We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report Sept 14-22 2012

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
940 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
trip report Sept 14-22 2012

SORRY THIS TRIP REPORT IS LATE, BEEN BUSY SINCE COMING BACK FROM THE ISLAND, SADLY IT WILL BE OUR LAST TIME FOR QUITE A WHILE, THERE ARE TOO MANY OTHER PLACES TO VISIT AND WE WANT TO GET TO IRELAND SOON SO WHERE TO START,I WONT BORE YOU WITH ALL THE DETAILS MAYBE JUST THE HIGHLIGHTS OF OUR DAYS. FIRST DAY WE ARRIVED AT 12:30 AND WERE OFF TO RENT THE CAR AT BUDGET, GREAT SERVICE, FAST AND PROFESSIONAL. WE GOT INTO OUR RED MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE AND HEADED TOWARD THE NORTH SHORE, WE STOPPED OFF AT FOODLAND IN PRINCEVILLE PRIOR TO GETTING TO OUR CONDO AT SEALODGE D9 TO HAVE A DRINK ON THE LANAI BEFORE HEADING TO THE MAKANA TERRACE AT THE ST REGIS TO HAVE DRINKS AND DINNER, THE MAKANA WAS FABULOUS AS YOU WILL SEE FROM THE PICTURES, GREAT SERVICE AND THE FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING.

DAY 1

UP EARLY TO HEAD INTO KAPAA FOR DINNER AT THE ONO FAMILY RESTAURANT, IF YOU HAVE NOT EATEN HERE YOU HAVE TO TRY IT, WE HAD THE WITH BANANA MAC PANCAKES CAN YOU SAY YUM

THEN IT WAS OFF TO THE KAUAI PHOTO TOUR, I WILL REVIEW THEM ON TRIP ADVISOR AS WELL BUT I ALSO RECOMMEND THIS, IF YOU WANT TO GET PICTURES YOU PROBABLY WON’T SPEND THE TIME TO SCOPE OUT, PAY THE $$ AND HAVE SOMEONE TAKE YOU, WE HAD A REALLY FUN TIME WITH THE OTHER CUSTOMERS AS WELL AS SAW MANY PLACES I WOULDN’T HAVE GONE, WE EVEN GOT OUR CHRISTMAS PICTURE ON Moloa'a Beach if you decide to take the photo tour take it early in your stay this way you can return to a place you might want to return to.

Day 2

We were up early and off to the south side of the Island to hike the Mahaulepu trail, but first a stop a Joe’s on the green for breakfast, took a while to get coffee but other than that the food was very good and prices are fair, I had bacon and eggs, the wife had moco loco, we were treated to a short morning shower and then a rainbow that ended right on the green not sure what hole it is, but a beautiful picture, the Mahaulepu is beautiful and well worth the time it takes to walk walk it, we spent 3 hrs on the hike and never got to the end, took a lot of time just enjoying the scenery and coast, beware there are areas of the trail that get a little narrow, we then headed to spouting horn for the wife to buy a bracelet she had been wanting, I got more pictures of the horn and a couple Honu hanging out near the rocks.

Day 3

Up early again and off to the southside of the Island for the http://www.kauaiatv.com/ what a fantastic time we had, we did the Kipu ATV last yr and this yr tried the Mud Tour, during the weeks we stayed the Kipu ride was really dusty and no mud, this time, we got sun, rain, mud and a beautiful waterfall in the jungle, my choice hands down is this tour, they didn’t try to hard sell us anything, they do take photos of you and give you a web address to look at them and purchase if you like, but no hard sell, I took a waterproof camera and as you will see from my photo album we got some nice shots during the ride and at lunch at the falls.

Day 4

Napali catamaran http://www.napalicatamaran.com/ what can you say? This was a trip that I would do every yr I was on the Island if we were coming back lol, We went into several sea caves one with a waterfall on the inside, one that had the most beautiful blue water I have ever seen in my life, the top of the cave has fallen in and the sun coming in bouncing off the wall give it the beautiful color, we saw Spinner dolphins as you will see in the photo album, Honu and when we snorkeled a ton of fish, I guess we were lucky because most people say the snorkeling is just ok, I would have stayed all day given the choice. The ride back was FANTASTIC, If you don’t like getting water sprayed into your face and the excitement of going over the wakes, then this is not the trip for you, we had a blast I didn’t want it to end, No one got sick which was a plus.

Day 5

Limahula National Botanical Gardens, http://ntbg.org/gardens/limahuli.php

Very nice way to spend several Hrs walking thru the gardens and reading about the flora and Fauna, the terraced gardens and the river running thru the gardens are so relaxing, its just a beautiful place to stop and smell the roses as they say on the mainland, then it was off to Anini to snorkel and relax. Saw schools of fish and several eels while snorkeling Anini, No parking issues, we almost to the end of the road and parked right next to the beach, we walked maybe 10 feet and set our stuff down on the beach, no crowds and very few people, water was crystal clear. Then it was off to Tidepools for dinner, This place is not cheap, but OMG what a fantastic beautiful restaurant, the waiter we had was spot on and the food was outstanding!!! The grounds at the hotel let you know you are in Hawaii, If you are looking for Romance this is one place to look, http://www.grandhyattkauai.com/restaurants

Day6

Spent the day exploring the Island, driving around top down on the convertible mustang, Went to the Kauai coffee company to pick up some coffee and do the free tastings, headed over to eat lunch at Ishihara in Waimea they have the best Poke, mac and rice on the Island, then we had to visit the new Jojo’s now located at Panako Rd and Waimea rd, across from the park. Just as good as ever and so many selections, Dinner that evening was at the Kauai grill and because of a review I gave on their facebook page we were treated to a round of free drinks and a window seat for the sunset viewing you cant reserve the window seats you can only ask and hope you get one, Service was spot on, the General manager was as friendly as one could hope for lots of Aloha here and the food was delicious, If you’re on the north shore and want romance this is the place.

Day 7

Packed up and Sadly headed to the Airport to return home to reality, Long line at security but it went smooth, smooth sailing home on AA, Sadly as I said we wont be back soon.

hope this link works Pictures of Our Trip Hope you enjoy

Aloha

Rob

https:/…

Waipo’o Falls
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails, Waterfalls
Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
940 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report Sept 14-22 2012

Sorry for the caps I tried to Edit but ran out of time

California
Level Contributor
734 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report Sept 14-22 2012

Hey Rob....Thanks so much for the awesome photos... they are WONDERFUL!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report Sept 14-22 2012

Sounds like a lovely trip!! Love the photos too. Must get to Kauai one day!!!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report Sept 14-22 2012

Fantastic shots of the small Episcopal church built out of stone. I've always admired the architecture and everything about that church. I believe it's right at Kilauea turnoff, right? Looks like paintings

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
940 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report Sept 14-22 2012

Napaguy, yes that's where it is located, these are HDR photo's and I knew before I even went this time I wanted these shots of that church

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report Sept 14-22 2012

Thanks, Robert. The high definition resolution makes them the best shots of that church I've ever seen.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
940 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report Sept 14-22 2012

Napaguy, thank you... HDR stands for High Dynamic Range :-)

California
Level Contributor
39,594 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report Sept 14-22 2012

Rob, Great photos!!! You know that one big waterfall you took a few pix of? Dry as a bone last week even after a rainy night on Monday. I have never seen it like that.

You had pancakes for DINNER at Ono? You must be related to pzp!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report Sept 14-22 2012

It had to be breakfast, Jebett - Ono closes early afternoon....but still not a bad idea if you can!

They are great pics, Rob - thank you!

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
940 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report Sept 14-22 2012

jebett, No it was breakfast, I tried to edit it but ran out of time :-) but if I could have them for Diner I just might have, thank you for the compliments

Mezzsop thank you for the compliment as well