We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter Tour or Boat Tour to see Napali Coast?

Colorado
Level Contributor
250 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter Tour or Boat Tour to see Napali Coast?

we'd like to do one or the other while we're on Kauai for a week Feb 22- Mar 1...ideas?...opinions?...recommendations?...thanks, ana

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,122 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter Tour or Boat Tour to see Napali Coast?

I prefer the helicopter. You get to see much more than on a boat.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter Tour or Boat Tour to see Napali Coast?

Aloha!

I really enjoyed both but personally give the edge to being on the water. The helicopter spends a good amount of time over other parts of the island so your time on the Napali Coast goes pretty fast.

I really liked the perspective of having the cliffs towering over me and it made for better pictures. I was able to get the close blue/green waters in the foreground with blue sky and white clouds in the background. Take a quick look at the Google images for 'Napali Coast' and you'll see what I mean.

Mentioned in this post
Napali Coast Hanalei Tours
Napali Coast Hanalei...
950 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Washington
Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter Tour or Boat Tour to see Napali Coast?

Having done it by Heli and boat, IMO by boat was much more scenic. Took a zodiac tour out of Port Allen, the name escapes me, but we went into a sea cave and had lunch on a remote beach.

Capt Andys was the name

Edited: 30 October 2012, 23:04
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter Tour or Boat Tour to see Napali Coast?

Yep, if your goal is to see the Napali Coast, and the dolphins jumping , and get some killer photos, and have a grand and fun 5 hr ocean cruise, the boats are probably the best bet.

If you want a circle island tour, then as pam said, you cover much more ground and see much more of the island....about 1 hr.

Just your own personal choice.

We did both, when we first visited, and now have 13 Napali Boat Trips, and three helo tours, three fixed wing circle island tours, etc......

Denny

Mentioned in this post
Napali Coast Hanalei...
950 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
80 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter Tour or Boat Tour to see Napali Coast?

I recommend doing both. Same place, but different perspective. We used Capt. Andy's also on the raft and it was great. Rough at times, but great. That comes with the territory however and it wasn't bad enough to warrant not recommending it or doing it again.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter Tour or Boat Tour to see Napali Coast?

Seems to me the last week of February could be a rough time to be on the water and have a potentially limited view. Others with winter experience may disagree.

alberta
Level Contributor
233 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter Tour or Boat Tour to see Napali Coast?

We did both and they were both great. If I could only do one, I'd do the boat tour (if water conditions permit). The view is outstanding from a helicopter, but you are only over the Napali Coast for a very short time. However you do see lots of other incredible scenery too such as Waimea Canyon.

With a boat tour, the morning ones tend to be about 5 hours and if conditions are good, you see absolutely stunning scenery for quite a long time. As a previous poster said, when you're in the sun and the dolphins are swimming with the boat, etc. it is incredible.

Mentioned in this post
Napali Coast Hanalei...
950 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,837 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicopter Tour or Boat Tour to see Napali Coast?

Both!, for reasons stated above but if I could only choose one, yikes this is hard...boat if the seas are cooperating. If they are not, then definitely a doors off helicopter ride.

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Helicopter Tour or Boat Tour to see Napali Coast?

Where do you take this tour? We will be there for one day during our cruise stop on Nov 26

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Helicopter Tour or Boat Tour to see Napali Coast?

My opinion....... the better experiences are those that engage all of the senses and the boat cruises of the Napali does just that.

Seeing the towering cliffs looming right before you isn't all you get. You get the sounds of the ocean and the wind, the smells of th eocean and the feel of the moist salty air and possible sprinkles on you.

Compare this to the quick flyover of the Napali with the sound of the rotor blades and possible fuel smells.

If you can handle doing both of them that might be a good plan. With the helicopter tour you'll circle the entire island.

Also, I've taken Napali tours in the winter months and never had a problem or a cancellation. The morning tour will give calmer waters.

Edited: 02 November 2012, 03:30