We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary input

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
itinerary input

Hello Kauai board!

We leave for our first visit to Kauai in just about two weeks. I have the blue book, I have been reading threads and put together a rough itinerary for our trip. We will be staying at the Hyatt for a total of 5 nights. It is an anniversary trip so we are trying to balance doing stuff/exploring and relaxing. I am coming off a foot injury, so most of our "doing" needs to be mellow. So below is my rough itinerary and I would love any input along the way! Also...we are always on the hunt for the best poke and a good happy hour :)

WEDNESDAY: arrive around noon, grab rental car, head to hotel. spend rest of day and evening getting familiar with and enjoying the hotel + surrounding beaches.

THURSDAY: explore day- heading to north shore for the day. along the way stop at the Wailua Falls and Opaeka`a Falls. In the north shore we would like to see Secret Beach and the Lighthouse. Anything else we HAVE to see while we are there? I feel slightly overwhelmed by the options but we would like to spend the entire day there...so anything else you suggest?

FRIDAY: our anniversary and we are just going to chill and play it by ear :) go for a swim, get massages, eat good food. I AM looking for a place on the beach or cliffs above near the Hyatt where we can enjoy the sunset together?

SATURDAY: explore the west side of the island? I am intrigued by going by glass beach. And Waimea Canyon is a must do? Is there a easy hike we can do while there? Everything I have seen looks more strenuous. I would like to find a good place to watch the sunset and my Mr. wants to check out the brewery over there.

SUNDAY: play it by ear and enjoy our last day...doing anything we missed or still want to do...snorkeling and swimming at po'ipu?

MONDAY: head home...mentally planning our next visit :)

Mentioned in this post
Secret Beach
Secret Beach
124 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,771 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary input

The best part of your idea is just relaxing. The Hyatt is the perfect place to do this.

Secret Beach is not that easy to get to if you have a mobility issue. Perhaps you would like to go to Anini Beach. The Lighthouse will be a fine walk and of course the views are beautiful. Anini is just up the road a bit. Also a photo op is near the St Regis Hotel, the Hanalei Lookout, and the town of Hanalei. I think visiting the canyon is a must do.

What restaurant are you going to for your anniversary? If you are looking for a sunset view then choose Merriman's or Beach House.

Mentioned in this post
Secret Beach
Secret Beach
124 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Anini Beach
Anini Beach
678 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary input

Note that Wailua Falls and Opaeka'a falls only take a few minutes - drive up, park, walk to the railing, ooh/aah and take photos, then get back in the car.

I always confuse Secret Beach and Hideaways, but depending on your foot injury, I'm not sure you'll be able to get to either one. Drive all the way to the end of the road to Ke'e beach - or you may get lucky and find a parking spot at Tunnels.

Of course you'll spend time in Hanalei poking in all the little shops and then spend some time at Hanalei Bay. My favorite N Shore beach is Anini which you can drive right up to so not a lot of walking required. Kilauea is also a cute little town with nice shops. The lighthouse closes at 4 pm.

You could enjoy the sunset with dinner and/or cocktails at the St. Regis, but bring a pocket full of clams... ($$$).

Just to temper your expectations - Glass Beach can be very iffy - some people find piles of glass; I've only ever found a few remarkable pieces. The Chinese cemetary on the hill above the beach is fascinating, though. Polihale is the best place to watch the sunset on the West side - pack a picnic dinner.

Waimea Canyon hike info here: hawaiistateparks.org/parks/brochure_pdfs/hsp… Berry Flat trail is short and easy.

The Beach House restaurant is a nice place to watch the sunset, but you can also watch it from the lawn in front of the restaurant for free.

Mentioned in this post
Secret Beach
Secret Beach
124 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Hanalei Bay
Hanalei Bay
389 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kilauea
Kilauea
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
9,913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary input

On Thursday, when you head north, you might want to check out beaches other than Secret Beach only because it does involve a bit of a hike to get there. Kalihiwai Beach, Anini, and Hanalei Bay have very easy access. I'd drive at least as far as Mediterranean Gourmet, which is a great place to have lunch. You might also want to do a little shopping in Hanalei.

Happy Anniversary!

Mentioned in this post
Secret Beach
Secret Beach
124 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hanalei Bay
Hanalei Bay
389 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary input

Thank you all so much! The foot injury is getting better and I *hope* to be mostly better by then...I can walk on it with a brace and explore (I am on my feet all day most days as it is right now) it is just any "long" hike (more than a mile or so) would be off the to do list. I will keep those beaches on my radar depending on how it is feeling!

I thought that would be the case with glass beach...but I thought it would be cool to check out either way :)

As for anniversary, we planned on watching the sunset on our own and THEN heading to dinner later. I would much rather enjoy the sunset then eat while it is setting! We were considering Beach House (or beach picnic!) for lunch and Tidepools for dinner...

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary input

Aloha!

Just be aware that the hike to/from Secret Beach is steep with lots of roots and rocks. It can also be a bit muddy/slippery in spots.

Mentioned in this post
Secret Beach
Secret Beach
124 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary input

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Remember that there is a free torchlighting ceremony at the Seaview Terrace at the Grand Hyatt on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday nights at 6:30pm - it is hula kahiko (ancient hula) with oli (chant) and pu kane (conch shell blowers) and torchbearers. It lasts from 6:30pm to just about 6:50pm (depending on the hula that is being performed, it changes) The dancing is done on a platform above the waterfall with the ocean in the background - really beautiful! I am the narrator for it and there is also a free keiki hula show following it from 7 to 8pm on Tuesday and Saturday nights - young students from a local halau hula (hula school) perform Hawaiian, Tahitian, Maori dances.

I personally wouldn't recommend Glass Beach to you - it is below the electric plant (directly below) in Port Allen on a rutted dirt road and you can't swim there either - very small indeed.

I'd say venture to Salt Pond County Park in Hanapepe - which is a beautiful, swimmable beach (rock walled to protect it from the surf) with a lifeguard, tidal pools, bathrooms, pavillions and a nice mix of residents and visitors. Easy to get to as well.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Mentioned in this post
Hanapepe
Hanapepe
Kauai, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,078 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary input

Waimea Canyon is a must do even if you don't hike. It's often called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. Nothing else like it in the islands.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary input

While on the North Shore, if you still feel too injured to try the steep paths, I would head further north. If there is no parking at Ke'e or Tunnels, you can park at Ha'ena State Beach and walk along the sand to either one. Tunnels is not very far, and I've not done the walk to Ke'e from there (but I will be doing it later this week- 45 hours to go!)

California
Level Contributor
9,913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary input

I always like to make a stop at Glass Beach if only for a short time, and it's just a short drive from the main road.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
165 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary input

I would enjoy the sunset as you described and offer Plantation Garden as a very romantic and unique place to celebrate your anniversary.