We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
first timer

We will be visiting Kawai for the first time the end of Jan. Yes we have resort, flight and car rental booked. This will be our first time in Hawaii, 40th wedding anniversary. we will also be going to Oahu, for three days, manily to see Pearl Harbour. I know everybody asks this but any advise for first timers?

California
Level Contributor
9,458 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timer

Get a copy of The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. I still take mine with me every trip.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timer

yep - I agree . . . read up with that and then come hang out here on the Kauai forum - very friendly bunch. Also, tell us what type of actvities you enjoy, where you are staying, etc . . . that would better assist us in helping you. For example, I would recommend attending a luau since it is your first trip to Hawaii, but some folks hate them, so that is why it is good to list the types of activities you enjoy first. Congrats on your anniversary! :)

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timer

We bought the Ultimate Kauai Handbook, but my best advice is to stay on this forum. These TA's will deluge you with expert advise, tons of enthusiasm, and share their knowledge and experiences.

We knew so much before we were newbies a year ago, thanks to this forum. Get the handbook, but we learned so much more from this forum. Maybe the Handbook people spent some time here too.

You are going to love it in Kauai. Explore, enjoy, eat, find the beaches and the trails, and don't stop asking questions here on line or from shop and restauranteurs. Every one will help you if you ask.

Edited: 28 November 2012, 21:52
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,624 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first timer

Any advice for first timers, you ask? Everything you might need to know is most likely already here on this forum. Begin reading it and specifically look at the Top Questions on the right side of this page. Looks through all of the threads already here. Questions asked and answered here can be for anyone, including first timers

Edited: 28 November 2012, 22:45
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,893 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timer

Start reading this forum and the Oahu Forum.

California
Level Contributor
36,095 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timer

To the right of your question is top questions. Read them all. Go back a few pages on the forum and read some trip reports. Make a folder of all the ones you liked. Google will become your friend.

USA
Level Contributor
389 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timer

I agree - get a guide book and visit this forum often. But I would also suggest that you try to NOT book every single moment. Don't plan your stay in such detail that you miss the aloha of Kauai. I think the best times we've had over our nearly 20 years of visits are the spontaneous ones, and the unplanned quiet walks along the beach. I love helo tours and other planned outings but for me the best part of Hawaii, no matter which island, is the peaceful quiet beauty of the place. Watching the rain from an oceanfront room doesn't bother me at all so I don't stress out about the weather. It's a lovely gentle place - my favorite on earth.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timer

Try to be flexible on sightseeing. If you are a planner, you may want to pick sights in a certain area that you want to see but the weather may mean doing that on a different day. Relax. You may want to have some activities planned and scheduled, like a luau or a helicopter/ airplane or boat tour. Plan on spending some time in the morning over coffee on your lanai talking about the day and at night back on the lanai, with some libation, just being together.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,619 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first timer

I only found the Hawaii forums a year and a half ago. It's amazing how much the information and advice from these forum posters have improved our vacations to Hawaii. And when I discovered trip reports....I probably spent a month alone reading reports going back years! Such wonderful writing and the knowledge I got from reading how others spent their time on the islands I love was priceless.

I would suggest you put trip reports in the search box and read them. And then as you get a better idea of what you'd like to do....make a list of those activities and places you want to visit. I prefer a flexible game plan to a rigid vacation schedule.

We will be on Kauai in 49 days and I now have a list of restaurants and beaches and tips on how to find them. Next I will make a mini list of hikes and shops and get it typed up in a simple list to bring. No major itineraries....just ideas. Have fun planning your trip. Deb

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first timer

We are staying at the Wyndham resort on the north side of the island. Already ordered the Ultimate Kauai guide book. Looking to do a Helicopter trip, would realy like to get over to the Big Island to see the Volcanes. don't know if that is possible.Thanks for the advise, We will keep an I on this forum.