We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report day 3

Issaquah...
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report day 3

We took the movie tour from Roberts (I can almost hear the groans). But I have to say that this was a fun trip. Part of the reason was there were only 3 of us tourists, so there was a lot of flexibility. Plus it was a great way to see areas we had not yet seen. My favorite spots were Moloaa beach, Kilauea lighthouse and Hanalei.

The movie aspect was interesting but really secondary to the beaches and points of interests we saw. It is pretty amazing how Hollywood can take a very small chunk of landscape and transform it into an amazing sequence of film.

We will definitely be going back to the north shore. We totally fell in love with Hanalei.

We stopped at the spouting horn on the way to Hanapepe art night. There was plenty of action at the spouting horn and I even managed a video clip.

Hanapepe is a quaint little town with lots of what I call "flavor". Now in terms of the actual art, it was a very small venue. I would imagine that high tourist season would bring out more vendors, but it was still a lot of fun.

The absolute best part of this was having Uncle Louie sit with us (apparently we were sitting in his usual space). What a treat this was for us. He sang us a couple of songs, exchanged some not so great jokes, but the best was listening to this living piece of history. Uncle Louie told us about his 43 years in the sugar industry, Salt Pond, watching the Japenese plans fly over on their way to Pearl Harbor, how one plan crash landed on Niihau. This is an amazing 95 years young man. It was a true pleasure to spend some time with him.

To end th evening, we went to Keoki's for dinner. Good food, fun atmosphere and a place where everyone should try at least one,

I woke up this morning to what looks like a glorious start to another day. Maybe the canyon?

Stay tuned and forgive my spelling errors...

California
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report day 3

Lucky you to meet Uncle Louis--something I hope to do someday. You might be interested in two of the books written about the plane crash on Niihau.

"The Niihau Incident" by Allan Beekman and "East Wind, Rain" by Caroline Paul.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report day 3

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Glad to hear that Uncle Louie is still making it out to Salt Pond - he is amazing and someone that you can learn living history from when he "talks story" with you.

He also sometimes goes to the Hanapepe Friday Nite Art Nite as well.

In regards to the "Battle of Ni'ihau" - the book mentioned by Carolyn Paul has been acquired by a filmmaker who is hoping to make a film about it - he has even been to the island of Ni'ihau with Keith Robinson - I'm hoping that he is able to make it, because it is such a very dramatic event that very, very few people actually know about.

Great, historical fiction book as well if you want to read about it - the Allan Beekman book is good as well. These are the only two books written about it amazingly enough.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report day 3

Thanks for the trip report....very interesting to be lucky enough to share stories with folks like Louie. We are looking forward to checking out both Hanapepe and Keoki 's in January. Have fun! Deb

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report day 3

Thanks for the trip report... looking forward to the next instalment.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report day 3

Thanks for the trip report - I love reading these - and now that we are only 3 months out, I'm getting more excited to read about our favourite places - Salt Pond, Keokis - can't wait.

California
Level Contributor
36,384 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report day 3

<<We will definitely be going back to the north shore. We totally fell in love with Hanalei.>>

Love this... Isn't it just the neatest place??

I remember sitting down with my husband's Grandmother and her telling us about doing hanging her laundry outside her home in Kapaa when the planes came over. How lucky you got to hear those stories too. Kauai is all about the people you meet and the stories you are told. You hit the jackpot!

7. Re: Trip report day 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 01:16