrate with a drink!

flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines/13…

3Chihuahuas

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: International Flight via Hawaiian Air- Baggage?

I've had experiences both ways when on separate PNR's.

It seems that if you have the connection and it is less than 4 hours you may get lucky. I've done it to AA domestically and Delta to Tokyo and had no issue.

When connecting time was over 4 hours your chances greatly decrease. But, sometimes an agent makes an exception - but don't expect it.

Not sure if you have been to Thailand, but it is wonderful.

And, skip the drink if it is caffein or alcohol if you want to minimize jet-lag.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,279 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International Flight via Hawaiian Air- Baggage?

Doesn't it depend on where you go thru customs? That is usually when we have to pick up our bags . . . to go thru customs and then on. Hope it all works out smoothly for you! :)

6. Re: International Flight via Hawaiian Air- Baggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 September 2012, 03:00
7. Re: International Flight via Hawaiian Air- Baggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2013, 10:15