We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Booked!

After moving our trip four times, we are heading back to Kauai in January (again) ! We were blessed with pretty good weather and a whale show to die for last year. I know this has been asked before but in case we get a couple of days of rain, please share your top 5 things to do on a really rainy day...we will have kids with us this year :) they are 12 and 13. Thanks everyone!

California
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked!

Take a tour of the Kauai Museum on Rice St.--free docent tours (with admission) Mon-Fri at 10:30am! . Janet does this--I believe on Tuesday (?) We took our grandkids and all of us really enjoyed it.

Another idea, Grove Farm Homestead Museum tours on Mon., Wed., and Thur. --reservations required. www.grovefarm.net

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked!

Good for you! Hey - are your tween and teen boys or girls? Mix? That may help with ideas. :)

California
Level Contributor
37,641 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked!

We went tubing in the rain. It didn't rain the entire time, but it was fun even when it did. Just bring a tshirt or rash guard to keep you a bit warmer.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,376 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked!

Good suggestions above. The movies, shopping - I love swimming in the rain...magical........lots of covered picnic tables like at Kealia or Lydgate.

Good to know you're booked!

3Chihuahuas

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked!

I have one boy, one girl. Thanks for letting me know what day Janet works at the museum...would love to meet her! Is zip lining available or recommended in the rain? I suppose that would depend what kind of "rain" Kauai is having...normal passing showers or the torrential rainof last March, where the only smart thing to do was stay at the hotel...lol. If we wanted quickly to tour Koloa Rum factory can the kids come with or would they have to wait in the gift shop? Thanks for all the suggestions so far... We are hoping we are spoiled with weather like last year where we only had a couple of mornings with some showers. It was only my husband and I last year so it was no big deal. However my former boss decided to visit Kauai last March the week the island had 50 inches of rain and so much flooding...he was not amused. :) I felt bad for him because he has absolutely no desire to ever visit Kauai again, his loss unfortunately.

California
Level Contributor
37,641 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked!

Sure you could zip no matter the weather. You could also ATV in the rain which might be more fun anyway. My kids said the muddier the better.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked!

I was going to add the girl would probably love lots of shopping/wander time . . . no matter what area of the island. My kids were younger when we did the boat trip to Fern grotto - I know, not the most exciting, but it was a rainy day and it was rather pleasant for that kind of a day. But tubing, ATV, etc., sounds good to. The thing I love about Kauai rain is that it is warm - nice difference! Have fun! :)

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked!

Oh yeah...she loves shopping, but my pocketbook suffers :)

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked!

The rum factory is just the tasting room, IIRC - you could also do the train ride around the plantation, though the kids might be bored - it's pretty tame.

California
Level Contributor
37,641 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked!

Koloa Rum Co has two rooms. One is the gift shop and the other the tasting room. They only bring a few people into the tasting room at a time. While hubby did the tasting I walked around the gift shop and grounds, went to the pottery "barn" and hung outside on some tables provided and ate a small piece of my purchased rum cake. That's all the tasting I wanted to do.

How about the cultural center at Coconut Marketplace? That might be a good rainy day activity.

http://kauaiculturalcenter.com/

You could sign up for ukelele lessons, slack key guitar lessons, lei making and learn some Hawaiian history. Then have lunch at TC's followed by Lapperts Ice Cream. That is good rain or shine.