We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not a Costco member - where else near airport

Boston
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Not a Costco member - where else near airport

We are arriving about noon and wanted to do some shopping for food, snacks and liquor before heading up the Hanalei Bay Resort. Many have recommended Costco as it is near the airport and has good prices.

I am not a Costco member...where else can we pick up a few things? I think we will have more choices and better prices in Lihue as opposed to Hanalei.

Thanks~

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Not a Costco member - where else near airport

Walmart is your answer if you're not a Cosco member.

California
Level Contributor
38,432 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not a Costco member - where else near airport

Unless you need a carload of food, Costco isn't necessary. Before I head to HBR tomorrow I will stop at Safeway in Kapaa. Ask for their discount card upon checking out. For extra things to buy during your stay, you will get a discount card for Foodland on your keys when you check into the resort. Foodland is in the Princeville Shopping Center as you enter the Princeville community. I find Safeway has better prices especially for liquor.

If you have a few extra minutes, try Tropical Dreams Ice Cream next to Safeway. I think its the best ice cream on the island with Lapperts a close second.

Skidmore, Texas...
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not a Costco member - where else near airport

We stopped at Safeway Kapaa and used my Safeway card. We saved about $40. That's a good chunk of change.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,521 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not a Costco member - where else near airport

Safeway or Foodland in Kapa`a. More selection than Walmart.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not a Costco member - where else near airport

Agree Safeway or Foodland in Kapaa on way to Hanalei. Longs Drug store also good for a few bargains, I usually get beer there. Next to Safeway.

For sure i would not join Costco, just for basic groceries. with just wife and me, we do not buy basics at Costco. we do not need the quantities.

However that said, after two years of dropped membership wife rejoined Costco. She misses some things she can buy here, and trip to Hawaii is added emphasis.

There are a few things you do not have to buy in quantity in Hawaii, pineapples for one, and we love pineapples in hawaii. Gas can be cheaper, and they usually have some beach things

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not a Costco member - where else near airport

No Costco for us either. We always make the first stop at Walmart - coffee, sunscreen, shampoo, etc - next stop is Foodland in Kapa‘a for at least breakfast and snack stuff for next day - make sure you get their Maika`i card (free) for the discount, same with Safeway, get their card. Big Save is the other grocery with several locations - no card needed.

Foodland and Safeway both have on-line ads - I make a list beforehand.

FYI - Kaua‘i has banned the plastic grocery bags, I always bring a few with me from home, but you can also buy island-style ones once you arrive.

3Chihuahuas

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,521 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not a Costco member - where else near airport

Costco gas is considerably cheaper here. The next cheapest seems to be the Shell station at Papaloa Road just south of Kapa`a.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not a Costco member - where else near airport

You are on vacation, so keep things simple and easy and not time consuming.

Agree, stop at Safeway and lay in your provisions on the way up to your accomodations.

Stow your groceries, and kick back after your really long flight from Boston, and go out and spoil yourselves silly.

You are staying in an absolutely beautiful easy going and friendly resort at HBR, and more than likely you will have a great view for the greeting of your kauai mornings with coffee and breakfast on your own personal lanai. We also liked to bbq at the small swimming pool some of our dinners, and also go out a bit.

If you should need to replenish there is foodland, right there near you in the Princeville Shopping Center. Quite a nice super market and it just feels good when we shop there for additional items. It is orderly, clean, bright and pleasant.

We do use Foodland in Princeville, for additional food and drink items, no long drives or hassels, we want our north shore vacations to be very simple and easy.

Have a most wonderful visit...

Denny

Edited: 14 September 2012, 05:24
Hayward, CA
Level Contributor
191 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not a Costco member - where else near airport

Unless you're a large family or staying for more than 1 week, shop at Safeway. Since you have to buy food in such large bulks at Costco, you will have trouble eating everything before you return home. Costco is great for souvenirs though to take home. Just make sure to use your Safeway card for discounts that will add up.

California
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not a Costco member - where else near airport

I live in CA and use my phone # when checking out and get my safeway discount. Is this the same thing I need in Kauai or do I need to get some sort of other card? I have no desire to go to Costco. Safeway is fine and probably faster. Costco for me is a $ loser. Just my opinion and of course it is just the two of us.