We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter

Sayre, PA
Level Contributor
83 posts
318 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter

We are traveling to Kauai next week and trying to decide between Jack Carter and Blue Hawaiian helicopter tours. Carter is more expensive but boasts more time in the air and yet Blue Hawaiian copters seem cushier. Any insight into picking a company for our first ever helicopter ride? Also, is it worth it to spend more and do the longer ride from Carter? Thanks for any help!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter

It's Harter., and yes, IMHO it's worth the added expense. I think you save by booking online. I like jack Harter.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
669 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter

Doors of with mauna loa helicopters is my first choice.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter

We did Mauna Loa too and LOVED it. Might be more expensive but so worth it having only the 2 of us plus the pilot.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter

Here's a third vote for Mauna Loa doors off! It was the highlight of our trip!

Sayre, PA
Level Contributor
83 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter

I wonder why the Ultimate Kauai Book never mentioned the Mauna Loa company- thanks for the information about them, I'll check them out.

Tulare, California
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter

We did doors off with Mauna Loa last summer and loved it. No sharing ride with strangers and guaranteed window seat.

Kansas
Level Contributor
630 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter

We've planned a trip with Mauna Loa on the 26th of this month.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicopter

I had wondered why it wasn't in the Blue Book either... we found it because of Trip Advisory reviews!! :D

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
80 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Helicopter

Another vote for Muana Loa ( doors off). We stayed in Princeville and it was worth the drive.

alaska
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Helicopter

Jack Harter Heli pilots give great tours. You have the choice of doors on or doors off. Their pilots have tons of experience and they are all FAA Part 135 rated pilots. This is a higher level of certification than the Mauna Loa pilots that fly under Part 91. Also, Part 91 operators can only fly 25 miles from their base of operation, so if the weather is bad, they can't legally go around the west end of Na Pali.