We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Facilities at Polihale Beach State Beach Park??

Kalaheo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Facilities at Polihale Beach State Beach Park??

My son and wife are going to camp a night at Polihale during Christmas week. I have driven to the monkey pod tree but then went left. I did not go the last mile to the parking lot because the UKG book warned about soft sand. Is there any problem driving the last mile in a 2 wheel drive SUV? At the parking lot, what facilities are available: fresh water, toilets, showers? Is there a park attendant there at any time? Can you buy your overnight camping permit there? Do you have to check in if no one is there? Mahalo

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Facilities at Polihale Beach State Beach Park??

You buy the permits at the County Building in town. There are no attendants on Kauai Beaches. A handful have lifeguards, but this is a remote spot. You might have a County Employee come by checking for permits but maybe not.

People get stuck out there all the time in 2WD vehicles. If you are careful and lucky you can do it, but you're taking a chance.

As to facilities, no idea what shape they are in.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Facilities at Polihale Beach State Beach Park??

Polihale is a state park so not sure if the county has permits. Here's the link.

hawaiistateparks.org/parks/kauai/index.cfm…

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Facilities at Polihale Beach State Beach Park??

Aloha from Kaua'i!

You need to drive all the way to the right as far as you can go in order to get to the established "camping" area where there are toilets, showers, and water.

This is a very remote spot and there are no lifeguards. Definitely not an area that is suggested for swimming!

Most people camp on the sand and have 4WD - but if you don't, there are a few camp areas up by the bathrooms above the main beach area.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Facilities at Polihale Beach State Beach Park??

As alluded to in 3chi's post, you can get camping permit from State online at following link. There are tabs with various info regarding Polihale and scroll down to lower right to select "Make Reservations" or use the "Reservations" tab in upper reight.. Either one will then lead you to make an account etc:

https:/…1690.html

Edited: 16 December 2012, 23:51
Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Facilities at Polihale Beach State Beach Park??

I will confirm that Polihale is a state park and reservations can only be made (and paid for) online at the URL that CTinAZ gave). The state had cutbacks recently and closed the permit office in Lihue, so online is the only way to go. The advantage is that you can make your reservation anytime up to the last minute (pending availability, but that's not an issue in this season), however, you do need a printer to print your permit, so it can be hard to do on vacation.

The layout of the park is sort of hard to describe: to the left of the monkeypod tree is the access to queen's pond, the only protected swimming area, but it has no park facilities (and no camping) there.

To the right of the monkeypod tree is the main part of the park and all the facilities. If you go straight on this road, you go 1.6 miles to reach the day-use part of the park. It has toilets, cold showers, and small pavilions at the first parking lot, and 0.2 miles further toilets, showers, and a large pavilion at the 2nd parking lot/end of the road. There is some sand on the road between the monkeypod tree and the first parking lot, but I think a 2WD SUV could handle it (just keep going through the sandy spots, don't brake to slow down).

The actual camping spots are on a parallel road on top of the sand dune. Almost exactly one mile after the monkeypod tree, the parallel road goes up the dune to the left, and it joins back right before the first day-use area (so it is about a half-mile long). Along this road there are 4 designated camping areas (each with several camping spots) and 3 restroom facilities with cold showers. The problem is that the sand is worse on this road, especially right where it joins next to the day use area.

Here is my recommendation to avoid the worst sand on the road: either camp in the day-use area (I saw tons of people doing it), or go up the first junction (1 mile from the monkeypod tree) and use the first 2 camping areas (there is also some sand on this parallel road, but not so much on that first part). I think these camping spots up on the dunes are really nice, you can get under the shade of the trees and yet have a little path that leads out to a view over the entire beach.

I would also recommend buying a tow rope and storing that in your car. I don't want to alarm you, but it is just a good thing to have on the backroads of Kaua'i.

We did see a park attendant there every day cleaning the restrooms and emptying the trash, but nobody asked to see our permit.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Facilities at Polihale Beach State Beach Park??

See if you can change to a 4WD. Anything 4WD. It doesn't have to be a Jeep or SUV. This will give you an added advantage. The conditions change. Polihale is a wonderful place and shouldn't be missed so why not take a lesser chance to ensure you can get there and enjoy it.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Facilities at Polihale Beach State Beach Park??

Napaguy, I think w_winkleman is living on Kaua'i, not renting a car. I agree that 4WD or AWD would be better, but I think that a 2WD SUV could handle the sand on the main road and parts of the camping road. I have an AWD Subaru but with low clearance and made it through the deep sand on the camping road, and the main road was easier. An SUV should have large tires and some power, so just "float" on through the sandy parts.

Kalaheo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Facilities at Polihale Beach State Beach Park??

Thanks a lot everyone. This was very helpful. My son is young and strong, so I will let him hike in from the monkeypod tree.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Facilities at Polihale Beach State Beach Park??

It probably wasn't clear in my complicated description, but I think you can drive right from the monkeypod tree, go for almost a mile, turn left up to the camping loop without hitting any of the sandy spots. You can just drive until you see the sand and then park, which is what a lot of people do, then hike over the hill and through the camping area.

10. Re: Facilities at Polihale Beach State Beach Park??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 05:15