We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flocks of little Parrots?

central cove
Level Contributor
326 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Flocks of little Parrots?

We had dinner at Roy’s two weeks ago, around sunset and the bird chatter was amazing. I went outside and several flocks of green parrots were preparing to nest in the tree tops. I had never seen these little guys on Kauai. The Staff at Roy’s said that this was a very recent development. Anyone know where they came from? They can put a real hurt on a coffee crop as well as replanting coffee where it isn't desired among'st native foliage.

Should have trip repot out this week.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flocks of little Parrots?

I do not where the ones came from that are now at Roy's. There are several flocks of the green parrots around the Lihue Old Courthouse .... I assume they did not move down to Roy's.

The following is an old article but some folks get paid keeping the various birds away from newly planted crop fields:

thegardenisland.com/news/making-money-chasin…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flocks of little Parrots?

You see parrots in a number of places. They escape and there's nothing in the way of predators here. We had a love bird bang on the glass wanting in to be fed..........

And they breed fast.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flocks of little Parrots?

No little green parrots here in Banyan Harbor but I have experienced large parrots back in orange county....really, really loud large parrots. They also escaped captivity by humanoids and gathered in flocks to announce their existance.

I suppose if visitors want large parrots here on Kauai, the county could douse the chickens with green and yellow paint.

Yep Kauai Chicken Parrots......200,000 of em.

Joy to the World

Denny

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Flocks of little Parrots?

I've seen the same small green parrots flock around Kukui Grove shopping center. They were mostly in the queen palms that line the north entrance (Longs & Starbucks side).

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flocks of little Parrots?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I've lived here in the Po'ipu area for 15 years fairly close to the Kiahuna Golf Course area and surrounding spots.

When I first moved here, we had flocks of wild green parrots that would roost every night in the large trees just next door to us - this was a large piece of vacant land with big trees, bushes, etc. I loved hearing them swoop in at night and settle down in the trees, and wake up in the morning before again swooping off to another daytime roosting area. This went on for several years.

Then, they developed the luxury Koloa Estates subdivision in this area adjacent to where I live - the parrots disappeared and I really missed their presence very much! I wondered where they had gone to and people around this area who had lived here all their lives said that there had always been wild parrots in this area.

About 2-3 years ago I started hearing them again coming "home" in the evenings, flying overhead where I live - while they no longer have a home next door to me - I'm assuming they are roosting nearby since I hear them every morning fly over and every evening - I could just about set my clock by them.

Many introduced "pet" species birds have been introduced here - either by accident or by intention - these particular little green parrots I'm imagining were brought here as pets and released at some point in the last century - just like many breeds of finches, my beloved myna birds and others - these were not here up until around 1920 or so.

This is a photo - I don't know if it is this particular parrot - but these small green parrots look very much like this:

nationalgeographicstock.com/comp/…1009841.jpg

I love them! I'm very glad they have apparently managed to hang on with all the development in their roosting areas and adapted - they are survivors!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flocks of little Parrots?

We watch flocks - 100s- of these birds fly into the palms in the Kiahuna golf village neighborhood just below where we are to roost for the night. It is, as Janet says, like clockwork at sunset. Friends say they were let loose during the hurricane and have multiplied ever since.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flocks of little Parrots?

well...i guess it's better than a flock of seagulls?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Pq0xYr3L4

i hate to admit it...but i kinda like the song....lol.

8. Re: Flocks of little Parrots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 05:16