We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4th 2013 10 yr anniversary traveling with kids.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
July 4th 2013 10 yr anniversary traveling with kids.

Hi,

We are look to celebrate our 10 yr weeding anniversary with a 10 day trip to Kauai over July 4th next year. I am just starting to look into it and the more I research the more questions I have!

We (mid 30's) will be traveling with our two sons (4 and 7 yrs old) as well as grandma and grandpa. Our goal is to spend 6 nights with the entire family at a rental with a pool and close to the beach. Then my wife and I will move to another rental/hotel for 3 nights while grandma and grandpa watch the kids at the original rental.

I am having a heck of a time pinning down a place to rent. Some place with other children nearby is important to us as well as being somewhat close to the beach (probably not beachfront as it appears to be too expensive) looking at <$2500 for 10 days in the main property.

I also cant quite figure out a nice romantic place for my wife and I to stay. We would like a quiet beach and just a place to unwind.

There are so many beautiful locations on the island it makes it tough to pick a place to stay!!!

And I am looking to rent a vehicle for our stay. (like a jeep or convertible) What would be the most cost effective method?

Thank you for all of your help. Any tips you can share are appreciated!!!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4th 2013 10 yr anniversary traveling with kids.

With all those people, you will need a bigger vehicle unless grandma and grandpa are renting another car. Even if they are, you may need to read some threads on TA about luggage space in convertibles and jeeps. Am not an expert on places for kids so hopefully martik or blue flamingo will chime in soon.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4th 2013 10 yr anniversary traveling with kids.

There are many older threads on Jeeps and Convertibles vs. regular cars. Neither are very practical and present luggage problems, esp for 4 +2. They cost quite a bit extra as well unless you find a deal so it's really a splurge decision that only you can decide on. If cost is an issue, a bigger car or 2 small ones may make more sense.

Renting a house for <$250/day with a pool at the beach is not any easy one. Especially in summer which is a high period. Might want to call the various brokers to see what they could suggest. The pool is the tough element unless you are willing to go for a condo instead of a hotel. Maybe check out the new, huge condos at Koloa Landing. They have 3 br condos which are very large. Many of the condo complexes could meet your need and that budget might work.

Start with the Top Questions threads on "which side of the island to stay on" to get an idea of what area appeals to you and once you start narrowing things down you may be able to get better advice here.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,265 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4th 2013 10 yr anniversary traveling with kids.

I just booked a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom at Nihi Kai for the same time frame. The price is $200/night. It's very close to Brennecke's Beach (my 10 and 13 year old sons love to boogie board) and Poipu Beach Park. Nihi Kai also has a great, heated pool with nice views of the ocean.

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/…

In June, I would head up to the St. Regis for your time away. You can also look into the Koa Kea in Poipu (if you do not want to be too far away). It's a small, boutique hotel that tends to cater to adults.

http://www.koakea.com/

Also, we tend to rent mini-vans for the 4 of us. Has lots of room.

Edited: 24 September 2012, 21:13
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4th 2013 10 yr anniversary traveling with kids.

In July, the calmest water will be on the northshore. Princeville would have the most lodgings with pools for all budget, but then it is a short drive to a beach. Lodgings near beaches would be in Anini, Haena, and Hanalei.

What is your budget for your 3 nights? Want something quiet and remote like a cottage or a hotel with services?

I would plan to rent 2 cars - a small econo for you two and something else for G & G & kids.

If you are wanting a house, I would search & rent soon. I rented a house for this past July and booked it in October - July is a busy time in Kauai. Happy planning! :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4th 2013 10 yr anniversary traveling with kids.

"he pool is the tough element unless you are willing to go for a condo instead of a hotel."

sorry meant a house not a hotel. too late to edit. Hotels pretty much all have pools.

California
Level Contributor
9,217 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July 4th 2013 10 yr anniversary traveling with kids.

I was also thinking of Nihi Kai; you'd probably want a 3 bedroom but might be able to get by with two. Here's a house that my daughter's rented which is right across from Nihi Kai but no pool---about a 5-10 min. walk to the beach. kauaivacationrentals.com/rental/house.html…

For your getaway, St. Regis or Koa Kea are good options.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July 4th 2013 10 yr anniversary traveling with kids.

Wow thank you for all of the quick replies. I really appreciate them.

The jeep/convertible is more of a splurge and would be a vehicle for use with just 2 adults in it. We would look to rent a second vehicle which would carry the kids. Some like a little Focus or similar.

We don't mind condos for the whole family stay, in fact I was thinking that my kids mights find more friends in a condo? The pool does not need to be private but some kind of a safe area for my kids to swim since they are so young but LOVE water.

As for the place my wife and I would like to stay, I would prefer someplace secluded and quiet with a great view. I don't mind quirky! We aren't crazy wealthy so the $1000 a night places are waaaaay out of our budget.

It all looks so wonderful its just kind of overwhelming picking a place to stay! But its always so much fun reading all of the old posts!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July 4th 2013 10 yr anniversary traveling with kids.

If you can list a nightly budget, we can help with suggestions . . . $100? $200? $300? Thanks! :)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July 4th 2013 10 yr anniversary traveling with kids.

I would like to keep the budget for my wife and I to <$250 per night.

And about the same for the condo/house

California
Level Contributor
9,217 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July 4th 2013 10 yr anniversary traveling with kids.

http://www.hcr.com/ Take a look at Hanalei Colony Resort for you and your wife. It looks like you could stay there for $290 a night.