We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moloaa Bay Food Help

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Moloaa Bay Food Help

My husband and I will be staying in Moloaa Bay for 5 nights at the end of the month. I know that area is a little more secluded, but I was hoping to get some recommendations on restaurants that are near (well within a half hour) this area?

Also, what will be the closest grocery option for us?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
678 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moloaa Bay Food Help

Wow, not a lot of food options for you. But I love Moloaa bay and it is one of my favorite spots on the entire island. For a quick lunch and dessert you can do the Moloaa Fruit Stand. On the way up there from the airport you will pass many grocery stores, including Safeway and Foodland in Kapaa. You will pass Whalers Market in Anahola as wels as Duanes Ono burger in anahola. Honestly, your best bet is to go to a grocery store and stock up, or go to the north shore Hanalei or Kapaa for Dinner/Lunch. have fun. I'm jealous.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,059 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moloaa Bay Food Help

You are within a half hour of the restaurants in Kapaa, as well as the ones in Kileuea, Princeville, and Hanalei.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,722 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moloaa Bay Food Help

FYI, the Whaler's in Anahola is VERY expensive.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moloaa Bay Food Help

Our flight doesn't get in until late, well 8:30 pm, what will still be open on our way up?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,722 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moloaa Bay Food Help

You can always pick up something prepared at Safeway in Kapa`a.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,823 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moloaa Bay Food Help

I can't think of any place where the kitchen isn't closed by 9:00pm except for

fast food - Burger King, MacDonald's, Taco Bell. Safeway and Foodland grocery (you'll pass both) have a deli, but who knows what's left that late...Safeway is 24 hours, Foodland till 11:00pm. If you're coming from HNL, I'd eat there - Stinger Ray's or Kona Brewing.

3Chihuahuas

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moloaa Bay Food Help

We were planning on dinner at HNL, but I wanted to stop somewhere for breakfast/lunch stuff on our way up. Safeway or Foodland will work great. Thank you all so much!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,823 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moloaa Bay Food Help

Make sure you ask for the discount card (free) at Foodland and Safeway - it saves a bunch off the regular price. Kaua‘i has done away with the plastic grocery bags, you'll need to bring your own or buy some.

3Chihuahuas

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,554 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moloaa Bay Food Help

You can still get paper bags for your groceries. We then used them for trash and recycling.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moloaa Bay Food Help

Or wait until you get to Foodland and buy a re-useable bag to keep as a souvenir:

www.foodland.com/shop/reusable-grocery-bags

*note - not all bags are available at all locations. The musubi bag tends to sell out quickly.