We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of Kauai - The Garden Island News Supplement

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
Save Topic
Best of Kauai - The Garden Island News Supplement

Below is link to recent Garden Island News supplement Best of Kauai. It lists what their readers, via unscientific voting, consider the best places ranging from food to car repair. Page A3 has a category index. Many of the places have been discussed here on TripAdvisor.

http://tinyurl.com/9odhjb8

It is worth looking at for some ideas, especially if new to the island.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 11:49
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best of Kauai - The Garden Island News Supplement

Last year we discussed if voting skewed or if the Best is really the best. Rather than rehash all that again, you can read the comments at link below:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k48531…

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best of Kauai - The Garden Island News Supplement

Well timed since I was going to ask about best boutique on the island for a teen girl who wants to get a dress, a shirt and a bikini that have a tropical flair, but aren't over-the-top gaudy. Would that be Buddha Boutique? If not, where?

California
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best of Kauai - The Garden Island News Supplement

luv2snorkel, my granddaughter's favorite place to shop is Quicksilver. There's a store in the Kukui'ula Shopping Village in Poipu and one in Hanalei. Hanalei Surf Company also has cute things.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best of Kauai - The Garden Island News Supplement

They have some cute t-shirts at Pohaka Tees in Koloa.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
802 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best of Kauai - The Garden Island News Supplement

Good timing - been sitting here watching the Balihai.com Hanalei webcam and planning out our trip (95 hours to go!) and looking for someplace new to try. Kind of hard for me to believe the Bull Shed tied for Best Restaurant (East)- not that I don't like it, we eat there just about every trip, but what the??

I'm pretty sure they don't have a huge advertising budget, so maybe they do actually rely on readers votes ....

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best of Kauai - The Garden Island News Supplement

22kauai--thanks for the tips. I want this shopping excursion to be fast and efficient. The last thing I want to do on a Hawaiian vacation is shop!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best of Kauai - The Garden Island News Supplement

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There is a reason the Bull Shed has been around forever (I'm pretty sure since the early 1980's at least?) - it is a local favorite for many residents here.

I've gone to Valentine's Day dinners there, birthdays and other occasions with good friends - even though I don't eat meat and hubby is vegetarian - there is always something that we enjoy - and the ambiance there is great, simple and good. Nothing "foodie" about it, but it says something when a restaurant here has that kind of staying power - given the fact that so many come and go within a short period of time.

Oh, just a correction about the T-shirt place here in Koloa - the name is "Pohaku T's" (pohaku means stone or rock in Hawaiian) and it is fronted on Po'ipu Road, just down from the Chevron station.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
802 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best of Kauai - The Garden Island News Supplement

I'm in agreement with you Janet, we like finding the local favorites, and hole-in-the-wall places. The Bull Shed reminds me of a steakhouse that was here in So.Cal (The Barn) back in the '80s. We have always found the food to be good and the service friendly, despite what others think of it. Plus, you can't get much closer to the water - always fun to see people's reaction to waves hitting the windows. It was already on my list of places to eat, just need to figure what day we'll be heading down that way....

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,064 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best of Kauai - The Garden Island News Supplement

Isn't the Bullshed changing to something else soon?

luv2, try Hula Girl and Taj Beach in Kapa`a.

California
Level Contributor
35,199 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best of Kauai - The Garden Island News Supplement

Even my family who lives on the island and used to LOVE Bullshed said its not good any longer and I do believe it is changing hands. I haven't been in years!

This survey is based on the local's opinions. Its interesting is all I have to say....