We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel and Leisure best beaches and Kauai does it again

California
Level Contributor
39,502 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Travel and Leisure best beaches and Kauai does it again

bizjournals.com/pacific/…

In Travel + Leisure's January issue, Polihale Beach is considered the world's best secluded beach, with the magazine giving this description: "Verdant cliffs frame the westernmost public beach on Kauai, accessible only via old farm roads."

California
Level Contributor
9,905 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel and Leisure best beaches and Kauai does it again

Polihale is one of the most beautiful beaches I've been to.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel and Leisure best beaches and Kauai does it again

Many years ago our favorite beach in Hawaii was Big Beach on Maui. That was way back when there was nothing built anywhere near it and you could count on sharing the beach with maybe a dozen people at the most (and pull your car right up to the beach).

Polihale Beach reminds me of what that beach used to be like before all of the development, crowds and parking issues. I'm able to spend an entire day out at Polihale with a beach tent, drinks and good things to read.

Port Hope, Michigan
Level Contributor
93 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel and Leisure best beaches and Kauai does it again

We went to Polihae last year and plan on returning this year, a very beautiful relaxing beach, with great views of the cliffs!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel and Leisure best beaches and Kauai does it again

Is it difficult to find and drive a rental car to? Maybe a dumb question but we've never been and it's somewhere we'd like to spend a day. Deb

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel and Leisure best beaches and Kauai does it again

Sounds like that would be the place to go after we view Waimea Canyon and do any hikes we would like - would that be correct?

Where is there to grab lunch around there? Picnic or other casual.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel and Leisure best beaches and Kauai does it again

It's 5 miles down a dirt road to Polihale. Take a left at the huge monkeypod tree (about 4 miles in) for Queen's Pond or stay to the right for the State Park. We've been out in a small sedan, it just depends on what the weather has been doing. The road is rutted, but it gets worse during rain...I think the biggest hazard is bottoming out (tearing up the oil pan). It can get pretty sandy once you go towards Queen's Pond. Do be aware that you violate the rental car contract by taking the road even if you rent a 4WD. If you get stuck or break down, don't call the rental company. Hopefully some big truck will come by to pull you out or call for the tow truck yourself.

Hwy 550 goes up to the canyon from Waimea town - Hwy 552 goes up from Kekaha (the two come together way up). Waimea is the only place to get something to eat. Quite a few restaurants and Ishihara Market with a deli.

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 27 December 2012, 20:22
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel and Leisure best beaches and Kauai does it again

Thanks 3chi's! I had a feeling the rental contract was the reason why this beach wasn't on my list. As much as we'd like to see it, we just don't want to put ourselves in a "bad" position. I blew the engine on my blazer on a legal road at home and the tow bill was $500.....oh well. Deb

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel and Leisure best beaches and Kauai does it again

Is this actually in the rental car agreement? Personally, I've never seen it and don't recall ever being told this by a rental car agent.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 20:48
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel and Leisure best beaches and Kauai does it again

Deb, ask the rental company about driving out to Polihale. Same with Maha'ulepu. I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but it won't hurt to ask.

3Chihuahuas

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel and Leisure best beaches and Kauai does it again

Napa - I looked on my contact from Enterprise in Oct. It's in the fine print on the back "Vehicle shall not be driven on an unpaved road or off-road".

The same wording is in the jacket with an Alamo contract (last year). Signing the Alamo contract says you agree to all provisions contained within this "agreement jacket".

So yeah, it's there.

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 27 December 2012, 21:08