We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Day lunch on our way to North Shore

Boston
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First Day lunch on our way to North Shore

Would love to have lunch someplace on the way to Hanalei Bay area as we drive from the airpor on our first day in Kauai. Since we are staying on the North Shore that is where most of our meals will be so wanted to try a different location.

After picking up the car we are planning on stopping at Wailua Falls and Kilauea Lighthouse on our way. I was thinking Ka'paa or Kilauea area's might work.

Not looking for any fancy, casual lunch fare. A view would be a plus.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,289 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Day lunch on our way to North Shore

We really enjoyed the Lighthouse Bistro in Kilauea for lunch last June. Very casual, great service and good food.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,108 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Day lunch on our way to North Shore

Or pizza in Kilauea at The Kilauea Bakery & Pau Hana Pizza. Or if you want to have a burger, Duana's Ono Char. :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,006 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Day lunch on our way to North Shore

Scottie's BBQ or Oasis in Kapa`a. Both have ocean views. Oasis is particularly nice. Or, grab something from Paco's Tacos by Otsuka's, just north of Kapa`a, and eat at the ocean view picnic tables.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Day lunch on our way to North Shore

Lots of choices. We arrive next month just in time for lunch too and I'm torn on which to choose.

TC's Island Grill at Coconut Marketplace, GREAT inexpensive food, no view, but BYOB

Olympic Cafe - good food, full bar, open air on 2nd floor w/ a peek of ocean and view over downtown Kapa‘a (hubby loves the shorts the waitresses wear)

Chicken in a Barrel - this will be new for us, they are getting rave reviews - take out only, get some beer and plop down at a covered table at Kealia Beach.

Decisions, decisions

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
9,911 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Day lunch on our way to North Shore

We always stop at Moloa'a Sunrise Fruit Stand--great sandwiches, smoothies, and a good selection of fruit. Look for it on the right near the 17 mile marker in a pretty parklike setting.

California
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Day lunch on our way to North Shore

Do you want view? If so (and that's how I like to start off my vacation) then I agree with pzp. If you want hole in the wall, then you have lots of choices in Kapaa like Chicken in a Barrel, Shrimp Station, Killah Steaks etc.

Another non view, but very organic with a nice setting is The Garden at Common Grounds.

new york
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Day lunch on our way to North Shore

I second moloa'a sunrise or right before the lighthouse Is the common grounds in kilauea which is also a good stop

California
Level Contributor
9,911 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Day lunch on our way to North Shore

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60609-d54…

Thought you might want to check this out.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Day lunch on our way to North Shore

Scotty's BBQ in Kapa'a has a fantastic ocean view - a great start to your vacation, and is very laid back. It is right on your way - no fuss, just pull in and enjoy. The food isn't the absolute greatest, but it is more than fine - and the view is worth it.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 02:52
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First Day lunch on our way to North Shore

Scotty's or a plate lunch from Pono market and go eat at the picnic tables at Kealia a couple miles north.