We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Na Pali Boat tour for people that get seasick?

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Which Na Pali Boat tour for people that get seasick?

We will be taking our first trip to Kauai in early February 2013 and really want to see the Na Pali coast from boat. I have done a search for Tour operators and there is lots to choose from.

Our biggest problem is my wife get sea sick almost every time. We have done numerous boat trips on the other islands and she has tried all types of ginger, Bonamine, Gravol etc etc. Nothing seems to work and she gets seasick. Most of these boat trips were bigger boats for 40-60 people and fairly calm conditions. Strangely the only time she didn't get seasick was on the little inflatable type rubber dingys that only carry 15 people or so. I think most seasick type people have an easier time on larger boats, but my wife seems to be the opposite, if that makes any sense? Maybe the waters were calm on that day smaller in smaller inflatable. She seems to think going faster helps, it's the slow trolling along going up and down that does her in, and thats why the smaller inflatable worked better for her because you got a better sense of speed in it, but maybe it's just that the water was more calm that day, I don't know for sure.

We are staying in Poipu and would prefer to take a tour starting from the south coast. Also we would prefer something short and sweet (maybe a couple hours) and not a dinner cruise, snorkelling, shoreline stop or other excursion where it might ruin her day if we are on the water too long.

She wants to go in a smaller boat. But my thoughts are that the water at that time of year may be rougher along the Na Pali coast, and therefore that smaller boat will be rocking quite a bit and we would be better off in a larger boat.

This is where I could really use the use the advice of others with experience here. Has anynody else taken a Na Pali boat tour that fit out criteria? Is a bigger boat better for her? Would we be better off driving up to the North Shore and going from there? Thanks.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,508 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Na Pali Boat tour for people that get seasick?

In February the tours will only be leaving from the south. Liko uses a small power-cat, which might work for you, but the ocean is most likely to be ROUGH. Has she tried a prescription medication? Sounds like it would be worth talking to your doctor.

California
Level Contributor
36,040 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Na Pali Boat tour for people that get seasick?

Yup she should talk to her dr about getting the patch! It makes me dizzy but at least I don't feed the fish. Maybe the wife needs to sit this one out or how about a helicopter or fixed wing flight to see the coastline? Feb it could be rocking and rolling.....

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Na Pali Boat tour for people that get seasick?

From a professional U.S.C.G LICENSED Merchant Marine Capt. ...with about 40 years of expeience ...skippering boats on the waters of half the known world.

If a person gets seasick....STAY OFF A BOAT, espeically in february.

Some sea sick remedies work for some people, all different types are available, some do not work for anyone.

I do not understand continually putting someone who gets sea sick on any ocean tour. What is the thinking on that ?

There may be a south shore tour along the poipu area by capt. andy, but even if calmer than up north , those effected by motion sickness can still get violently ill.

Recommend the simple remdy of prevention...STAY ON LAND.

Denny

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Na Pali Boat tour for people that get seasick?

Sounds like you've run through all of the various remedies already. I would say the best chance to beat it is by taking one of the largest and most stable catamarans that run out of Port Allen, like Captain Andy's or HoloHolo. Even then I don't know if you can beat it. I've been with people who have never been seasick before become ill on these tours.

I've taken Napali cruises in February and not all were rough seas but even on those calmer trips I've seen people sick. Perhaps the suggestion of an air trip might be better.

Edited: 16 December 2012, 17:46
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Na Pali Boat tour for people that get seasick?

Hi Uncoiler,

Your wife sounds just like me! My husband and I will be in Kauai for the first time from Jan 21- 27th. I researched Na Pali boat trips and came to the conclusion that I just won'be be able to endure it. I booked a helicopter ride instead and hopefully I won't get sick on the helicopter. The helicopter ride is only an hour so I should be fine if I take some Gravol. I just need to find something that will calm the nerves as it will be my first helicopter ride.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Na Pali Boat tour for people that get seasick?

Good info peeps, thanks. We will look into the patch for sure. It is our opinion that the best way to see this coast is by boat with the wind blowing through your hair. We have done chopper tours on other islands, but they go by so fast you really can't take it in so to speak, and your views can be somewhat restricted.

I think the key is the ocean conditions. I used to book tours ahead of time to guarantee a spot. However we may consider waiting until we get there and see what the ocean conditions are expected to be. If they are average or better, maybe we can get on as walk ups or book a day ahead? Is there any chance of that with Cap Andy or Holoholo? I know they will have you believe you need to book ahead, but other similar tours I have taken on Maui and BI at that time of year were not sold out. We would likely do the 3.5 to 4 hours sunset cruise with either outfit listed above.

California
Level Contributor
36,040 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Na Pali Boat tour for people that get seasick?

My suggestion is book a tour early in your trip ahead of time and if its rough you can cancel within 24 hours if they don't cancel for you. At least you have a reservation.

I have been on helicopter tours on almost all the islands, and Kauai's is the best hands down. I agree its pretty special from a boat too. You can always take your chances that a seat will be open at the last minute, but its also a possibility they will be sold out because Feb can be busy. You have two pretty big boats to choose from, Capt Andy's and Holo Holo. They can also tell you where to sit to avoid getting sick. Its the ride back that is usually rough. Good luck.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Na Pali Boat tour for people that get seasick?

When I went on the Holo Holo catamaran a couple of people got sick off the back of the boat. Yuck! Stay off the boat if you are likely to be sick. Give the other passengers a break, nothing like seeing people retching up lunch.....

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Na Pali Boat tour for people that get seasick?

Consider fixed wing tour by Wings Over Kauai.

http://www.wingsoverkauai.com/

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Na Pali Boat tour for people that get seasick?

My wife looked into the patch, and with the possible side effects she isn't to pumped about that either, plus it's unkown if that would even work for her anyway. I think the boat trip is too much of a gamble, especially when it's 3.5-4 hours long.

As suggested by others, an air tour is our best bet, and the Wings Over Kauai sure looks like a good one. Plus the reviews are outstanding, thanks for the link.