We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short of time so much to fit in!

Braintree Essex
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
short of time so much to fit in!

I am visiting Kauai for 1 day only on a cruise ship. I love snorkelling for an hour or so then lazing on a gorgeous beach for the rest of the day.

I am thinking of booking a trip to kilauea volcano for our day on Hilo.

Going on a whale watching tour in Maui but will have a couple of hours spare around Lahaina port area and, booked to go to Pearl harbour when in Honolulu so was banking on a beach day on Kauai, Have I done this the wrong way round?

Karen.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short of time so much to fit in!

I would take a helicopter tour on Kauai and then laze on the beach - snorkeling will be better on Maui or the Big Island (take a small boat cruise to the Captain Cook monument - gorgeous!).

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short of time so much to fit in!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

First queston --- when are you coming? That will determine recommendations for a "beach day".....

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short of time so much to fit in!

You have chosen well, and 100% agree with a circle island helo tour to take in the overall beauty of Kauai, that many cruise ship folks unfortunately miss.

And, for your beach request......snorkeling is much better on Maui, or the Big Island...but fear not....a day at a lovely beach is within walking distance, or free shuttle from your ship.

KALAPAKI beach, at the LIhue Marriot, is right there in close proximity. A perfect day for getting sun, on a lovely and generally protected beach for swimming, stand up paddle boarding, surfing lessons, and one thing that I would like , but have not done is going on the outrigger canoe, paddling and surfing down the waves with a guide. This really looks too cool and great fun.

You could also go for a short and easy hike up around Kauai Lagoons, and afterward stop at the Kalapaki Beach Tiki Bar right there between the pool and the beach for a cold refefresher, or maybe Dukes Canoe Club for a tropical style ambiance.

Suggest early for your helo tour. One of the best companies is also a walk or trolley tram ride ( free ) to the Harbor Mall, which is across the road from Kalapaki Beach. BLUE HAWAIIAN HELICOPTERS, they van you to the helo pad at Lihue airport in about 8 minutes.

So, there you have a perfect day, all in your vicinity, and no worries about transportation.

Good on ya for getting out and exploring the islands that you will be visiting.

We see sooooooooooo many boat people riding vans to K-mart, Wall-mart, and Hilo Hatties....sorry folks, but that is not Kauai Island.

It is really neat to see the cruise ship folks getting out and learning about the islands that they are visiting.

STRONGLY, STRONGLY SUGGEST RESERVATIONS EARLY FOR THE HILO TOUR.

Have fun.....

I Komo Mai ( welcome) to Kauai

Denny

Edited: 07 January 2013, 19:50
Braintree Essex
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short of time so much to fit in!

Thanks for all your replies. Unfortunatly getting into a helicopter does not appeal to me. Before Hawaii we are in Las Vegas but I won't take a ride over the grand canyon either.

We will be on Kauai 20th march. What will the weather and sea be like then?

Will I be able to snorkel at Kalapaki beach or would I be better going to Poipu?

Karen.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: short of time so much to fit in!

You won't want to snorkel at Kalapaki - there's not much to see there.

You could go on a fixed wing plane tour with Wings Over Kauai - it is really an incredibly beautiful island and you can't see most of it by land. http://wingsoverkauai.com/

Edited: 07 January 2013, 22:28
Braintree Essex
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: short of time so much to fit in!

I will have a look but not sure I would get in one of those either. Sorry but it scares me.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,223 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: short of time so much to fit in!

In March your best snorkeling options will be Po`ipu and Lawai Beaches, both on the south shore. You will need a car to get there. The closest beach to the port - Kalapaki - is great for hanging out, but there's no snorkeling there to speak of.

I understand you want a beach day, but it would be a real shame to miss what's unique about Kaua`i - Waimea Canyon, the Na Pali coast and the north shore. As it is, you won't be able to see all in one day, which is why people recommend the air tours. If you drive up Waimea Canyon you have a good chance of getting a view into the spectacular Kalalau Valley on the Na Pali coast.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: short of time so much to fit in!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

March is an "iffy" month here weather wise - so if you are wanting a beach day I would go to here here in the Poʻipū area, or to the West Side - Salt Pond County Park in Hanapēpē is a great spot.

Kalapaki is a bay, so no clear water there unfortunately for snorkelling.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
35,540 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: short of time so much to fit in!

<<You won't want to snorkel at Kalapaki - there's not much to see there.>>

There is no snorkeling at Kalapaki Bay anyway. That option is off the table.

You want to snorkel? Do it on the Big Island. I would rent a car or take a tour of Waimea Canyon or drive to the North Shore weather permitting with stops at some of the most beautiful beaches in all the island. Check out a tour with phototours.com.

http://www.kauaiedentours.com/

Edited: 08 January 2013, 06:09
10. Re: short of time so much to fit in!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 06:16