We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ka `Ulu O Laka Hula Platform

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ka `Ulu O Laka Hula Platform

Can anyone post some good links regarding the Hula Platform (Ka `Ulu O Laka) near Ke`e? My halau is making a special trip there this summer and I'd like to learn/read more about it before our trip :-) Mahalo plenty!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ka `Ulu O Laka Hula Platform

check out this link

http://www.kaimi.org/heiau.htm

Also when I was on this Hula Platform

I could NOT get anything by putting in the whole phrase

my luck in finding the above link and others was

when I just put in `Ulu O Laka

Good Luck in your search and pilgrimage origins of Hula

I hear Moloka`i claims it started Hula. Not sure of that data...

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ka `Ulu O Laka Hula Platform

Mahalo nui loa for your help. I also meant to ask for any book recommendations that might also be good for learning about this historic site. I appreciate all the info you can give me :-) Aloha!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ka `Ulu O Laka Hula Platform

Hi Pono,

I read your post while I was on Kauai. I checked at Borders Books, which has the largest selection of Hawaiiana books for sale on the island, but only found one book that even mentions the hula platform. I bought it, but not for that reason. It didn't say anything that you wouldn't already know about it.

So then I went to the Kapaa Library and checked their Hawaiiana section. I didn't see any books dedicated strictly to the hula platform, nor any that even mentioned it. It could be that if there are any such books they were checked out or at another branch. I didn't get into the system to check.

Unfortunately I didn't see your post unitl my last day on the island - too little time. But as a fellow hula enthusiast, I'll look again in June when I go back to Kauai and also ask around to some folks I know who have one ear in the history and one ear in the future.

One place I did not check is the Tin Can Mailman - at the Kinipopo Shopping Village in Wailua. He has all kinds of rare books and might something written about the Ka'ulu O Laka hula platform. I'll check there next month, as I do pop in from time to time to see his treasures. You might want to give him a call at 808 822 3009 to see if he has anything he could set aside for you or maybe do a mail purchase.