We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of 2 full days - Trip report

Singapore
Level Contributor
115 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
End of 2 full days - Trip report

I came in on Friday late noon, so I guess that should not count towards a 'full day' . I shall start from sat ...

Sat : drove up to north shore . Along the way, we stopped at 2 Christmas craft fairs and other shopping areas that looked interesting. Explored the north shore but ran out of time to do a hike (had planned on at least one but , ah well!) .. Made our way back to condo down south but got distracted with yet another fair in kapaa! Dinner was excellent too! Stopped by Safeway for groceries before we took the drive back .. Exhausted but happy .

Sunday : na Pali coast !!! It rained the night before up to early am before we were due to drive to Port Allen. The skies were overcast abt 3/4 of the time but it felt great out at sea and checking out the coast. The sun finally made an appearance when we turned back to Port Allen. Nonetheless, i was most happy to have the sun. No whale sightings, abt 5 dolphins made an appearance .. They said it cld be due to the rain fm last night. Lunch was really good - we had the vege burger. Left Port Allen to suss out kauai coffee, then to Spouting Horn (more shopping with vendors there!) before geading to marriot to catch the sunset . Pity the sun was blocked by clouds, so no lovely sunset oils but oh what beautiful grounds marriot has ! Pika veggie for dinner at poipu - awesome!!

Tomorrow - I planned for waimea canyon and allerton garden. Can anyone suggest a lovely trail but fairly easy trail at the canyon? My friend is not really into hiking but I convinced her to at least do one here.... Suggestions anyone? Thanks !!

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: End of 2 full days - Trip report

The easiest is Pihea trail along the rim of the Kalalau valley, starting at the 2nd Kalalau lookout. It does go down a bit at first, but then it's flat.

2nd easiest and literally at the head of Waimea canyon is the Cliff-Canyon trail. Starts down the dirt road just uphill from the 2nd Canyon lookout (Puu Hinahina). Mostly flat and has several great views into the canyon.

Also worth a stop is the Iliau Nature loop near the 8 mile-marker. It offers some different views of the canyon, and you could go down the Kukui trail right there to get into the canyon. Just go as far as you want to get some views, then turn around and hike back out. It goes down about 1000 feet per mile, so don't go too far unless you're prepared to hike back up.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of 2 full days - Trip report

Sounds like a fantastic short but sweet trip...have a great time hiking tomorrow!!

California
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of 2 full days - Trip report

Sounds like you're having fun! Where did you have dinner Sat.?

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
919 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: End of 2 full days - Trip report

Even with no Sun Kauai is Beautiful no?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: End of 2 full days - Trip report

I sure hope so...I am worried about weather. I knew if from the beginning of our planning...but my husband said it would be fine. I don't know!

Singapore
Level Contributor
115 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: End of 2 full days - Trip report

Sat night dinner was at Puka Dog at Poipu Village. We had the veggie dog , topped with their tropical relish - awesome! Best veggie dog I've ever had.

Yes, even with no sun, Kauai Is beautiful. People are friendly and helpful .. Motorists are not impatient (we r more cautious of speed limits plus driving on 'other side' of road) - we've not been horned at big time, even when for that one or two occasions we were literally driving ON the wrong lane!

It's raining as we speak. Praying hard it clear by the time we are ready to head out.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: End of 2 full days - Trip report

It's considered pretty rude to honk your horn here. You rarely hear it.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: End of 2 full days - Trip report

Pihea is relatively easy, popular, and sports incredible Na Pali Coast views when the clouds clear. It's kind of magical when it's socked in. Then the clouds part, the heavens shine, and WOW! We saw a double rainbow. The trail starts at the end of the road lookout.

Don't be scared by the first downhill section. It's very wide. Suggest staying on the left edge, avoiding the center rutted out muddy/rocky/slippery section. Then it's flat from there. Stop when you get to the half way lookout if you don't think you can negotiate the steeper slippery muddy rock part later. No trail map needed. Just your camera.

Aloha,

SeaBass

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,029 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: End of 2 full days - Trip report

Glad you are enjoying Kauai. Hope you have sunny days ahead.

Singapore
Level Contributor
115 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: End of 2 full days - Trip report

We had to abandon the canyon this morning - way too misty/cloudy and it was raining even after driving abt 1/4 way up. We decided to check out some shops, found a real treasure trove at the Hawaiian trading post! Great deals on jewelry !

Proceeded to Allerton Garden guided tour - got eaten alive by ,mozzies even though I've applied and re-applied repellent. My friend did not get a single bite while I walked out with at least 20 all over legs and arms. Can't help it, I'm sweet. :)

Checked out koloa old town, had some fish tacos at one of the vans, picked up *more* soaps/lotions/potions,, then some fish at koloa fish market + groceries. .. Did a spot of sunset viewing just outside The Beach House - wonderful way to end a day .. Then it's back to condo for simple dinner of Stir-fried medley of veg, egg omelette with mushrooms and fish(I cooked, my friend cleaned up). So stuffed now I can't move.

Life is good . :)