We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still seeking help for Kauai hotel or condo in April

California
Level Contributor
599 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Still seeking help for Kauai hotel or condo in April

Aloha again,

I just read about Deb's wonderful Kauai trip and thought,

"Hanalei Colony Resort sounds just like what we are looking for..." At least I felt that way until I checked prices. At almost $375 per night, it's really over our budget. The photos were gorgeous and Deb's description was wonderful. (Thanks Deb)

Alas, my conundrum continues...

Do you have any suggestions for an awesome condo on the north shore, that's a little less expensive?

Edited: 12 October 2012, 19:18
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still seeking help for Kauai hotel or condo in April

Judy.....check our Sealodge D-9.....it is located in the Princeville area and I believe we are paying around $200 a night from Jan. 17 to 26th. It's small to some.... looks perfect size for the two of us and offers 180 degree views during whale season. The beach below is a bit of a hike and may not be swimmable during January, but it's always watchable!

This next trip will be all about simple pleasures and eating in our condo with the amazing views or small, inexpensive local places. I hope you give this unit a look.... Take care ANC good luck! Deb

California
Level Contributor
599 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still seeking help for Kauai hotel or condo in April

Thank you so very much Deb... I'm going to look now.

I loved all of your trip reports....very well written and I love all the details too. Sure hope Mike is much better today.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,882 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still seeking help for Kauai hotel or condo in April

There are many condos that are less expensive - it just takes time to look. The only condos are in Princeville area - there are many cottages and house rentals in other areas on the northshore. What exactly are you looking for? All the amenities you want? What is your nightly budget? I have never spent over $100 a night for a condo in Kauai, but then you may want something a bit snazzier than I do. :)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Still seeking help for Kauai hotel or condo in April

$375! Is that for an premium oceanfront unit? We've never paid that much. The ocean view units are fabulous and you might be able to negoiate a better rate depending on the time of year. We stayed in building B last summer which was great!

Edited: 12 October 2012, 20:31
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still seeking help for Kauai hotel or condo in April

Except for HCR a condo on the Northshore means Princeville which is nothing like being in Haena.

What is your budget target? If you want to be able to walk right out on to the sand or have a stunning view from your lanai you may have to either pay up a bit or compromise.

California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Still seeking help for Kauai hotel or condo in April

Martik: She is going in April. Personally, I think HCR is overpriced. I would rather stay at Hale Makai.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Still seeking help for Kauai hotel or condo in April

We paid $325 a night and that was stepping way out of the box for us, but our unit truly made us happy. And when Mike wasn't feeling well, it was a nice little refuge from the kids on Maui for him to relax. I like coalminer's suggestion of finding a place much ess expensive.....makes coming back sooner much easier! Deb

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Still seeking help for Kauai hotel or condo in April

You can do really well with a bit of looking - don't worry. Here is a link that is a good example. I don't know your dates, but this will give you a good idea of what can be available.

http://www.vrbo.com/110730

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Still seeking help for Kauai hotel or condo in April

<<I think HCR is overpriced. I would rather stay at Hale Makai>>

They must have increased their prices significantly. We only paid $300/night for an oceanfront unit last June. The ocean view units were only $200/night the previous 3 summers. We still love the property, easy access to the restaurant and coffee shop, BBQs, and newly remodeled pool area. Hale Makai does not have a pool which is a priority for my kids.

California
Level Contributor
599 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Still seeking help for Kauai hotel or condo in April

Hi everyone....

We are going in April... but the dates are flexible. We'll be there for seven nights.

COALMINER - We'd love a great water view and it doesn't have to be ocean front. A good beach is nice, but we'll also be doing lots of sight seeing and visiting other beaches. Most important is comfort and cleanliness ... cleanliness is a very important. A lanai is important for those morning and evening 'sit and relax' moments. After reading posts and recommendations on TA... the north shore seems perfect But .. again, nothing is written in stone at this point. Budget.... I'd like to keep the condo price to about $200 per night before taxes and fees.

I don't know much about Kauai lodging except what I've read on TA, so all of your help is needed and very much appreciated.

MARTIK.... On the HCR site.... Premium Ocean is $415....Ocean Front is now $345. If I include taxes and fees it comes it $391.28 per night. Ocean View is $315 .. incl taxes and fees is $374.25. I'd love to stay there but just too expensive right now.

DEB ... Sealodge looks great too.

Thank you all again and again. With Oahu or the Big Island...it would be so much easier because I know those areas... searching on Kauai is not so much. The good thing is I have time... and the better thing is I have you.

Edited: 12 October 2012, 23:36