We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai-First trip,what area is recommended?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
8 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai-First trip,what area is recommended?

We are planning our first trip to the island of Kauai. I have done a lot of looking and can't decide if we should stay in Poipu or Princeville area. I was looking at Anini Beach and that looked great. We usually always do vacation rental, not hotel, always get a rental car and are not big on the touristy stuff. My concern with Princeville, Anini,Hanalei, etc is the weather. We were in Maui last March for the major rain and want to see at least some sun this time! Any suggestions are welcome.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,508 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai-First trip,what area is recommended?

When will you be traveling? That's a key issue. Have you set a budget? How many people? Sounds like you prefer a condo or house, yes?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai-First trip,what area is recommended?

Go to the Top Questions About Kauai on the right side of the main Kauai forum page. The 4th question down is what side of the island to stay on. Click on that and you'll get a listing of past threads that discussed this very question you're asking.

California
Level Contributor
36,040 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai-First trip,what area is recommended?

It really depends on the time of year. If you don't like "touristy" the North Shore would suit you better, but in the winter you would get more sun in Poipu. I love Anini Beach area. I like the homes down further from the main beach. Serenity Rentals has good homes to rent. If you are planning on coming spring-Fall, I would prefer Hanalei.

Last March Kauai got those terrible rains too. I feel your pain!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai-First trip,what area is recommended?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

It depends a lot on what time of year you are planning on coming - because both Princeville and Po'ipu are going to be pretty similar in terms of "touristy" since they are both VDA (visitor destination areas).

A great deal depends on you and what your preferences are - during the rainy months (winter and early spring) - your chances of wet weather are increased on the North Shore - the South Shore is the tradtitionally "sunny side" of the island and doesn't get as much rainfall as the North Shore - that isn't to say that rain is unknown here on the South Shore however!

You will find a strong preferences here on the Kaua'i forum with South Shore vs. North Shore - but really - every part of Kaua'i is beautiful and has its pros and cons - you just need to decide what area is most suited to your personal tastes. I don't like to pit one part of the island against another and just suggest doing as much research as you can on the various areas (North, East, South and West) and their amenities and personalities.

For instance the least "touristy" of all the areas here on Kaua'i is the West Side, which I love - but it does not have a ton of amenities for visitors and is the dry part of the island (which means it is always the warmest and driest part of Kaua'i year-round), so many visitors don't venture out there to stay.

I think finding out what time of year you are coming is a good first step towards advising you.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
8 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai-First trip,what area is recommended?

Thanks for the responses.I appreciate all the advice.I'll try and address some questions. It seems the time of year is the main factor. We would probably go late spring or early fall. Would try and avoid the summer months because we have the option to travel when the crowds are less,just the two of us going. Sounds like the Princeville area would be OK during those times? Budget is flexible. Place just has to be clean doesn't have to be new. We have spent between 150 to 500 a night previously. The higher prices we paid were for specific things..like getting a huge ocean view whenever we were in Maui during the whale migration so we could watch from the lanai We live in California so can usually get pretty good airfare regardless. Any further advice would be welcome!

California
Level Contributor
36,040 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai-First trip,what area is recommended?

Late spring and fall are wonderful on the North Shore. If your budget is a flexible as you say, then you should be able to find something really nice in Anini. I love this area. Do read as many reviews as possible, because often, the closer to the water, the more mold issues you will have, and you want someone who really cares for their island home and keeps it up.

Really consider Hanalei. This is a terrific location.

http://www.beachkauai.com/Hanaleimoon.html

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai-First trip,what area is recommended?

Don't sweat the touristy issue. No place on Kauai screams touristy the way I think of that word. Even Poipu. I have to chuckle when I hear of Poipu being called the dreaded T word. Waikiki and the likes come to mind and it's nothing like that at all. Nor is the Princeville/Hanalaei area. In relative terms both the south and north shores contain greater numbers of tourists. The main district of Hanalei screams tourists on a summer day just as much as Poipu. But I wouildn't call either area touristy.

So if you pick late spring, early Fall you're in even better shape. Weather is good island wide and you could stay anywhere and not worry about it.

Tourists don't flock to just one attraction or one area. There are places all over the island that tourists visit whether it be the lookout at Waimea or Ke'e Beach at the end of the road on the north shore. Those places and others where tourists flock are certainly worth becoming one of the masses just to see them. If one avoided groups of tourists you might miss some of the best sites to see. I always wonder what's so bad about being a tourist anyway? Embrace it. At least on Kauai you won't have peddlars in your face, imposing on you and hawking their cheap junk. To me, that is touristy.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai-First trip,what area is recommended?

When we were tourists, we never minded being in touristy areas. The best rentals and restaurants are in those places and after all we were" tourists". The time periods you are picking should make any place on the island OK weather wise. Have fun searching for the right place.

9. Re: Kauai-First trip,what area is recommended?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2013, 05:15