We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A word of warning re: Alamo Insiders & additional driver

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,792 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
A word of warning re: Alamo Insiders & additional driver

I have long been an advocate of Alamo, unfortunately I will not longer recommend them without a word of warning.

I am an Alamo Insiders member and always log in to check rates. One of the perks of Alamo Insiders is an additional driver free. Alamo has a Hot Deal – 15% off Sunny Destinations available in CA, FL, HI, Las Vegas and Phoenix. For 15 days economy car, it came up at estimated total of $287.06, so I booked it. The reservation lists my Alamo Insiders #

At the Alamo kiosk, when I added Skip (my hubby) as the additional driver (he’s set up on my profile with Alamo too with all his info), it pops up at $12.99 per day additional fee. I tried twice and gave up to go stand in line. Took about 15 minutes to get to the counter. I told the girl the problem, she pulls up the reservation and tells me the same thing - $12.99 per day extra. I tell her I’m Alamo Insiders, even the number is printed on my reservation. She goes to get a manager. Manager also tells me no free extra driver even a spouse because the Sunny Destinations is a promo and can’t be combined with my Insiders perk of a free driver. Very deceptive. The reservation needs to have Alamo Insiders listed as Contract ID to get the free driver, my Contract ID was Sun Promo however my Insiders member # is listed below my name. What a bunch of BS JUNK!

Thankfully I had not cancelled my Discount Hawaii Car Rental (free spouse driver) reservation with Enterprise, $283.75. Enterprise was a JOY to work with…no problem with Skip as the extra driver, upgraded us to a Chevy Malibu (leather seats), nice car at no charge…no pressure to up-sell us anything!

NOTE: Enterprise lot is off-airport about a mile on Haoa St off Kapule Hwy. However, there is a booth just across from baggage claim where you do your paperwork. Only one guy at the counter, but I was next in line. They also put a 20% over your rental total hold on the cc until the car is returned (other rentals may do this, but it’s the first time I’ve been told, no biggie). Paperwork done, take the shuttle over to the lot, give them your name and they take you out to your car. You & the agent go over the car, notate the dings, etc and done!

3Chihuahuas

San Diego...
Level Contributor
48 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A word of warning re: Alamo Insiders & additional driver

What a bummer. I'm a loyal Alamo Insider, so I'm disappointed to hear this! I had a jeep reservation with Alamo, using the Sun promo for my upcoming trip to Kauai (Dec 14). It stated on my reservation that I also had a free additional driver.

I suppose I lucked out this time, as I cx'd my reservation after I realized I can get the same jeep, with free 2nd driver, with Alamo....but used Discount Hawaiian Car Rentals. My total will be $140 less than what I was going to be going directly through Alamo.

Are you going to email Alamo's higher ups to make them aware? I never saw a fine print about any issues with Sun Promo.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,792 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A word of warning re: Alamo Insiders & additional driver

I will definitely email Alamo corporate regarding this though I know it'll be like talking to a rock! My resv did not have Additional Driver listed so I should have double-checked. I just can't get over the fact my number is on the reservation, but I get nothing for it....

>>Contract I.D. Sun Promotion

Guaranteed Base Rate Included

Unlimited Miles Included<<

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A word of warning re: Alamo Insiders & additional driver

In this case you are lucky you didn't cancel your Enterprise reservation even though we beg people not to double book. I bet there is something deep down in the Insider that says "cannot be combined with other discounts". Teeny tiny print only able to be read by menehunes most likely.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A word of warning re: Alamo Insiders & additional driver

3chis, good that you still had the Enterprise rez. I've made comments about folks having multiple reservations but to be honest there have been a couple of times I've gone to Kauai with 2 reservations in hand only because there was something "off" about the primary reservation that either looked too good to be true or there was something about the reservation that I didn't trust. In those cases I DID have a backup with me but I called and cancelled the 2nd car from the airport. I have more of a problem when people have many reservations, both car and condo.

So in your case it's good you had that back-up. I can completely understand how one would think that the free 2nd driver that comes with the Insiders program means that is a standard that would apply automatically and not necessarily be considered a special deal.

Edited: 11 November 2012, 02:20
Dallas
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A word of warning re: Alamo Insiders & additional driver

Alamo Insiders do get the additional driver for no charge. I went through this as well and it is on the initial estimated charges but Alamo does not charge you when you pay. Call Alamo up an they will explain.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,792 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A word of warning re: Alamo Insiders & additional driver

>>>Alamo Insiders do get the additional driver for no charge.<<<

ssnow - re-read my posts as this is exactly what I thought too. I was told NO.

I've emailed Alamo and am awaiting a response. I want that response in writing. As far as I'm concerned the Insiders Program is total junk.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A word of warning re: Alamo Insiders & additional driver

Here's a question, if you use your own car insurance from home what difference would it make if it was you or your spouse driving during an accident? Either way your insurance is going to cover it. What's to stop someone from doing this? I've always thought about asking my insurance carrier this question. I don't think the Police Dept. taking the report would care one way or the other as long as you had insurance. Any insurance people out there?

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
964 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A word of warning re: Alamo Insiders & additional driver

Got messed over by Alamo 8 or so years ago (they ran out of cars), and if I hadn't reserved with DHCR as a backup, it would have been a long walk to Princeville. Now they are the only company I use, and I have never had a problem with them (once we had a really late arrival, and the Thrifty kiosk had closed early, but it was no fault of DHCR). Price is always competitive, sometimes a buck or 2 more per day, sometimes less, but the peace of mind is worth it in the long run.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A word of warning re: Alamo Insiders & additional driver

I booked 7 days down in Orlando in July with my Insiders Card and my wife was on the Rental Agreement as an additional driver for no charge I also just made a reservation for 3 days in Denver for the a long weekend and my reservation has " (1) Additional Driver - Included". I always find that Alamo has the best rates when using my Insiders Log in and Password on the internet site I also use my Entertainment Book discounts. My rate for 3 days in Denver 12/1 - 12/4 is only $21.58 which includes all tax and surcharges.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A word of warning re: Alamo Insiders & additional driver

BKnox, I'm sure you already know that Discount Hawaii Car Rental doesn't have it's own fleet of cars and are simply a booking agent for some of the major companies. So even if you book through them and they place you with Alamo you can still arrive at the Alamo counter and find out they've run out of cars (which Alamo seems to have a tendency to do). Booking via DHCR gives one no special treatment on that issue.

Despite that I also prefer to deal with DHCR for many reasons, not just price.