We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DFW-Lihue for $580

DFW
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
DFW-Lihue for $580

I have been looking at tickets basically since we got back from our trip to Kauai in May and just found tickets from DFW to Lihue for $580. I am about to pull the trigger- this is the cheapest I've seen it! Also, if we wanted to go DFW-Lihue-Maui-DFW, it is also $580 (then we'd have to buy inter island tickets, of course). Does everybody agree that I should jump on this? The only downfall is that it goes through San Francisco, and on our way there in May when we flew through San Fran, we were on an older 757 which seemed very cramped. We will have our 2 kids with us (almost 4 and 7 in April) and that makes me a little nervous. I'd like to have more room to stretch. Any opinions would be appreciated. :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: DFW-Lihue for $580

Avoid west coast connections and 757's. You can fly one long leg DFW-HNL on a 767 and hop to either Lihue or Kahului, or you can fly DFW-OGG on a 767 and hop (or just stay Maui).

DFW
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: DFW-Lihue for $580

I should have specified that we are flying United as we have enough miles for one free ticket. I seem to be only finding routes on 757's with stopovers in San Francisco, into both OGG and Lihue from DFW.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DFW-Lihue for $580

I fly from here to Colorado once a year. I stop on the west coast or in Phoenix or Las Vegas. That is because I can't afford a non stop flight. I would definitely jump on that deal, more than likely it won't go any lower.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DFW-Lihue for $580

I like to stop on the West Coast with kids - gives them a chance to get out and stretch their legs, use a "real" potty, and eat food that's ever-so-slightly less processed than the United SnackPacks.

You could also look for DFW-DEN-LIH tickets - there's a direct DEN-LIH flight every Saturday, but that's a long 7 hours on an old 757.

Definitely pay to upgrade to Economy Plus, at least for the way over (if you fly a red-eye return the extra space is not such a big deal). It will add ~$100 per ticket but it is SO WORTH IT.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: DFW-Lihue for $580

I'd send one of you 'around the world' on the freebie and the rest of you could take the AA flight straight to Hawaii. A lot of people would LOVE to have the option of a nonstop on a widebody aircraft right in their own 'backyard'. LOL

Anything via Phoenix? (I'm trying to get you on a bigger plane for one long leg.)

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DFW-Lihue for $580

Being from St. Louis, we've done the WEst coast connection alot always on AA for the award tickets. We kind of like the break in the long flight. As for the 757, I think that's what we're always on (3 seats on either side of the aisle). Not ideal, but it gets us to Hawaii. At least with 4 of you traveling, 3 can sit on one side and the other can sit across the aisle. Worked out well for us when kids were little. We'll be doing our first 9 hour flight from DFW - Ogg in Feb and I'm already dreading the long flight. At least we'll get there sooner. The price seems really good.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: DFW-Lihue for $580

What are you waiting for? GRAB IT. At that price what does it matter what type of plane you're on? You each only need one seat so does it matter that the plane seems more cramped than the larger planes? If you want to fly straight into Lihue this is the plane you get (and it doesn't seem to bother the many, many people flying in direct from the west coast into Lihue each and every day.

Sure, you can get on a bigger plane flying into Oahu but then you've got the interisland flight. Is it worth it? That's an incredible price.

p a
unict
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: DFW-Lihue for $580

Or through Houston?

DFW
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: DFW-Lihue for $580

Well, I'm an idiot and waited too long. I went to buy the tickets last night and the prices had gone back up to $740. I have noticed that tickets are generally better earlier in the week- I think I read that Tuesday is the best day to look for good airfare, so I'll wait a couple more weeks and see what happens. We may just have to buy them for $700. Thanks for all of the advice, though!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: DFW-Lihue for $580

To each his own. I am uncomfortable in the seats in both coach and first on a 757. I've been stuck in one on *both* legs ORD-LAX-HNL. I hope we've had our last post-midnight connection at LAX as we fly home. I can *sleep* uninterrupted on the redeye 767's from Hawaii to DFW or ORD.