We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in JANUARY: Lodging on a beach with safe snorkeling?

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai in JANUARY: Lodging on a beach with safe snorkeling?

Is there lodging on a beach in Kauai which has good snorkeling in January? Preferably where you can walk on the sand right into the water?

We are planning our annual January anniversary trip. Haven't been to Kauai for over 20 years! Our previous trip to gorgeous Kauai was in June. This will be a January trip.

Snorkeling isn't the main focus of our trip. But we do love to snorkel on a couple of mornings, and it is most relaxing if we can wake up early, and walk right out of our lodging, and into the water.

We will have a rental car to explore the island as well. We LOVED Kauai over 20 years ago, but have never been to Kauai in January.

Last January, I fell in love with the Big Island. We have also enjoyed Maui in January one year. Have never been to Oahu, but I dislike the sight of Honolulu area from the air...looks like Los Angeles. (I live in Southern California.)

I think Kauai would be our best match this year. We would probably split our stay so that we could spend some nights on the green wet north side of the island. Always love the green wet side of tropical islands. (Love Hana area on Maui and Hilo area on BI.) But also want to spend some nights on a calm beach, safe for snorkeling...which I assume would be south shore on Kauai in January??

I came across an old thread on this subject but it was 2011. I'm looking for the most updated info as things can change.

I appreciate your advice!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai in JANUARY: Lodging on a beach with safe snorkeling?

Yes, South shore (Poipu Beach) will be your best bet for weather and snorkeling in Jan. Lawai beach is another snorkeling beach on the South Shore. There are both hotels and condos on/ walking distance to the beach. Do you have a preference of condos or hotels? What is your nightly accommodations budget?

California
Level Contributor
9,563 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai in JANUARY: Lodging on a beach with safe snorkeling?

Take a look at the Sheraton if you want a hotel or Kiahuna Plantation, which sits next to the Sheraton, if you're thinking of a condo. They are on one of the best beaches on Kauai.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai in JANUARY: Lodging on a beach with safe snorkeling?

On Kauai you would stay Poipu and drive up the the more beautiful north for a day. Hawaiian winter hits primarily the northern shores of Kauai, Oahu, and to some extent Maui. Some years even Poipu gets an extended drenching. Don't expect the same quality of sealife that you experienced off Big Island or Maui.

We've always visited Hawaii in winter -- escaping our own in the Midwest. We've stayed Oahu, Big Island and Poipu several times, but now go to South Maui in Jan.-Feb.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai in JANUARY: Lodging on a beach with safe snorkeling?

We have found consistently good, safe winter snorkeling at Lawaii Beach. The beach itself isn't much more than a strip of sand along the road, but to walk in and snorkel that doesn't matter. There are condos nearby and restaurants too so days can be accomplished without driving if you don't want to head out in a car.

I agree that I've never had as good of snorkeling on any island as the Big Island, but Lawaii is pretty good all around. Up north Tunnels Beach in summer is good too and also the north shore of Oahu, but only in summer when the big waves are elsewhere. Shark's cove is a lot of fun to explore up there and is the only reason I'd ever go back to Oahu!

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai in JANUARY: Lodging on a beach with safe snorkeling?

Orchid6510: to answer your questions we would stay in a hotel or condo or b&b depending on location and other factors. Our budget swings with our mood. (-; depends on what feels right for us.

Everybody thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to check out all your suggestions. I will keep an eye on this post as well.

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai in JANUARY: Lodging on a beach with safe snorkeling?

Everybody thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to check out all your suggestions. I will keep an eye on this post as well.

Luv2snorkel 61 : how easy is it to walk into the water at lawai to snorkel? I love to snorkel but I'm a cautious snorkeler and I like an easy entry. Also have tender feet. Thanks.

Kauao22: I will look at the Sheraton too. Thank you.

Edited: 24 September 2012, 19:59
California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai in JANUARY: Lodging on a beach with safe snorkeling?

Luv2snorkel 61 : how easy is it to walk into the water at lawai to snorkel? I love to snorkel but I'm a cautious snorkeler and I like an easy entry. Also have tender feet. Thanks.

Kauao22: I will look at the Sheraton too. Thank you.

Edited: 24 September 2012, 20:00
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai in JANUARY: Lodging on a beach with safe snorkeling?

There's a little strip of sand leading into the water about midway down the beach. It's easy to get in there.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai in JANUARY: Lodging on a beach with safe snorkeling?

Very easy access into the water at Lawaii, sandy, gradual increase in depth. Nice snorkeling pretty close in. Nothing like navigating the lava rocks on the Big Island! I've not experienced any strong rip currents there either, which is not to say they don't happen. I could just be lucky on that.

Do buy yourself a cheapo pair of water shoes or thick water socks. It makes getting in and out easier all around (having accidentally stepped on and smushed a sea cucumber once at Poipu in bare feet I always have something on now--no harm to my feet, but the feeling was blech and I still feel badly). And there's the not too likely chance stepping on a ray that's nestled itself down under the sand. I wear water shoes and have larger fins that fit over them.

No guarantees, but 3 different times I've seen a sunning Hawaiian monk seal at Lawaii. A real treat--just stay far away and leave it in peace if there happens to be one. They are endangered and come with their own set of federal rules (and basic human decency) to help them rest when they are up on shore.

Edited: 24 September 2012, 22:31
California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai in JANUARY: Lodging on a beach with safe snorkeling?

luv2snorkel61 and pzp: Thanks that helps! It sounds like I'd be confident enough to snorkel at Lawaii in January, assuming the weather cooperates. Forgive the dumb-sounding question, but can you wear water shoes or water socks while swimming without any fins? I can't wear fins because they freak me out and I'm clumsy with them, so instead of fins, I just rent a noodle and float along while snorkeling, kicking my feet gently. What are water socks? I have some issues with tender feet with 2 toes that blister easily. But I usually snorkel bare-foot. However maybe those water shoes or water socks you mention would work for me? But would they feel too heavy in the water if I'm not using fins? Thanks! Do you have a favorite accommodation near Lawaii?