We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunrise/sunset

california
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
sunrise/sunset

Someone mentioned a couple weeks ago, I think it was Martik, that from Poipu Sands you can see the sunrise and from Nihi Kai you get the sunset. What will we get to see from The Villas at Poipu Kai? I know it's not on the ocean but will will see a sliver of ocean from our third story lanai.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sunrise/sunset

I don't have an answer for you (my best guess - you'll see a little bit of both) but I do have Fiddler on the Roof echoing in my brain now... "one season following another/laden with happiness and tears..."

Yes, I did a few too many high school musicals back in the day!

Edited: 07 October 2012, 05:32
alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sunrise/sunset

It is an easy walk through the green belt in one direction to Shipwreck Beach for sunrise and in the other direction to Poipu Beach for sunset.

california
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sunrise/sunset

Easy walk, yes, it's why we chose it. Was wondering FROM the lanai (the resort)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,885 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sunrise/sunset

I've never stayed at the Villas so I cannot answer that. I guess it depends on the location of your unit? The newer units all face the pool and are arranged in a circle. The other two buildings have lanais that might be able to see the sunrise/sunset? But there there will mostly likely be some buildings blocking both the sunrise and sunset. But as laurie12 mentions, it's a close walk in either direction. A lot of folks head down to Brennecke's Beach for the sunset.

california
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sunrise/sunset

We worked with them a lot and were sent pictures thus our final decision to book unit D210 as it has a distant partial (lol) ocean view. Just wondered what I can expect the sun to do from that vantage point.

It's a newer unit facing the pool but has a lanai on the back which is where you can see the ocean.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,170 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sunrise/sunset

A lot will depend on what time of year it is and if the sun is setting or rising over that piece of ocean during that period.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,885 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sunrise/sunset

The lanai probably faces south (or even a little southwest). As shantybob mentions, it will depend on the time of year. In the winter months, the sun will set farther south over the ocean and you can see it set over the water in Poipu. So there is a chance you might be able to see the sunset from your lanai if you are there in the winter. Which building is D210 in?

8. Re: sunrise/sunset

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 19:19