We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu Kapili or Nihi Kai ... Which one would you choose?

Hillsboro, Oregon...
3 posts
Save Topic
Poipu Kapili or Nihi Kai ... Which one would you choose?

We are spending 10 days in Poipu, Kauai right after Christmas and through New Years. We have reservations at both Poipu Kapili and Nihi Kai Villas. Booked both 6 mos ago because we couldn't decide on one and figured there'd be nothing left once we could make up our mind. Now, I need to cancel one in order to get my deposit back (minus a small fee) and we still can't decide!

We are traveling as a group of 6 ... 4 adults and 2 teenagers. (me, hubby, 15 yr old daughter, 13 yr old son, brother and sister in law). We have 2 condos reserved at Poipu Kapili (a 2 br oceanfront and a 1 br oceanview). At Nihi Kai we have a 3 br partial ocean view condo reserved. I realize Poipu Kapili will be more expensive but am willing

to pay if it's really worth it.

Any comments, suggestions or experiences you could share would be much appreciated! :)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poipu Kapili or Nihi Kai ... Which one would you choose?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Based just on location alone (I've never stayed at Po'ipu Kapili, although we did stay at Nihi Kai multiple times a long time ago before we moved here) - I'd go with Nihi Kai Villas.

I love the location, right by Brennecke's Beach and Po'ipu Beach Park - the grounds are beautiful, the pool is right by the ocean, and you are within easy walking distance to many restaurants and shops.

I personally like the eastern end of the Po'ipu area better than the west - just my own opinion - but I just like the "feel" of it better - and I like that you are so close to the ocean and the beach parks.....I like all the little bungalows and the greenbelt next to Nihi Kai as well. The other area to the west just seems more built-up to me. Again, my opinion only.

As I said, I stayed there many years ago, but as far as the set-ups of the condos go, that hasn't changed - and I remember staying at several of the buildings and enjoying each one of them.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poipu Kapili or Nihi Kai ... Which one would you choose?

I too really like Nihi Kai. We've stayed there several times in the recent years and we really enjoy the location, the views and the units. We are only a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children) so we have rented a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit with ocean views. It's very close to Brennecke's Beach which is a favorite of my kids. I've heard wonderful things about Poipu Kapili and many love it there. But I'm with Janet on the this. I really do not like the location. I've also thought PK was a bit pricey but again, I've never stayed there myself so the units may well be worth the larger price tag.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poipu Kapili or Nihi Kai ... Which one would you choose?

Difference of opinion here. I stayed at Poipu Kapili last September for the first time, loved it so much, I bought the unit in November. ( so yes, I guess I am biased at this point). The location was one of my deciding factors. I feel its a lot less congested in this area as compared to where Nihi Kai is located. The units are all spacious, most with great ocean views. I felt Poipu Kapili was just a cut above other places I looked at.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poipu Kapili or Nihi Kai ... Which one would you choose?

Nihi Kai is far enough from the hustle and bustle of the Poipu Beach area to be very quiet. But also very close to head over to Brennecke's Beach Broiler for lunch or happy hour or the deli for shave ice easily. I think your teenagers will really like the area around Brennecke's snack shop and surf store. You teenagers might also enjoy boogie boarding at Brennecke's Beach (a favorite activity for my soon to be 11 and 14 year olds) which is about a 2-3 minute walk from Nihi Kai.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poipu Kapili or Nihi Kai ... Which one would you choose?

My only other comment is that you will have a lot more room with the 2 condos you have reserved at Poipu Kapili. It might be better for your group to have that extra space.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,175 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poipu Kapili or Nihi Kai ... Which one would you choose?

Poipu Kapili would be a wonderful choice. The units are known to be rather spacious.Fit and finish is top notch, beautiful Koa wood.

The property has a certain charm and elegance to it. The grounds are meticulously landscaped and lush.....very tropical Hawaiiana feel. The views are undeniably spectacular. The lava "wall" across the way is a terrific vantage to soak up those memorable sunsets the shore south experiences.

The decision would be an easy one for me....Poipu Kapili ..hands down. The way you have it arranged for your group...a 2 BR + 1 BR seems like the ideal situation......allowing for togetherness yet providing a wee bit of a buffer zone.

All of the units are afforded a pretty darn good view given the "horseshoe" type layout.....but I have to say those 2 BR Oceanfront @ PK are really something.

Kauai is such a great destination, so I suspect you will have a terrific trip whichever choice you make. But for me...after many, many extended stay visits to the South shore of Kauai ...staying in a variety of properties over the years......it is difficult to go elsewhere after staying at Poipu Kapili.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,423 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poipu Kapili or Nihi Kai ... Which one would you choose?

I can't imagine how any one can think Nihi Kai Villas is a better location than Poipu Kapili.

Poipu Kapili is easy walking distance to both the shopping villages for the restaurants and shops, is on a quieter street and is right on the water except for a small street in front. I think the beach in front of the Sheraton is the best beach in Poipu and it is an easy walk.

The units at Poipu Kapili will give you a lot more room and more importantly, more bathrooms. The Townhouses at PK have 3 bathrooms and a washer dryer and the 1 bedrooms have two bathrooms. That is a better setup than 6 adults trying to use 2 or even 3 bathrooms.

The grounds are great at Poipu Kapili, the upkeep meticulous and the staff is amazing. They go the extra mile in everything.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poipu Kapili or Nihi Kai ... Which one would you choose?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"I can't imagine how any one can think Nihi Kai Villas is a better location than Poipu Kapili"

Everyone has their own personal preferences on location - no one is wrong or right - it is all personal opinion.

I happen to like the eastern part of the Po'ipu area better, I live not in the resort area, but right up from it about 1/4 mile away - so my views on it are based on it from the perspective of a resident - maybe a visitor would feel differently, maybe not.

I think the area to the west has been more built-up recently with Koloa Landing, Kukui'ula Development project, and other areas - while the eastern end has stayed pretty much the same for years and years.

Again - my opinion only.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poipu Kapili or Nihi Kai ... Which one would you choose?

<<I can't imagine how any one can think Nihi Kai Villas is a better location than Poipu Kapili>>

I have to agree with Janet (again). I also prefer the east side. I guess I never liked the location of Poipu Kapili. It's a personal preference.

Hillsboro, Oregon...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Poipu Kapili or Nihi Kai ... Which one would you choose?

Thank you all for your comments and perspective. It is very helpful and much appreciated. Still weighing the pros and cons but will make our decision in the next few days .... Leaning toward Poipu Kapili at this moment. I'm sure we will have a wonderful time enjoying the beauty of Kauai and the much improved weather over Oregon in the winter so we probably can't go wrong.

Again, thanks for your time and opinions :)