We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting married and honeymooning in Kauai

Puyallup, Washington
4 posts
Save Topic
Getting married and honeymooning in Kauai

Need desperate help and advice!

My fiance and I are planning on getting married and honeymoonin in Hawaii. He has been to Kauai before and LOVES it. I have always dreamed of going to Maui.

Now...we need to make a decision.

I want relaxing, sunning, snorkeling, renting a jeep and driving to other island spots, waterfall hiking, and getting married barefoot in the sand.

Please give your two cents on any of the above. Also Hotel suggestions on Kauai? With a great pool, preferably (without breaking the bank).

Thank you in advance!

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting married and honeymooning in Kauai

I think the question is - is there something on Maui you can't find on Kauai? Because everything on your wish list can be found on Kauai.

As for the hotel - my pick for a wedding resort would be the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort.

California
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting married and honeymooning in Kauai

You can do all the things you want to do on Kauai. I'm sure you can also do these things on Maui, but I haven't been there since 1986. Check out the Grand Hyatt or the Sheraton on Kauai.

Happy planning!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,793 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting married and honeymooning in Kauai

It would help us to know what your nightly budget for lodging is.

The best hotel pools on the island are at the Grand Hyatt and the Marriott in Lihu`e.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,882 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting married and honeymooning in Kauai

Also - when are you coming? How long do you have for this wedding & honeymoon? The more details you share, the better we can help you. :)

Puyallup, Washington
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting married and honeymooning in Kauai

Thank you all.

We are going the first 2 weeks of June 2013 and the wedding will just consist of the 2 of us (eloping, maybe a friend or two but not for sure). No wedding reception, just the ceremony on a nice part of the island. If anyone has the name of a wedding planner who could help online that would be great too.

We would prefer not cooking for ourselves while we are thereand instead enjoying the vacation w/o normal home-time duties and love finding little holes in the walls for good food and local hangouts. We love good beer and wine and exploring

Our hotel budget is approx $300 per night.

Thanks everyone!

California
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting married and honeymooning in Kauai

Check with Julie, who is also a DE here on TA.

http://kauaiofficiant.com/

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,882 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting married and honeymooning in Kauai

If you have two full weeks, you might consider spliiting your stay - south & north. I would get married on the incredibly beautiful northshore. :)

California
Level Contributor
37,031 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting married and honeymooning in Kauai

Split your stay either two islands or two locations on Kauai. Kauai has everything you want, but honestly the better resorts are on Maui. Sorry Kauai!

You need a wedding planner. It makes it so easy.

I have used Diana Gardner with Alohana Weddings. I adore her.

She'll do anything you want. Get married at Hanalei Bay or Tunnels. Awesome views especially at sunset. Hire a good photographer. She knows them all. She works with Julie a lot too. I love Julie!

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting married and honeymooning in Kauai

If I had two weeks I would get married on Kauai and then honeymoon on Maui - perhaps your fiance has not heard the phrase "happy wife - happy life"? That has served my DH well these last ten years, LOL.

Even if you don't want to cook, you can find condos with nice pools for less that you'll pay at the Hyatt or Koa Kea, though you'll give up the room service and on-site restaurant (except Kiahuna Plantation, which has a wonderful on-site restaurant).,

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,472 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting married and honeymooning in Kauai

With two weeks I would split Maui and Kauai and get married on Kauai.

For its price point, I don't think there is a better deal than the Grand Hyatt on Kauai. The only hotel on Maui that I would say is better hands down is the Four Seasons. You can make arguments for the Ritz and Fairmont on Maui, but I'll still take the Grand Hyatt over either.

Hotels on Maui to look at besides the FS, Ritz and Fairmont would be the Hyatt Regency and Sheraton Maui.

I would join the Hyatt club (Gold Passport), get a Hyatt Visa and see if Costco still has the Hyatt gift cards. Even if not, Costco members get a Hyatt discount and Costco Travel is great.

http://www.hyatthotels.hyatt.com/costco

There are great condo choices that open up other, lower cost options.

But on a honeymoon, I'd take the Grand Hyatt and be happy even if I was in a Garden Room.