We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuaui in 4 days! Tips for Winter visits/easier hikes?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
83 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kuaui in 4 days! Tips for Winter visits/easier hikes?

We are headed to Kauai this Friday for the first time, two young (late 20s early 30s) couples, one older couple (upper 50s) + a one year old. We're staying at the Grand Hyatt. We're fairly active, but do have a one year old in tow, any suggested hikes that might be accessible to us in December? We are renting a car so will have a decent amount of flexibility there.

Also, any last minute tips, anything we should know about traveling there particularly in December? Closures, tips, anything exciting this time of year? Must eat at restaurants? Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
37,453 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuaui in 4 days! Tips for Winter visits/easier hikes?

Check the top questions to the right. There is an entire section on hiking and one with hikes with kids.

Here is the one I think you want to read:

tripadvisor.com/…31998575

You have one of the most beautiful spots on the island really close to your hotel.

Mahaulepu is where I would go!

The other I would do is along the Coconut Coast on the East side. Maybe rent bikes? That might be fun for everyone.

As far as tips, I did get an email that on the North Shore, there is a lane closure near Lumahai so it might be a bit slow up there for a week or so.

Have fun!

Edited: 11 December 2012, 22:13
Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
679 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuaui in 4 days! Tips for Winter visits/easier hikes?

The Makawehi Lithified Cliffs are any easy and great hike (South Shore). The trail head starts near/at shipwrecks beach. Have fun.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60625-d11…

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,057 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuaui in 4 days! Tips for Winter visits/easier hikes?

You might want to bring a light jacket or sweater. It's rather cool (for us) today, and very breezy. If this continues it's likely to be cold up at Koke`e at the top of Waimea Canyon. Po`ipu will be fine.

4. Re: Kuaui in 4 days! Tips for Winter visits/easier hikes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 09:16