We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napili coast tour with bad back??

california
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Topic
Napili coast tour with bad back??

ALoha

we are planning a trip to Kauai for next summer, and looking into various hotel and tour options. We would love to do the Napili Coast boat tours, but am concerned because I have a bad back and do get seasick. 5 hours just seems so long if it is bumpy and choppy the entire time. I was looking at either CAPTAIN ANDYS catamaran morning tour, which seems to be a large catamaran, or th NAPILI EXPERIENCE with appears to be a smaller motor boat with maybe 6-8 passengers. JUst wondering if anyone has tried either one and has any advice on how hard the journey is on ones back. I know the zodiac boat is not a good idea, just cant decide if the large Catamaran or the smaller motor boat would give better stability for the "pounding on your back" and secondarily the motion sickness. I really would love to do this tour, just wondering if its not a good idea.

SECONDLY... IF i choose not to do the boat tour, is there any drive up toward the NOrth shore that will give a scenic view of the island to at least allow us to see the beauty of kauai without doing it by boat?

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Napili coast tour with bad back??

I can surely sympathize with both the back and motion sickness issues, having both. We have done Captain Andy catamaran during reasonably calm conditions and had no problems with either issue. I did, however, take meclizine before the cat trip. So "pounding waves" were no real problem and there were places where I could both sit comfortably and stand. If you think it is too risky, you might try a helo tour -- that is an awesome way to see the Napali, as well as other great parts of the island.

California
Level Contributor
35,276 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Napili coast tour with bad back??

During the summer go out of the North Shore. Water is calmer. I went in May and took 1 dramamine and the ocean was like glass.

The entire drive to the North Shore is scenic. Stop at the Hanalei Taro Fields Lookout, Lighthouse and you could probably do the first 1/4 mile hike of the Kalalau Trail. Take a walking stick for extra support but its so breathtakenly beautiful just up to those first few lookouts.

Try Napali Catamaran or Holo Holo rigid inflatable out of Hanalei. I loved it and it wasn't rough on the back at all.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Napili coast tour with bad back??

I too have back issues but I've never felt uncomfortable when on one of the nice , large catamarans. There's plenty of cushioned seating and the only place I've experienced pounding on my back from sharp up/down movements is when hanging on up front at the very bow of the boat.

Seasickness would be more of an issue for you I think. People post here all the time about the solutions they've found for this. You can do a search or maybe some will post here on how they deal with it.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Napili coast tour with bad back??

first of I am not the doctor in this family, and strongly advise that you need to contact your personal MD.....and ortho doc.

You are going to be on a dynamic ocean, which even if there are no large swells you can have some pretty good sized wind waves, and beating into those seas is not good for a bad back.

Also, how fit are you, and how is your balance, as the vessel can be moving about and you need to hang on with at least one hand when moving about.

You also say that you get sea sick.

Not quite understanding why you are entertaining the idea of a five hour Napali Coast Tour with the posibility of mal de mer for a few hours.

None of us here can guarantee a flat calm ocean with no trade winds and a lake out there. We are also are not your physician and are out of our scope of practice , at least I am, to advise you to take a 5 plus hour napali ocean cruise.

Can you hike 4 miles round trip over rocks and mud on the hanakapiai trail....you will get a few views of the napali coast, but nothing close to a Napali Coast boat tour.

The sugestion of seeing the wonderful and beautiful tahiti like north shore on land is a good one, and you will find skeeerumptious views, valleys, possibly water falls, hanalei bay beach, limahuli gardens, the hanalei river valley and taro field views, and quaint and fun hanalei town. This whole area will knock your slippahs off.

We now have had 13 napali trips and about 4 poipu sunset cruises, and have quite a bit of experience in these Kauai waters, and I just cannot recommend that a person with a bad back ( not sure how bad ) and who gets sea sick to go out on a 5 plus hour open ocean tour.

But, you know your own phsical limitations much better than I.

Take the good information in all of the above posts, plus your docs recommendations and use your own instincts to make an informed decision that is best for you and also your group. How will they feel if you are going through discomfort ?

Denny

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Napili coast tour with bad back??

Good advice from Denny.

I did this a couple of years ago (before my back got worse, I now have to use a cane outside my apartment) and the main problem for me was, walking the short distance from the office down to the pier where the boats are. I made it but was the last on the boat. Fortunately I do not get seasick so cannot help there.

california
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Napili coast tour with bad back??

Thats a fair point. My back is generally fine.. if I am careful! . I just know that if I were to take a long horsback ride, or go on the Zodiac where there is constant poinding on the tailbone,... I would be in need of a really good chiropractor withing 24 hours! As long as there is a good cushion and the ability to walk around a bit (i am in good physical shape) then it shouldnt be a problem...

Mahalo

7. Re: Napili coast tour with bad back??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 10:16