We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just curious...

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Just curious...

Can anyone please give me your take on why the Andrew Doughty book, Ultimate Kauai Guidebook is highly recommended on this forum, while his books, Maui Revealed and Big Island Revealed, are so "reviled" on those forums and islands?

I am just curious..

San Diego...
Level Contributor
48 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just curious...

I used, and thought, that Big Island was a fabulous resource book. I can't speak for others, but I am glad I purchased it.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just curious...

What I am asking is, why do the Kauai folks on these forums not have the same negative experiences with these guide books? I am talking about a perception that the books encourage people to break rules, do dangerous things, even trespass and generally do not respect local culture and ways. Is the Kauai book different, is Kauai different, is it just the particular people on the different forums? If you are familiar with these issues, what is your opinion?

Edited: 03 December 2012, 17:19
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just curious...

Teri, not everyone on this forum is happy with the Kauai version of this guidebook. The subject has just been beaten to death and discussed for so long that the Kauai forum doesn't get it into it too much these days. It's been a very hot topic when places like Queen's Bath or Kipu Falls come up. Kipu Falls was closed to the public so that care of a lot of the discussion. But no, it's not as highly revered on this forum as you might think. About the most you'll hear now is it's a great book for basic information but take their comments about trespassing with a grain of salt.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just curious...

Thank you Napaguy. Guess I should've done a search. Didn't mean to beat a dead horse. Ohhhh.. what an awful saying...would never beat any horse...or any animal... well unless you consider an egg an animal.....

OK, sounds like we should just drop the subject!

As Emily Litella says, "never mind."

Aloha

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just curious...

The UKG has some of the best maps of the island, which is why I recommend it generally. However, for outdoor enthusiasts I like Kauai Trailblazer by Sprout (but the maps are utterly useless) and for families, Kauai Underground by Horowitz has excellent kid-friendly suggestions.

I have heard that Doughty tempered a lot of his comments on trespassing in the new editions, but I haven't picked up a copy myself.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Just curious...

Teri, my favorite guidebook for Kauai is the KUG (Kauai Underground Guide). It lacks the great maps of the UKG but other than I prefer it. I recently saw it ranked higher than the UKG somewhere, can't remember where I saw that. Here is the link...

http://www.explorekauai.com/

The great thing about it is the proceeds for the book go towards helping needy kids on Kauai. That alone is enough reason to buy it.

Also, it comes with a free CD of some music of Keali'i Reichel.

California
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just curious...

Sometimes you don't throw the baby out of the dirty bathwater. There are good and bad things about his book. BlueF is right. With some pressure UKG has changed thier tune about certain activities like warning about Queen's Bath and hiking on private property. No book is perfect. The Kauai forum contributors are just a nicer bunch. :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just curious...

I think that overall the Kauai is the most upbeat and truly kind forum I frequent - and that includes not bashing the UKG book for the most part. I am with Blueflamingo - the maps are excellent as well as much of the general info on Hawaii - many travel books aren't as complete in that regard. I think you just need to add your common sense and respect. :) I think as well that the frequent posters on the Kauai forum also recommend other books that help out that particular poster. :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just curious...

okay Jebett - you type faster than me! Glad you said that too - they are a nice bunch of people! :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,838 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just curious...

I have them all. I use them. When I talk with others about them, I underscore the issues of safety, public property and such.

I imagine that the authors' lawyers "encouraged" them to clean up their act. But still - there are old editions afloat.

As much as the Revealed books are "reviled," we all use their aerials ...

(I wondered the same thing, Teri. I just didn't have the guts to ask!) Thank you.)